Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13
zim1and2
2116 Views, 12 Replies

two computers

Hello. I am looking to buy 2007 LT from a retail store. I need to be able to use it on 2 computers at work for 2 employees. Can I purchase just 1 program and install it on each computer? Are there any problems buying the software from a retail store such as Staples or Office Depot? I am in the USA. Thanks for any help
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
TravisNave
in reply to: zim1and2

For two employees, no you cannot. You will need two licenses. The EULA is clear when it states that a second installation can be made on another computer given that it is used by the same person and not at the same time.

Since you have two computers with two different users, this would be breaking the license agreement.

As for buying from retail, you wouldn't get software support. So if that is important to you along with additional benefits, find your nearest reseller.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 13
zim1and2

Thanks for your help. Since I have 2 computers side by side, with 2 different employees, I could buy 1 license for just 1 of the employees and install it on both computers and have just 1 employee use it? If I bought it from a retail store, can I purchase support if needed at a later time? Would I be able to upgrade later to 2008 or 2009 LT if I did buy retail?
Message 4 of 13
TravisNave

Technically, no you could not activate one license on two different office computers that are used by two different employees. That would still violate the license agreement. They allow for an additional installation, but generally for a laptop that would be taken offsite and used by the same user, but not at the same time. Such scenarios are allowed. However, the situation you describe is a slippery slope.

As for upgrading, I am not sure that retail stores sell upgrades. You'd probably have to go thru a reseller that would be able to verify your license for upgrade.

If you are really interested in upgrades every year, you should just bite the bullet and buy one seat of AutoCAD network version. That would allow you to install it on two computers and ensure that only one could be used at a time. Then purchase the subscription that would allow you to get the latest version every year for a very affordable price. Message was edited by: TravisNave

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 13
lds04

I recently installed Autocad 2007, student version on my computer. Since, I have gotten a new computer. Can I reinstall onto the new one?
Message 6 of 13
TravisNave

Yes. In fact, you can use the Portable License Utility (PLU) to remove the license from your first computer and place it on your new one.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 13
aclark

I found these postings regarding install on 2 diff computers. What is the rule on using my stand alone license on my home computer to do work at home?
Message 8 of 13
TravisNave

This is allowed. You are allowed a second activation with stand-alone seats for offsite use, given that only you use the software and that you do not use both computers at the same time.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 13
TravisNave

Here is the legal jargon straight from the EULA concerning your second installation/activation:

3.1.2 Use Away from Usual Work Location.

(a) For Stand-alone (Individual) and Multiseat Stand-alone Versions. If You have acquired a Stand-alone (Individual) Version or Multiseat Stand-alone Versions, for each Permitted Number of copies of the Software, You may Install and Access, solely within Your Territory, one (1) additional copy of the Software on a second Computer provided that:

(i) such second Computer is owned or leased by You (and not by another person, such as Your employee, if any);

(ii) such second Computer is either a portable Computer or a nonserver Computer away from Your usual work location;

(iii) the additional copy of Software is Accessed solely for the purpose of enabling You (or Your employee, if any) to perform work while away from Your usual work location;

(iv) the original and additional copy of the Software are used only by the same person, and only one (1) of the Software copies is Accessed at any one time; and

(v) both copies of the Software are Installed and Accessed exclusively with the copy protection device (if any) supplied with the Software.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 10 of 13
webteriors

Can I use a stand alone license of autocad lt on my work computer and my laptop, if I do not buy a subscrption
Message 11 of 13
TravisNave

Yes.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 12 of 13
trulyamindeed

i purchased autocad 2012 and did everything according to their requirements to use it on my laptop for mobile working; it would never setup. weeks of trying to get it setup with their technical ppl only led to them giving up on it. BUT hurray, they will  install 2011 on the laptop instead. now after a year of work i've done with 2011 on laptop, not 2012 i have at home office. without explaination it appears it was a "borrowed" license from god knows where and is expired. i never received what i asked for and was entitled to have. my 2012 to work on laptop when i dont  have access to desktop at home. i find it tasteless that worrying about proprietary issues forces you to make it so cumbersome or impossible to give someone the functionality they are told they would have, using their product on another,mobile, computer, when they dont have access to their office. i literally mean weeks with your technical ppl only to have them access my computer remotely only to find i was correct, i dont get the funtionality promise and have them dump another version temporarily on my computer without telling me it was some kind of "borrowed" version. how about devoting some energy into solving that problem. the nature  of the industry in which it is used, it is not an unreasonable requirement that people would wish to have it portable for work situations. i am one person using one license which i paid to use. after all this time autodesk has yet to make this work smoothly?????????

Message 13 of 13
TravisNave
in reply to: trulyamindeed

2012 and 2011? A borrowed license? You are a victim of fraud and
software piracy it sounds like. Who did you buy this retired software from?

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report