Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
669 Views, 16 Replies

TIMEOUT Question

If you set up your option file for a timeout period of an hour, and a guy steps away from his computer to go to lunch for an hour. What has happened when he gets back? Does he get the ability to save his work before it kicks him out or does it kick him out without saving? Shawn Caldwell CAD Manager Anderson & Associates, Inc.
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

caldwell@andassoc.com wrote: > If you set up your option file for a timeout period of an hour, and a guy > steps away from his computer to go to lunch for an hour. What has happened > when he gets back? Does he get the ability to save his work before it kicks > him out or does it kick him out without saving? My understanding (and I think I did test it) is that the timeout is only for programs which are no longer sending a heart-beat signal to the license server. That would be a PC that got unplugged from the net or crashed. But if the licensed program is still running and communicating with the license server, but the user is out to lunch or napping at their desk, it will never time out. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.
Message 3 of 17
kevinmukbel

Nope. Sorry but you are wrong. Even if the user is napping on his desk or out to lunch, he will be timed out (INACTIVE) and AutoCAD will still be running on his system. Just the license will be available for others to use. When he gets back or wakes up and goes to AutoCAD, The license will be available for him again as long as there enough licenses.
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

nospam@address.withheld wrote: > Nope. Sorry but you are wrong. Even if the user is napping on his desk or > out to lunch, he will be timed out (INACTIVE) and AutoCAD will still be > running on his system. Just the license will be available for others to > use. When he gets back or wakes up and goes to AutoCAD, The license will be > available for him again as long as there enough licenses. Interesting. When I first set up FlexLM, I did a test because the FlexLM documentation didn't make it clear exactly what TIMEOUT did. I was using FlexLM 8.3a and VIZ 2005, with "TIMEOUTALL 600" in the options file. The only way I got the "IN (INACTIVE)" message logged was about 10 minutes after I unplugged the network cable from the PC with VIZ running. If I just let it sit idle but connected, nothing seemed to happen to the license. Since this doesn't seem to agree with what you found, maybe the client app makes a difference?
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

Yes. Support for TIMEOUT must be present in the client product, just as for borrowing and many other features. --Cy-- "ljb" wrote in message news:411c011b_2@newsprd01... > Interesting. When I first set up FlexLM, I did a test because the FlexLM > documentation didn't make it clear exactly what TIMEOUT did. I was using > FlexLM 8.3a and VIZ 2005, with "TIMEOUTALL 600" in the options file. The > only way I got the "IN (INACTIVE)" message logged was about 10 minutes > after I unplugged the network cable from the PC with VIZ running. If I > just let it sit idle but connected, nothing seemed to happen to the > license. Since this doesn't seem to agree with what you found, maybe the > client app makes a difference?
Message 6 of 17
Mike.Lapinski.SG

I'm trying to utilize the TIMEOUT feature in an options file, but I don't think this setting is taking effect. I have created a adeskflex.opt file and placed it in the same folder as the license file. I'm using Flex v9.22 with AutoCAD 2005 and have stopped and restarted the Flex server, but I'm not sure how to identify if the options file has been loaded. How can I tell if settings in the adeskflex.opt have been loaded? Is TIMEOUT a supported option for 9.22?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous

Hi Mike, you can check it in the debug log file, if everything you did correctly you should see line like this one TIMEOUT 42600ACD_2005_0F 900 Regards, Efim "mlapinski" wrote in message news:19974871.1092759788117.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I'm trying to utilize the TIMEOUT feature in an options file, but I don't think this setting is taking effect. I have created a adeskflex.opt file and placed it in the same folder as the license file. I'm using Flex v9.22 with AutoCAD 2005 and have stopped and restarted the Flex server, but I'm not sure how to identify if the options file has been loaded. How can I tell if settings in the adeskflex.opt have been loaded? Is TIMEOUT a supported option for 9.22? > > Thanks in advance, > Mike
Message 8 of 17
Mike.Lapinski.SG

Yes, the TIMEOUT line is just as you indicated. I'm not seeing a debug file in any of the Flex folders though. Is it located elsewhere? The only log file in the "Logs" folder is ACD2005.log

Mike
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous

To read your log file, you need to launch LMTOOLS, open Configure Services tab and click on View Log. Also if you want to find your debug log file on the same tab in the Path to the debug log file, you can find the path where it's located. Regards, Efim "mlapinski" wrote in message news:23330395.1092768233068.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Yes, the TIMEOUT line is just as you indicated. I'm not seeing a debug file in any of the Flex folders though. Is it located elsewhere? The only log file in the "Logs" folder is ACD2005.log > > Mike
Message 10 of 17
Mike.Lapinski.SG

Ok, I think it's working now. I see the following in the debug file:

13:46:03 (adskflex) Rereading options file...
13:46:03 (adskflex) ...Finished rereading
Message 11 of 17
Mike.Lapinski.SG

Well, I think it's reading the options file, but I don't think the TIMEOUT feature is working. I don't see a line in the debug file labeled TIMEOUT 46300ACD_2005_0F 900 to indicate this option is in effect when I stop, start and reread. All I see is.. 15:49:46 (adskflex) Rereading options file...
15:49:46 (adskflex) ...Finished rereading

Does this indicate the options have been loaded or it read the file and ignored them? Is there a trick to adding the [options=] syntax to the license file?

Thanks,
Mike
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

No it does not, you can send me your license file, debug log file and options file, and I take a look on it. Efim "mlapinski" wrote in message news:9433431.1092783543086.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Well, I think it's reading the options file, but I don't think the TIMEOUT feature is working. I don't see a line in the debug file labeled TIMEOUT 46300ACD_2005_0F 900 to indicate this option is in effect when I stop, start and reread. All I see is.. 15:49:46 (adskflex) Rereading options file... > 15:49:46 (adskflex) ...Finished rereading > > Does this indicate the options have been loaded or it read the file and ignored them? Is there a trick to adding the [options=] syntax to the license file? > > Thanks, > Mike
Message 13 of 17
Mike.Lapinski.SG

Efim,

Glad to report the options file is now loading as it should. I included the full path to the options file in the license file and it is now reading the options as it should. Thanks for your time and help.

Mike
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous

Mike, If the options file was named ADSKFLEX.OPT and was located in the same folder as the license file then no entry in the license file should be required. -- Jerry Milana, Autodesk Consulting "mlapinski" wrote in message news:17025621.1092787326140.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Efim, > > Glad to report the options file is now loading as it should. I included the full path to the options file in the license file and it is now reading the options as it should. Thanks for your time and help. > > Mike
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

I noticed that you are having the same problems that I am currently. Would you be up for sharing the options file that you where able to get working? I am about to rip my hair out here!!!
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous

I'm having the same problem, my option files seems to look like what I've read it should, and it is being read, but it's not doing anything. Could I get your options file also.

Message was edited by: tim georgeson
Message was edited by: tim georgeson
Message 17 of 17
Anonymous

Would you be up for sharing that file?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report