Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstalling Maya 2011 from OSX

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
SpacyRicochet
16610 Views, 7 Replies

Uninstalling Maya 2011 from OSX

I've installed Maya 2011 on OSX with a network license, but it seems that the university render farms only support up to 2009. Now I want to uninstall 2011 before installing 2009 to avoid any complications (and because I like a clean computer), but I can't seem to find any uninstall options. Google isn't very helpful either, besides telling me to remove some directories, which I'm not comfortable with yet.

Any official way on uninstalling Maya 2011 from OSX?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
frhervet
in reply to: SpacyRicochet

Hi,

I'm not a Mac user but Google is my friend (Some samples of uninstall) :

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-maya/autodesk-maya-2011/maya-2011-osx-64bit-trial-uninstall/page-last/
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1224
http://guides.macrumors.com/Uninstalling_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X

Franck Hervet Edited by: frhervet on May 6, 2010 12:46 PM
Franck Hervet

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
S'il vous plaît Marquer cette réponse comme "Accepter comme solution" si elle répond à votre question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 8

Thanks 🙂 Those are the ones that I found as well, but which I found unhelpful in such a way that it basically means hacking into your own system for basic functionality. And I still won't be sure that it removes everything related to it, which is why I'm hoping that Autodesk has an answer as well. If they want me to delete all kinds of folders, then at least that's the only way.
Message 4 of 8
frhervet

Sorry to not help you more.
Perhaps an Autodesk person could answer here.

Good luck.

Franck Hervet
Franck Hervet

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
S'il vous plaît Marquer cette réponse comme "Accepter comme solution" si elle répond à votre question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 8

You should have found the instructions on page 29 of the Maya 2011 Installation & Licensing Guide which is available from

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/maya2011installationlicensingguide.pdf

Uninstall Maya on Mac OS X
To uninstall Maya on Mac OS X 1 Navigate to the Maya directory (by default,
/Applications/Autodesk/maya2011/).
2 Drag the maya2011 application to the trash.
3 Open a Terminal window and execute the following commands, where is your product key.:
adlmreg –u S 2011.0.0.F adlmreg –u N 2011.0.0.F
Installing and Running the Product | 29
This ensures that product information is properly removed from the ProductInformation.pit file.

These instructions don't tell you what the product key is. For Maya 2011, it is 657C1

The instructions don't mention it, but once you have installed Autodesk software, you have also installed their licensing tools. Removing Maya does not remove those.

I'm not sure what exactly Autodesk's official position is on removing all traces of their licensing (AdLM). As far as I know, it is not possible. Some information is provided on page 62 of the Maya 2011 Installation & Licensing Guide.
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for all the help guys 🙂

In the end, I just reinstalled OSX entirely. Wasn't a big issue, since Maya was the first program I installed. And it gave me a chance to see how fast that goes. Maya 2009 is working like a charm. Do have to say that not providing proper uninstallers is kind of a pain, but perhaps that's just something that I have to get used to when dealing with Apple programs.
Message 7 of 8
david.lau

I have updated this blog post to make the uninstall Maya 2013-2010 a bit easier.

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2012/04/maya-2012-on-mac-how-to-delete-maya-from-your-com...

David Lau
Message 8 of 8
908Pinestreet
in reply to: david.lau

Please can you help me with this. i am also trying to uninstall the maya 2011 online maya student programme on my mac snow leopard, and to replace it with a disk version of maya 2009. I still cant tick the box on the install for maya core, presumably because it thinks I still have maya 2011. I deleted as much as I could find, using your instruction video but there were not other folders I could access other than the applications autodesk. What should I do next? Where should i look in my finder folders because i dont seem to be able to find any of the ones you have mentioned. - backburner, etc, etc, with the exception of applications /autodesk? i have done a complete reinstall of snow leopard mac disc on the computer but no difference and its got rosetta installed also.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report