Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Acad 2000 run on Windows 10?

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
13317 Views, 21 Replies

Will Acad 2000 run on Windows 10?

I had  Autocad 2000 running on XP. That PC has failed , Will Acad 2000 install and run on Windows 10?

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
rkmcswain
in reply to: Anonymous

It probably won't install without some hacks. I can run R13 (Not 2013, but R13, from 1994) for windows on Win10, so there is a chance it will run.

Search around for others who have tried/done it.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 22
Darin.Green

That's way out of the scope from a requirements standpoint. That being said, the issue you will run into if you're able to get it installed is hard drive formatting issues. ACAD 2000 relied on fat32 formatted drives and windows 10 is mostly NTFS with very little fat/fat32 for other tasks (not many) so you should refrain from relying on old software on new technology and upgrade.

@TravisNave and @Mark.Lancaster may have something to share regarding the possible issues you could face.

If this information was helpful, please consider using the Accept Solution

Message 4 of 22

@Anonymous

Here's an article about installing Acad 2000 on Windows 7 through Win 10 but it requires you to purchase LONGBOW Converter.   My only additional thought is the activation.  You may not be able to activate your Acad 2000 software depending on the history of your serial #.  You could spend hours trying to get this to work and activation and in the end it may be cheaper for you to just purchase a newer version of of the product.    My opinion I wouldn't invest in trying to keep Acad 2000 going.  Smiley Wink  You are talking about a 17 year old application...

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Thanks very much. I likely will have to upgrade.
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: Darin.Green

This is bull****.  I have Acad LT 2000.  I had it installed on XP and eventually upgraded OS to Win 7 and then 8 and finally Win 10.  It still ran.  The PC died. Bought a new one with Win 10.  Acad will not install.   Evidently it will run since I already did.  If its in the installer, Autodesk should make an installed for loyal customers. I cannot afford to buy Acad again.  I like 2000.  Why upgrade to a new version of Acad when I dont need to?  If 2000 will RUN on Win 10, Autodesk surely can make an installer for people like me,

Message 7 of 22
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

I understand your frustration but the 2000 version was released in 1999, that's roughly 17 years ago and you think that Autodesk is just going to keep old products running to support new operating systems that are a year or 2 old?   Think about that?   We can say the same back to you and state get out of the mid 90s technology and upgrade..  Smiley Wink

I'm also confused by your statement..   "Autodesk should make an installed for loyal customers."  If you are still using the Acad LT 2000 version it surely tells me you are no loyal (Autodesk) customer...  If you were then you would be using a newer versions...  Smiley Wink

Mark Lancaster

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

If 2000 will RUN on Win 10, Autodesk surely can make an installer for people like me,

who said it will run on Windows 10 no one from autodesk did

Message 9 of 22
pendean

Read this, it's not a secret http://autode.sk/1IY4C2X
Read this, also not a secret, note the section about operating systems http://www.caddmanager.com/CMB/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/AutoCAD_Sys_Req_2000-2014.pdf

Read this, also not a secret and seems to work for many users with older software and Windows 10 http://www.howtogeek.com/228689/how-to-make-old-programs-work-on-windows-10/

And finally, as a last resort, you can buy this http://www.longbowsoftware.com

>>>...Autodesk surely can make an installer for people like me,...<<<
Nope, we all get treated the same: you're not any more special than the rest of us.

Good luck.
Message 10 of 22
rkmcswain

Hard to imagine that a PC that came with WInXP would run Win 8 much less Win10.

It would have to be a dog. I wouldn't want to try and run CAD on it anyway.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous

Ok Smart One, riddle me this.  I have been using Autocad since version 2.52.  I also have this amazing ability to something called READING.  As a result I prefer a text based menu system.  I have also been adding to and refining a personal menu file that saves me an untold number of mouse clicks and menu layering.  As a result of this I am blazing fast on Autocad 2000.  Looked at Autocad 2015 and was not the least bit impressed.  The menu system awkward to learn and in many cases it is faster to simply type a command than dig through multiple layers to get to the desired command.

So tell me.  Why should I upgrade to a newer version that was obviously written by people who don't even understand the concept of EFFICIENCY. BTW this is something that is extremely irritating and it's a worldwide phenomena.  It really saddens me because I can remember when memory was expensive and Time Cost Money and software was written to minimize memory requirements and programmers actually had to do Time Studies to optimize the speed at which the software could be used.  I will also point out that I am also old enough to remember that it took YEARS for IBM to refine the keyboard on the IBM Selectric to the point were even today typing speed records set by the Selectric still stand. 

What I am saying here is the NEWER isn't always better.  In fact IMO NEWER simply means it's cheaper to produce and any improvements are mainly accidental.  I will also point out that the hot new rage going around is Self Driving Automobiles.  Now, think about this, Microsoft can't even build an operating system that is 100% stable, impervious to hackers, and bug free.  Next time you consider trusting your life to a Robot ask yourself if is really safe.

Message 12 of 22
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Welcome to the Autodesk User's Community..

Its you choice to stay on a legacy versions..  No one here is saying you have to upgrade..  But we as users have no say in what Autodesk and/or Microsoft provides to their end users.   You have your opinion and that's fine that you voiced it here.   There's 2 sides of the story though.

I'm a self taught AutoCAD Release 9 users but I'm also open to change and keep moving ahead with technology.  I believe if you want to be competitive, you need to stay ahead on technology or you will be pushed out.  At some point I believe the 2D world of engineering will slip below the horizon and more customer will demand more in the 3D world.  In addition you are making a big big big big jump and trying to compare an 18 yr product that has been refined for that number of years.   Of course its going to look greek to you and slow you down at first.

I also want to comment on this "written by people who don't even understand the concept of EFFICIENCY"..  I can understand your point of view..  But your only efficient because you have tailored  your system to meet your needs.  You trying to take something you have used for "X" number of years and compare it to a newer version that you haven't even setup or learn to use the new interface. 

In the end, is every improvement Autodesk did to AutoCAd necessary over the past 18 years? perhaps yes and perhaps no.  Do things work smoothly each and every time?  No it doesn't.  Technology is constantly changing and its not always easy to maintain it (learning/cost)..  But if you want to stay back that's your choice and I'm not going to persuade you otherwise.

Mark Lancaster

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous

Mark, I would think that someone who claims to be an AutoCAD expert would know that AutoCAD 2000 was actually a 3D capable program.  As for it being 17 years old, this weekend is the weekend for the Woodward Dream Cruise and there will be many automobiles there that work perfectly well and which are much older than 17 years old.  HEck, I expect that there will be some Model T and Model A Fords Cruising Woodward this weekend.  

I will also point out that the ability to "tune" AutoCAD to my specific needs and tasks was what led me to adopt it so many years ago and to still be using what may be the last version that was actually "tuneable".  I will also point out that no matter what whizbang invention you have come up with at some point you need actual paper drawings to send to the machine shop to have tooling carved out of steel.  BTW, I am aware of 3D printing and have used it rather frequently, using 3D models drawn in AutoCAD 2000.  Unfortunately 3D models don't work for someone operating a Bridgeport Mill, what works is a 2D paper drawing.  Wake up Snowflake, there are actually folks out there manually cranking handles on a Knee Mill in this "modern world" and they actually produce tooling that works.  Unlike the "designs" I've seen out of some recent "college graduates".

My problem is I am in the middle of a major project for a big 3 Automotive supplier with 3D models of the work cell about 75% complete and a timeline that requires me working on this project every available hour and instead of doing that I am trying to kludge together something that will allow me to continue to work because my XP Pro based workstation had the motherboard go toes up.  Walked into a computer that would not even attempt to turn on this morning.  So, how about a suggestion that will have me sitting at my desk getting my job done Monday August 21, 2017. 

And, yeah, I could take early retirement but that would mean that my employer for the past 21 years would have to go out of business and about 75 people would be out of work.  BTW, I tried to talk him into an upgrade to Autocad 2016 because I did see the "writing on the wall" when it was available but got the "it's not in the budget" answer and he HATES leasing software.

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous

I 100% agree with this gentleman. Maybe it has something to do with age but reinventing the wheel should mean that the wheel is better and I'm NOT seeing that at all with the "upgrade". I've been trying to use the "free" version online to see if its at all worth purchasing and it is 100% USELESS! I want the old version back unless they can actually give me something that is worth the money they're asking let alone 5 cents. Frankly I wouldn't give them 5 cents for the new version.
This old kid I guess is going to look elsewhere for a program that is usable and that allows me to upload all of my AutoCad Lt2000 dwgs.

Message 15 of 22
tomhurns

People - The longbow solution is best. I have AutoCAD 2000 running perfectly on Windows 10 64bit, with my old serial number. This is how to do it, tested working 100% - Installing AutoCAD 2000 on Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10

Message 16 of 22
tomhurns
in reply to: tomhurns

Message 17 of 22
esteban8

funny thing, i have anew computer running windows 10 pro with a 1t drive. i created a new volume with windows **** manager and installed Acad 2000i ADT 3.0 and it installed and appears to be running fine.

Message 18 of 22
brew2u

Longbow works for me.  Acad2000i and a user since v2.18.  Buy yer PC from Protech online.  I always use AMD too, btw

Message 19 of 22
bcsnyder2

Did you resolve your issue?  At home I have run 2000i on a  Win7 OS for the past ten years.  Three months ago I began getting a fatal error msg upon startup.  I saw that Microsoft had pushed a couple of critical security upgrades thru the previous two nights.  I don't know if that was the root cause or a coincident.  I got a new Win10 system and installed 2000i without issues.  It ran fine until last night.  Now I'm getting the fatal error msg on startup again.  I looked at the Longbow material and it looks promising.  BTW, my employer updates Acad every year and we are currently using 2019 mechanical.  The only improvements in 3D capability that I can think of are the Loft command and the better color palette.  Not much for nearly 20 years of improvements.  I use the classic format and have the icons vertically arrayed on each side of my screen.  I too have numerous Lisp routines that I've developed to save time.  2000 was a giant leap above the older versions but I haven't seen that magnitude of improvement since.

Message 20 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: bcsnyder2

I did resolve my issue by running an XP Pro Virtual Machine on a Windows 8 computer.  Software for the Virtual Machine is VirtualBox by Oracle.  Once I figured it out I have found it to be a fantastic bit of programming.  End result is that I can run Office 2003, Adobe Photoshop 5.0, MicroGrafx Picture Publisher and a few other Win XP compatable programs.  The only issue is that Wireless cannot breach the device between the Host and Guest Operating Systems.  Most likely due to XP Pro not being wireless savvy.  As a result when I wan't to use our larger format printer I have to drop down to the Host because I couldn't get approval to run a USB cable thru my ceiling to the office above mine where the Large Format printer is located.  Fortunately the HP T520 is WIFI capable and I have a WIFI dongle installed in my computer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report