Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault FlexLM License Use

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
tahdesign1
545 Views, 7 Replies

Vault FlexLM License Use

We have a license file for Vaultpro 2015 that has 15 seats.

I have a need to break off one of those seats to use on a laptop to have Vault pro running for training video production purposes.

So a couple of questions on that:

1. Can I break off a single seat from my 15 seats license pack. This would mean I would need a 14 seat license file for the Vault Server FlexLM and a 1 seat file for the training laptop.
  2. If I do have a couple of license files (one with 14 seats and one with 1 seat) can I load both of them together back into the Server FlexLm tool to get back to the 15 total. If I can do that, then I can just use this single seat file on the training laptop as needed.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
DarrenP
in reply to: tahdesign1

1. Can I break off a single seat from my 15 seats license pack. This would mean I would need a 14 seat license file for the Vault Server FlexLM and a 1 seat file for the training laptop. Yes you can do this the easiest way is to regenerate as a distubuted license file
  2. If I do have a couple of license files (one with 14 seats and one with 1 seat) can I load both of them together back into the Server FlexLm tool to get back to the 15 total. If I can do that, then I can just use this single seat file on the training laptop as needed. yes as long as you generate both license files on the same date

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
tahdesign1
in reply to: DarrenP

Thanks that gives me some hopes in what I can do here.

More questions:

1) Since I already have a license file that is for all of my 15 seats. How do I go about getting a distributed license?

2) To be clear, you are saying that if I have two license files with the same date, one with 14 and one with 1, that I can load them both in FlexLM on my server at the same time and get 15 seats. If I need to "borrow" the single seat to move to my laptop I can remove that license file and use/return it.

Message 4 of 8
TravisNave

@Anonymous wrote:

More questions:

1) Since I already have a license file that is for all of my 15 seats. How do I go about getting a distributed license?
Contact your reseller for help or generate your license file yourself at http://register.autodesk.com

2) To be clear, you are saying that if I have two license files with the same date, one with 14 and one with 1, that I can load them both in FlexLM on my server at the same time and get 15 seats. If I need to "borrow" the single seat to move to my laptop I can remove that license file and use/return it.

I am not certain that you can borrow a Vault license, as it is held by the ADMS server.  Also, you wouldn't be running two license files of Vault on one server, that would defeat the distributive license idea.  You would run 14 on one server and 1 on another.  You would need two ADMS servers, essentially, if one was separate for training purposes.

Darren, anything else to add to my response?

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 8
tahdesign1
in reply to: TravisNave

Thanks guys but I see two different answers to question 2.

Darren says: yes as long as you generate both license files on the same date

Travis says: Also, you wouldn't be running two license files of Vault on one server, that would defeat the distributive license idea

My goal here is to use this single license on the laptop to develop training and return it when I was not using it.

My laptop does not connect to the network in anyway to be able to use one of the existing licenses.

Message 6 of 8
DarrenP

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks guys but I see two different answers to question 2.

Darren says: yes as long as you generate both license files on the same date

Travis says: Also, you wouldn't be running two license files of Vault on one server, that would defeat the distributive license idea

My goal here is to use this single license on the laptop to develop training and return it when I was not using it.

My laptop does not connect to the network in anyway to be able to use one of the existing licenses.

there is no such thing as borrowing a Vault license

vault does not have this feature

you would essentially be running to adms on 2 separate computers with no communication between the 2

the laptop would have a separate license file worth 1 seat and the server would have the other 14 seats

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
tahdesign1
in reply to: DarrenP

Thanks Darren and that is what I intend to do.

I believe my confusion is in your previous answer (your reply in bold).

If I do have a couple of license files (one with 14 seats and one with 1 seat) can I load both of them together back into the Server FlexLm tool to get back to the 15 total. If I can do that, then I can just use this single seat file on the training laptop as needed. yes as long as you generate both license files on the same date

I took that as to say I could have two files, one with 14 and one with 1, and somehow load them both back into my real server FlexLM to get it back to the full 15 count. That way I could disconnect the 1 seat whenever I needed it for training production

Message 8 of 8
TravisNave

It seems to me that you wouldn't need to do that.  Regardless, you can't borrow a Vault license.  So if you wanted to split off a single seat, you would have to do it on a separate server.  Whether you can add it back to the pool would depend on whether the non-training ADMS server can see your 2nd license server.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report