Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly can't get licenses

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
wjaquith
694 Views, 7 Replies

Suddenly can't get licenses

I've cross-posted this from the Vault group at Scott Mollon's suggestion.  Really bizarre problem...

Yesterday afternoon I got an unusual number of complaints about not being able to get a Vault Manufacturing (2010) license.  We usually have enough, and asking folks to log out didn't help.  As I left for the day I asked IT to restart the Vault server that evening.  They did.  This morning no licenses were accessable to anyone.

A Server Status Enquiry reports 19 VLTM licenses available.  There are also some floating licenses of Inventor in there, and those are working fine.  Just the Vault Manufacturing licenses are not working.

A server diagnostic report doesn't show anything wrong with the Vault licenses, and reports them as available.

The debug log shows one thing that might be an error:

12:19:12 (adskflex) Unable to initialize access to trusted storage: 1

In ADMS, the server log has a bunch of suspect looking stuff in it, but aside from telling me what I already know--somethings wrong with the licensing server--I don't know how to interpret it:

12/8/2010 3:02:14 PM **************************************************​*****************
Error: Soap Exception ( mesg-id = 634274173343864898 )
Exception: LicensingError [319] (20)
Stacktrace:
Server stack trace:
   at Connectivity.Core.Security.Licensing.a(User A_0)
   at Connectivity.Core.Services.SecurityService.SignIn(​String userName, String userPassword, String knowledgeVaultName, Boolean readOnly)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.Message.Dispatch​(Object target, Boolean fExecuteInContext)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink​.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleRe​turnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateI​nvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   at Connectivity.Core.Services.SecurityService.SignIn(​String userName, String userPassword, String knowledgeVaultName, Boolean readOnly)
   at Connectivity.Web.Services.SecurityService.SignIn(S​tring userName, String userPassword, String knowledgeVault)

Accessing the Vault from the web client works fine.

What I've done so far:

-Re-read the license file.

-Confirm that the IP address and server name are correct in the LICPATH.LIC file.  We tried both the server name and the IP address, neither worked, but the IP addy seemed to not work somewhat faster (no hourglassing for several seconds before reporting the failure), so we're going with that at the moment.

-Confirm that IPv6 is not running on the server.  We tried things with the IPv6 compatible update, and that didn't work, so just to be sure we completely disabled IPv6.

update on this...I've tried things with and without IPv6 enabled.  The only change is in how LM tools reports the IP address in the System Settings dialog.  When I first started working on the problem, the IP addy was reported the traditional way: xxx.xxx.x.xx.  We installed the IPv6 update, and the addy changed to the new style of Ip address.  If I disable IPv6, it changes to ::1, which I understand is an abbreviated version of in IPv6-style address.  Don't know if all this means anything.

-Tried it with AVP disabled on the server.

-Requested and tried a new license file.

Running out of ninja moves here.  Any ideas?

-Walt

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
TravisNave
in reply to: wjaquith

Definitely do not use IPv6.  The patch is also not very helpful in this case.  What you will want to do is set a system environment variable on your clients. 

ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE with a value of @SERVERNAME (servername being the hostname of your server, of course.)  You will also want to ping the server by name and make sure the response is the IPv4 address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.  If the NLM is local to the vault license, then make sure the ping is not the :1 IPv6 local host.  I recommend making a hosts file entry located at C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc in the hosts file with the IPv4 address of the server as well as the local host of 127.0.0.1 and removing all references to the IPv6 hosts. 

Also set another environment variable:

FLEXLM_TIMEOUT with a value of 1000000 (one-million)

Test the connection again and let me know.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 8
wjaquith
in reply to: TravisNave

IT tried the suggested mods; no changes.  We've stumped just about everyone with this thing.  Currently we have a case opened with our VAR/Autodesk.  They'll be remoting in to try to figure it out.  Thanks for the assist.

Cheers,

Walt

Message 4 of 8
DarrenP

thats a tough one i don't know what else that can be done that hasn't been done already

let us know what they did to fix it

if they figure it out

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
DarrenP
in reply to: DarrenP

was the adms console updated with a hotfix or service pack and the clients weren't?

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
wjaquith
in reply to: DarrenP

Alright, we have an answer.  And we still have a mytstery.

The mystery isn’t why it quit working, but why it has been working since October.  At that time we added more Vault seats, and I had the authorization center send me a new merged license file.  They of course sent one based on version 2011 seats, and we’re still running 2010.  According to the techs who did a remote session with us, that works for Inventor, but should not have worked at all for Vault.  For some reason it did, and then quit working.

Anyway, we got a new license file with authorizations for version 2010 of Vault, and things are working now.  Thanks everyone for your consideration.

Cheers,

Walt

Message 7 of 8
DarrenP

someone updated the license file without your knowledge?

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
wjaquith

Nope.  It's the same lic file that I plugged in back in October.  No one tampered with it.  There's only a handful of folks who even know where the vault server is, let alone have login access to it.  IT swears they made no changes to the server, and I believe them.  It's a dedicated machine, with the OS and Vault's software loaded up and that's it.  I'd really like to know what happend, but right now I'm just glad to be running again.

Cheers,

Walt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report