Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student version - online portfolio

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
sinister.designs
3888 Views, 14 Replies

Student version - online portfolio

Can I use drawings done with a student version to put in an online portfolio? I have drawings I have done as a student and want to create a online portfolio to try and gain work using these?

Thanks

Jason

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
philip.s
in reply to: sinister.designs

You sure can Jason!

Work created with an educational license can be posted to the internet as long as there isn't any profit generated (sales, advertising, etc..)., as the student software can not be used for commercial, professional or for-profit usage.

Here to help if additional clarification is needed, otherwise please accept as a solution so that others can benefit from this information!

Message 3 of 15
pngo
in reply to: philip.s

I understand for-profit usage, but what is commercial and professional usage? Can I produce products using the Inventor student version and include them in my portfolio/resume? Is that considered professional?

Thank you
Message 4 of 15
philip.s
in reply to: pngo

Hi Peter!

You can definitely include projects made with a student license in your portfolio / resume. You're safe for the most part as long as the the work produced isn't generating money of any kind, or used in an application that might generate money.

Does that make sense?

Message 5 of 15
pngo
in reply to: sinister.designs

Got it. Thanks so much!

Message 6 of 15
philip.s
in reply to: pngo

You're welcome!

Message 7 of 15
motor133

so, can i post renders made in maya for example on artstation ?

Message 8 of 15
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: motor133

@motor133

Welcome to the community...

What is artstation?  Anyhow posting and sharing Maya information that was created from a student version is most likely a "NO".  If someone not including yourself can make any monetary gain from it then no you can't do it.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 9 of 15
motor133
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

but i can use it for my portfolio? or not

Message 10 of 15
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: motor133

For your portfolio, yes..  But if its posted somewhere that someone can make money then no you can't.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 11 of 15
mrgivens

Sorry i am probably (insert outdated saying about a horse here) but i just want to be clear before i commit to a plan of action with my portfolio. From what ive gathered in your other responses i should be ok to use models made with maya on my portfolio site even if i am selling other models  i made on that site, as long as i dont use my student license models to advertise it  or sell those models?  I only ask because since Maya is still industry standard i want to be able to showcase my knowledge of the software to potential employers, at the same time 3  years of school is a long period that i could be simultaneously trying to  build business relationships with independent developers and artists.

Perhaps i should just keep my student licensed assets on say my linked in profile, and only run the assets i fully own on my personal website?  i could see that being about the same issue if i'm not allowed to do the first question, or am i wrong?

Message 12 of 15
leowarren34
in reply to: mrgivens

@mrgivens In essence yes.

Feel free to use edu licenses in portfolios etc but they cant be used to make any money.

If you are making money of files that have commercial licenses then thats fine although risky.

Just make sure you don't mix up your files as once a file has the education attribute in the metadata it can't be used commercially.

If you have work done as a student the it can definitely by used to help gain yourself a job but it can't be used in the job.

Leo Warren
Autodesk Student Ambassador Diamond
Please accept as solution and give likes if applicable.
Message 13 of 15
mrgivens
in reply to: leowarren34

cool, thanks for the clarification. i think im going to keep the maya models under the EDU license on my linked in so i can keep them separate from models i might be able to profit from which i own all the rights to. 

Thanks again!

Message 14 of 15
leowarren34
in reply to: mrgivens

Definitely, edu renders will look really good on your linkedin profile 🙂

Leo Warren
Autodesk Student Ambassador Diamond
Please accept as solution and give likes if applicable.
Message 15 of 15
Adrianthornton

Is Instagram and ArtStation ok to post work that has been made using an educators license of maya?

thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report