Installation & Licensing

Installation & Licensing

Salvago
Message 1 of 3 (2,786 Views)

Stand Alone student license; could not start product

2786 Views, 2 Replies
07-12-2011 08:01 AM

I already posted this problem in the student support section; but to no avail.

So here again; the gist of the problem:

Background info: Windows7,
3ds Max 2011 previously installed(also from the AEC, without problem).
The licenses mentioned are all stand alone; provided through the Autodesk Educational Community programme.

This concerns both 3ds Max and Mudbox. First I downloaded Mudbox 2012 and installed with the provided product key, all without problems. However upon trying to run the product before getting the main window I got confronted with a 'environment variable MUDBOX_ALT_EN is not set' error, upon which the application would close.
Now I tried to fix this by using both the Repair install, and Reinstall options. After that I tried a full uninstall and reinstall, and deleting the adskflex_xxx files in ProgramData\FLEXnet\ (as suggested on the web), but all to no avail.

After that I Uninstalled mudbox again, and downloaded 3ds Max 2012. I installed the product, again without problem; but this time instead of directly activating the product I opted for the '30-day trial' (also suggested on a forum; so I could atleast use the product until the activation issue would be resolved). However upon running 3ds Max (at the end of the splash loading screen) I receive an error all the same. This time 'The software license check out failed. Error 5'.

After searching for solutions, or possible causes I found that this error should only occur with network licenses, so I'm rather baffled as to why I'm having it. I've checked and double checked that I am indeed running (,or trying to,) a standalone license, and verified by reinstalling the products multiple times.

I have found that upon reinstallation of 3ds Max 2011; I had it uninstalled before installing 2012 as I did not expect any issues; it now too gives me the 'The software license check out failed. Error 5' error.

Is this a known issue? Any suggestions as to what may cause it, and more importantly, how to resolve it?

-Sal

Salvago
Message 2 of 3 (2,765 Views)

Re: Stand Alone student license; could not start product

07-14-2011 11:35 AM in reply to: Salvago

Please, anybody?

I really need this software to work; Assignments keep piling up and at this rate I don't know if I'll be able to catch up..

Product Support
hashim.mundol
Message 3 of 3 (2,755 Views)

Re: Stand Alone student license; could not start product

07-15-2011 05:42 AM in reply to: Salvago

Please try to delete c:\programdata\autodesk\adlm folder and reinstall all Autodesk 2010/2011/2012 products you are using

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
For more tips & tricks: http://upandready.typepad.com

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.