Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which DELL laptop should I get??

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
2044 Views, 11 Replies

Which DELL laptop should I get??

Hey, guys. I am planning to get a new laptop but I need it to run 3DS Max for 3D graphic design. but the question is which one should I get??

Below are 4 types of laptops that I am looking at but I don't know which one will run the program smoothly. Those guys in DELL kept recommending expensive laptops which is over my budget. Hope you guys can help me choose which laptop to get that can run 3DS Max smoothly.

Inspiron 14R
http://www.dell.com/my/p/inspiron-14r-n4110/pd

XPS 14z
http://www.dell.com/my/p/xps-l412z/pd

XPS 15z
http://www.dell.com/my/p/xps-15z/pd

XPS 15
http://www.dell.com/my/p/xps-l502x/pd
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
PiXeL_MoNKeY
in reply to: Anonymous

I would go with the XPS 15. But you will need to figure out what is the order of importance when it comes to CPU, GPU, and memory. Each one will have it's own benefits and cost. But your typical files will dictate the importance.

-Eric
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Hi, Eric.
As long as it can run 3DS Max smoothly. whichever laptop that can run the program smoothly is good with me. coz I am not too sure what works well with 3DS Max, so I am hoping for some suggestions.
Message 4 of 12
phloog

I'm in the middle of a PROLONGED battle with Dell, and wouldn't advise anyone to go that route.

I can provide details if you need them, but it seems like you're sort of set on them.
Message 5 of 12
Doughboy12
in reply to: phloog

...and there are 100s of people doing the same thing, with them and HP...so, your experience does not a problem with Dell make. Not to belittle your frustration, but it is your battle, and does not reflect anywhere near a majority nor an overall problem with them.
3ds Max 2012 Certified Professional
Windows 7 Enterprise 64Bit
Intel Xeon X5650 @ 2.67 x2 36GB
3ds Max 9 - 2013

Okay, so what laptop will you recommend? my budget is around mid-range (since laptop prices are different from one country to another, i can't give a price range).

DELL has been my pick coz i have a DELL laptop that has been working well for the past 8 years and now it is with my elderly dad. and other laptops that i have bought didn't last that long. hope you can understand where i am coming from with this.
Message 7 of 12
phloog

Doughboy, I get that there are 100's that aren't having a problem (maybe it's true, I don't have any data....of course if only 100's aren't having problems that may not be a great percentage)...

But what I do know is that I have what is essentially near the top of their line (XPS17 - only thing it's missing is the 3d display) for laptops, and I have a problem in Max that also has been posted on Youtube by another user. I posted for help here and with nvidia AND with Dell and have gotten nowhere. I had hoped for answers here, but I am more dismayed that the manufacturers have been no help.

When I had an older driver for the card, Mudbox would completely hang the system on startup. I updated to the newer driver, now Mudbox runs and Max has these unusable viewports. I guess I could revert the driver and have Max but no Mudbox...but for me the ideal laptop would actually be able to run both.

The initial post seemed to be looking for input, and so I gave input on my own experience with this manufacturer. My problem is not a single isolated issue, and perhaps more important than the issue itself is the fact that Dell and nvidia have been no help...for me service is as big as hardware in a purchase.

My apologies if customer experience is not what he was looking for here - I just know that four years ago I had great experience with Dell, and now they seem to have made some really bad decisions resulting in some severe issues in terms of support, and this machine has some real issues (for me and others) running the suite of Autodesk products.
Message 8 of 12
Doughboy12

When I said 100's I thought I got my point across without blowing out a # that was a complete fabrication as I too have no factual data to back it up. If I would have said hundreds of thousands you would have called me out on that too. It seems you just want to bitch about your problem. I do remember responding to your issue; sorry I didn’t recognize your name…
You have two SOFTWARE/PROGRAMS that are not playing well together...how is that a hardware issue?
3ds Max 9 - 2013

I'm suggesting that the problem is either the hardware or the SUPPORT and DRIVERS that Dell and nvidia are giving it. No need to get upset about it if you're a fan of Dell - I was for a long time too (I have an XPS desktop and this XPS laptop). Maybe most of their stuff is still fabulous.

It's not two software packages not playing nice together (unless you're counting the Dell/nvidia drivers as software, but it didn't seem that way)

You're suggesting that the problem is either Max, Mudbox, or the interaction, but then that doesn't really work since there are 100s or thousands of people using those two software packages together fine with no issue. To restate my issue: with OLD drivers that Dell supplies Mudbox will not even open. With drivers new enough to support Mudbox, Max is unusable unless you switch to one and only one viewport. I don't see this as an Autodesk problem, or as Mudbox and Max not playing well together. With all the cool links and transfer capability between pieces of the suite, owning a computer where you have to pick which one works is a bummer.

More importantly, there were long, long conversations back and forth between Dell and I when I was comparing products, and they were made aware of the fact that these were the programs I was planning to use. They said all would be great...it's not, and they have offered no solutions.

I'm not suggesting that the issue is commonplace (but multiple people have it), but I am stating as absolute fact that Dell has completely dropped the ball in terms of support. Lots of people on these forums are hardware gurus - I'm not and don't wish to be, so when I buy hardware I expect it to work or to be made to work in quick order. I can't spend hours fighting the hardware. I need to buy it, then use it without trouble.

Dell no longer seems to be interested in that from my experience. Live and learn, and I have.
Message 10 of 12
phloog

Just to be sure went back and reread your reply to my other post. The issue you described is NOT what I'm having - - you mentioned not being able to run Premiere and Max AT THE SAME TIME.

What I am saying is this:

DRIVER = OLD: Mudbox WILL NOT RUN, even if no other apps are open..but Max is fine

DRIVER = NEW: Mudbox WILL open and works fine, but MAX has unusable viewports even if no other application is open

So it's not about being unable to run the two at the same time (which I still think should be possible), but the fact that with one set of drivers one works, and with another the OTHER works...so to use both AT ALL, even individually, means changing my drivers completely each time I open a different app.
Message 11 of 12
Doughboy12

I understand you are frustrated...I would be too and most likely not even as patient as you have been.
It still doesn't relate to the question asked...but understand why you thought it would be good to add.
Good luck with a solution and I hope it is as easy as a new driver, or two.
I was not and am not upset nor a "fan" of Dell. I personally prefer HP, which is sad in its own way.
3ds Max 9 - 2013

Hey, guys. I am planning to get a new laptop but I need it to run 3DS Max for 3D graphic design. but the question is which one should I get??

Below are 4 types of laptops that I am looking at but I don't know which one will run the program smoothly. Those guys in DELL kept recommending expensive laptops which is over my budget. Hope you guys can help me choose which laptop to get that can run 3DS Max smoothly.

Inspiron 14R
http://www.dell.com/my/p/inspiron-14r-n4110/pd

XPS 14z
http://www.dell.com/my/p/xps-l412z/pd

XPS 15z
http://www.dell.com/my/p/xps-15z/pd

XPS 15
http://www.dell.com/my/p/xps-l502x/pd

go for XPS 15, xps z version cant choose quad core processor, inspiron cant get FHD display....
btw, XPS 15 speaker really good...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report