Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring a license off of a dead hard drive?

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
Anonymous
7761 Views, 29 Replies

Transferring a license off of a dead hard drive?

I had the student edition of 3ds Max on my old computer which recently died. I just built my new computer and I'm now trying to install 3ds Max on it so I can catch up on my long over due homework. I find out I was supposed to have transferred the license off  my old computer. Seeing as how I can't do that, is there anyway to install 3ds Max on this new computer and license it without having access to my previous computer?? Any help or guidance would help a ton.

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
philip.s
in reply to: Anonymous

Your 3ds Max license can be manually activated due to the circumstances. Please install the software and private message me a request code (obtained through the activation process) and your product serial number.

Message 3 of 30
joshsennett
in reply to: philip.s

Hello, I am bumping this thread as I am in virtually the same situation as the OP.  The difference being that it was my work computer hard drive that crapped out.  We have a new machine here, built, and everything is up and running on the trial license but I cannot re-activate our standalone Product Design suite fully.  Please let me know who I need to send the request code to.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 30
philip.s
in reply to: joshsennett

Hi Josh,

To receive an activation code, you can either send me a Private Message with your serial number and corresponding request code, or call our Registration and Activation group at one of the following.

Americas: (800) 551-1490

Asia / Pacific: 65.6735.5688

Europe / Middle East / Africa: 41.32.723.9595

Message 5 of 30
bkeiser3d

Same problem ,Motherboard died a few days days ago, I have the paid Student version sutie of Maya 2013.  who do I need to contact when i reinstall it today?

Message 6 of 30
Anonymous

My hard drive hasn't died yet, but it is slowing down considerably. If I get a new hard drive will I still be able to redownload all of my programs with the serial number and product key that I have, or do I need to transfer the license? I will still have the same computer in essence so I don't know if I need to transfer the license. Also I have the student free version.

Message 7 of 30
philip.s

Hello!

In this case you would want to use the License Transfer Utility before the hard drive swap, swap hard drives, and then reinstall the software.

Please let us know if that works, and/or you have any additional questions.

Message 8 of 30
Anonymous

Hi I have autodesk on my computer but the computer has crashed I now want to use the license to that autodesk on my new computer, how would I go about this? It is Autodesk 2008 LT

Thanks

Message 9 of 30
Anonymous

Just another point. I can access the files, but they are corrupt, how would I go about providing you with the serial number as I'm struggling to gain access to it? Thanks
Message 10 of 30
Anonymous

I have the same issue also,I have installed BDS 2012 in the hard disk and got a free upgrade to BDS 2013 luckily from autodesk but the hard disk just made a sudden break down, and could not found in the booting. I connected as secondary to retrieve my files but the disk is not working anymore.

I installed a new drive and Installed BDS 2013 and used the same key as before but it says the serial number you entered is not valid in the activation.

Please help.

Thank you.

Noriel

Message 11 of 30
Alessandra.G

Hi @Anonymous,

Are you still experiencing this issue? I've seen in our systems that you activated the product today...

If you still get an error message, could you please send us a screenshot of the error?

Regards,

Alessandra G

Message 12 of 30
Marti.fraley

My hard drive died. I have my licence but no way to export it. How can I get an activation code to restore it.  it is Auto Cad 2005

Message 13 of 30

@Marti.fraley

Welcome to the community...

Wow AutoCAD 2005, that's old..  Are you trying to install this on a new operating system?

If the serial # is still good/active at the Autodesk end you can use this link: New: Get an Activation Code

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 14 of 30
Anonymous

I have a similar situation i have the serial number and installer for autocad 2011, i accidentally formatted the hard disk before doing license transfer . what should i do , because the software is autocad 2012 , i dont have the installer for autocad 2012 LT

Message 15 of 30
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Welcome to the Autodesk User's Community..

I'm a little confused by your posting..

You had AutoCAD 2011 installer and serial #.  But the software is AutoCAD 2012 but you're looking for the installer for Acad LT 2012..

Different products and versions here.  What are you actually trying to accomplish?

If you are trying to install 2012 but original info is for 2011..  Well the serial #s are different.

Mark Lancaster

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 16 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Im not sure because the before the hard disk died i recall it was using Autocad 2012 it may be done some upgrade from 2011 to 2012 via online or web support  i think.  i only have the autocad 2011 CD with me. Im new to this so when the upgrading happen im not there. 

Message 17 of 30
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Well both products are obsoleted by Autodesk and no longer available for download.  If there was an upgrade the 2011 serial # may be inactive now.  I'm only a user so I have no information about your serial # or your account.   At this point you need to contact Autodesk and figure out what you are entitled to.  To do this please chat with an agent >>here<<

Also since the hard drive was formatted, what operating system did you put onto this hard-drive?   Autodesk products of 2011 and 2012 are not going to work on Windows 10.

Mark Lancaster

Message 18 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

im installing it with window 7 

Message 19 of 30
Anonymous

I am also facing the same issue, my laptop with autocad 2016lt is dead and i cant install the same into my new laptop. please help.

Message 20 of 30
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Welcome to the Autodesk User's Community..

Are you looking for the Acad LT 2016 software to install?  Just install and activate on the new machine.. Don't worry about the license on the dead machine.

Mark Lancaster

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report