Installation & Licensing

Installation & Licensing

chasehathaway7
Message 1 of 3 (429 Views)

Windows 7 Pro vs. Windows 8 Pro

429 Views, 2 Replies
08-13-2013 09:10 AM
Hi, I am getting out if the military and going back to school for construction management. I have a PC that currently has XP 64bit on it but I would like to upgrade to support the building design suite. With all the bad press on Windows 8, I am hesitant to get it. Any thoughts on which you guys would choose?
*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 2 of 3 (422 Views)

Re: Windows 7 Pro vs. Windows 8 Pro

08-13-2013 10:44 AM in reply to: chasehathaway7

If you have the choice, choose 7 Pro. 

Windows 8 is really only beneficial to tablets and touch screen computers. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 3 of 3 (413 Views)

Re: Windows 7 Pro vs. Windows 8 Pro

08-13-2013 12:07 PM in reply to: chasehathaway7

I wouldn't exactly say "bad press".  More along the lines of users trying to install software that wasn't compatible, plus a change in interface style which they weren't used to.  If the UI was closer to Win 7 we'd be seeing the "useless UI" complaints switching to "its not any different from Win7" complaints.

All the same, I would say go with Win 7.  Its more established, better understood, and more likely to support legacy software.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.