Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use LMTools for query only?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Vidikron
1065 Views, 8 Replies

Use LMTools for query only?

We have a license server set up for Inventor. I would like to be able to install LMTools on one of the department supervisor's workstations so that they can monitor license usage without direct access to the license server. But when I install LMTools (from the Inventor disk) on a workstation and attempt to query the server I get an error stating:

"FLEXnet Licensing error:-1,359. System Error: 2 "No such file or directory""

It appears to be trying to find a license file on the local workstation. Putting the name of the server in the "Server Name" option box makes no difference.

The frustrating part of all this is that I've successfully done this before, but that was well over a year ago. Now the supervisor has a new workstation and I can't remember how I accomplished this the first time.

Thanks!

Aaron
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
TravisNave
in reply to: Vidikron

Yes, this is possible. On your supervisor's computer, launch LMTOOLS. On the Service/License File tab, use the Configuration using License File radio button. In the box underneath, type 27000@servername where 'servername' is the hostname of the real license server, of course.

He will then be able to do the Status Enquiry of that server remotely.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 9
TravisNave

Of course, you can also install SAMreport lite and set up a batch file to generate a daily HTML page and host it on your web server. That's kinda neat.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 9
Vidikron

That works but when I close LMTools and then re-open it the settings are reset. So I have to select "Configuration using license file" and type in "27000@server" each time. Is there any way to get the settings to save?
Message 5 of 9
TravisNave

Not that I know of. But I can understand your concern. Especially given that supervisors are unable to perform simple tasks as typing in identical information each time they launch an application. That's why they're supervisors. They have been promoted to their level of incompetence.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 6 of 9
Vidikron

Heh... well, I figure they can manage, but I know that will be the first question they ask. So I figured I may as well go ahead and ask now.

Here's what's odd though, they never had to re-enter the information on their old workstation. I don't know what I did, but somehow I got it to work perfectly without re-entering everything. So I don't if I did something or if this is a newer version of LMTools that has made a change for the worse or what, but this is definitely a new issue.
Message 7 of 9
TravisNave

If they ask, I'd blame it on a newer version.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 8 of 9
ljb99

Have you tried setting the environment variable ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE to @servername on the supervisor's PC? I think lmtools honors that by default and uses it to find the license server.
Message 9 of 9
ljb99

Sorry, my mistake. The environment variable you have to set for lmtools is LM_LICENSE_FILE (only Autodesk tools use ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report