Did you mean: 

Windows XP running AutoCAD 2011 to Windows 7-64bit running AutoCAD 2014

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dcasanares
389 Views, 4 Replies

Windows XP running AutoCAD 2011 to Windows 7-64bit running AutoCAD 2014

Hello,

I'm need someone's wisdom on upgrading an HP Z600 running Windows XP and its running AutoCAD 2011.

I will be upgrading the OS to Windows 7-64bit with AutoCAD 2014.

I would like to know what files & folders that I need to backup so the client will not loose any data and also keep their plotter defintion files.

Sincerely,

Derek Casanares

DerekCasanares@yahoo.com

832-245-0682

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
nrz13
in reply to: dcasanares

Off the top of my head, you'll probably want to backup the Profile (.arg), Customization file (.cuix), custom Aliases (.pgp), custom Lisps (.lsp), custom dictionary (.cus), any custom hatches made (.pat), templates (.dwt), Plot Styles (.ctb), and fonts that have been added (.shx, .ttf, etc.).

You can see a full list of files and their locations by entering OPTIONS at the AutoCAD command line and clicking on the Files tab.

I don't think you'll be able to reuse the Plotter definitions (.pc3) because Windows 7 will require a different driver from the Windows XP one.

EDIT:  You'll also want to backup .dwg files if not stored on a server or in another location separate from the operating system drive.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 3 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: nrz13

The ARG (profile) settings won't apply to a new version of AutoCAD - the search paths will be pointing to the wrong support files, new system settings will not be present, and obsolete settings will be carried forward.  Even more important it will be pointing to the wrong CUIx files, which can *really* mess things up.  Best to take a note of any custom support paths added, plus any of the critical settings from the different Options tabs.  Its a good idea to crawl through everything in a new release to pick up on any new or modified settings as well as rebuild workspaces.

Most of the support files mentioned can actually "live" on the server side so they won't need to be touched when migrating versions e.g. custom SHX font files can be included by adding the folder to the support file search path in the new version.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 5
nrz13
in reply to: dgorsman

Good points.  We have all of our custom settings stored on our network so everyone can access the same files.  I've never migrated a profile or cuix before because of the potential for problems.  We also usually make new template files when switching .dwg file formats (as would be the case going from 2011 to 2014).

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 5 of 5
jggerth1
in reply to: nrz13

the OP didn't mention a server - so my presumption would be that it's a standalone workstation.  Making the leap from XP/20111 to Win7/2014 is quite a jump -- personally, I'd go for a new hard drive and install the new software on that, keeping the old one as a backup so anything on the old drive can be grabbed when needed.  New hard drives are cheap, and springing the little bit extra for an SSD will work wonders for perfomance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost