Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to start license manager

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
estauss
2506 Views, 32 Replies

Unable to start license manager

Hello,

We are trying to move our 3ds max license from a Win2k3 server to a Win2k8.

I have a new license file from Autodesk and have the network license manager installed on the server and is configured.

However when I try to start the server it fails and when I do a server status I get the following error:

--------

Status

--------

Flexible License Manager status on Fri 7/5/2013 16:03

[Detecting lmgrd processes...]

License server status: @flex2.aero.und.edu    

License file(s) on flex2.aero.und.edu: C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk Network License Manager\License\3DSMAX7flex2.aero.und.edu.lic:

lmgrd is not running: Cannot connect to license server

The server (lmgrd) has not been started yet, or

the wrong port@host or license file is being used, or the

port or hostname in the license file has been changed.

Server name:   flex2.aero.und.edu

License path:  @flex2.aero.und.edu

FLEXlm error:  -15,570 For further information, refer to the FLEXlm End User Manual, available at "www.macrovision.com".

I have checked and everything is the same as it is on our 2k3 server.

Any help would be appreaciated.

Thanks

Eric

32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
TravisNave
in reply to: estauss

Make sure your License file matches the hostname and the ethernet MAC address.  Then see my IPv6 fix here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Network-License-Error-1-5-15-and-IPv6/td-p/2982...

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 33
estauss
in reply to: TravisNave

Hello,

Thanks for the quick response.

I have checked the the license file is correct for the hostname and the mac address. Also, IPV6 is off and has always been off.

Thanks

Message 4 of 33
TravisNave

IPv6 being off does not prevent the localhost loopback from being ::1.  You might PING the server from itself by hostname and verify you are getting a valid IPv4 or 127.0.0.1 response rather than the ::1.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 33
estauss

Thanks for the reply.

When I did ping the host name flex2 I got a IPv6 address, when I ping the fully qualified name I get an IPv4 address.

However I changed the host file on the server so that I get an IPv4 address when I ping and it still does not work. the lmgrd will not start, I get the same error:

--------
Status
--------
Flexible License Manager status on Mon 7/8/2013 11:13

[Detecting lmgrd processes...]
License server status: @flex2.aero.und.edu
License file(s) on flex2.aero.und.edu: C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk Network License Manager\License\3DSMAX7flex2.aero.und.edu.lic:

lmgrd is not running: Cannot connect to license server
The server (lmgrd) has not been started yet, or
the wrong port@host or license file is being used, or the
port or hostname in the license file has been changed.
Server name: flex2.aero.und.edu
License path: @flex2.aero.und.edu
FLEXlm error: -15,570
For further information, refer to the FLEXlm End User Manual,
available at "www.macrovision.com".

When I try to start the server from the Start/Stop/Reread tab it says:

Server Start Faild. The Server May Already Be Running!!

Thanks

Message 6 of 33
TravisNave

After you have changed the hosts so that both the host and FQDN both ping IPv4, you might need to kill the processes for adskflex.exe and any lmgrd.exe that are running in Task Manager > Processes.  Then restart the LMTOOLS service from Start/Stop/Reread.

What is your OS and FlexLM version?

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 33
estauss

Hi Travis,

Rebooted the server and still get the same error.

Server OS is Win2k8R2 and LMTOOLS is the one that came with the install of 3dsMax 7: Version 9.22.

Thanks

Message 8 of 33
DarrenP

@estauss wrote:

Server OS is Win2k8R2 and LMTOOLS is the one that came with the install of 3dsMax 7: Version 9.22.

that maybe why this version of flex lm may not be compatible with server 2008 r2

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 33
estauss
in reply to: DarrenP

I downloaded version 11.11.1.1 the 64bit, and I still get the same error.

Message 10 of 33
DarrenP

you can try allowing these ports through your firewall

The FLEXlm® based version uses the following ports:
TCP ports 2080 (for the adskflex vendor daemon)
TCP ports 27000 to 27009 (for the lmgrd master daemon)

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 33
estauss

Hi Darren,

I have the firewall off on the server.

Message 12 of 33
DarrenP

you can try starting from scratch by removing the service and setting it up again

before setting it up again make sure the lmgrd and the adskflex.exe are not running in the background via task manager also check the windows services to make sure the flex lm service isn't running

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 13 of 33
estauss

Tried that, and its still not working. giving me the same error.

I have even tried uninstalling everything, with no luck

Message 14 of 33
TravisNave

I was thinking this old program uses the sgiawd.exe vendor daemon file.  Is that correct?  You might need to add this file to the other .exe files on your NLM...

<attached is a zipped copy of sgiawd.exe> 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 15 of 33
estauss

Hi Travis,

Not sure if that requires that or not. but I downloaded it and put it in the same folder that contains the lmgd, adskflex, lmutil, etc...and rebooted the server and still no luck.

Message 16 of 33
TravisNave

You unzipped it right?  Can you copy/paste the header part of your license file here?  That will be the first 3 lines. 

I wanna make sure what vendor daemon it uses and what port.  For example, one of my older files looks like this:

SERVER servername 0012345678ab 7111
USE_SERVER
VENDOR sgiawd

Definitely uses sgiawd on port 7111.  Yours might shed some light on the case. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 17 of 33
estauss

Hi Travis,

Here is the top 3 lines

SERVER FLEX2.AERO.UND.EDU 005056AA1A70
USE_SERVER
VENDOR adskflex port=2080

Message 18 of 33
TravisNave

Thanks. And you didn't combine your Max license with another license right?

Autodesk Forums:
Message 19 of 33
estauss

Hi Travis,

No I have not. This is actually the first license I have tried putting on this server. This server does nothing else. Its purpose is to host licenses.

Message 20 of 33
TravisNave

Do you have the box checked to use the domain name too? Your .lic is FQDN.

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report