I have a networked educational license for Smoke. I have installed the License Server Configurator from the disk, but I cannot get it started. I want to use a single server.
I have the correct host name (unless it is case sensitive). I used the mac address for my Ethernet adapter, however, when I run the "/usr/local/flexnetserver/lmutil lmhostid -n" command, it returns a different value. In fact, it returns a mac address for hardware I cannot identify.
It's unclear to me even if I'm supposed to be using the License server configurator or the Network License manager.
When I download Autodesk IPv4 Network License Manager for Mac OS X, I don't get "lmgrd, adskflex, and lmutil." In fact, step 3 of the readme for this download (The NLM should be installed under /usr/local/flexnetserver) doesn't appear to be true.
I've attached a screen shot of my stopping point. I dropped the license file in two locations: usr/adlm and /usr/local/flexnetserver/.
I can't tell what I'm missing, and the instructions are anything but clear. Can anyone provide insight on this?
Unfortunately that's a known issue with Mac OS 10.8 and it also affects other software products that use the FlexNet licensing framework.
When you restart your Mac, the OS may activate the network adapters in a different order, so the computer's host ID changes to the other card and the license server no longer recognizes it.
Here's a KB article with a few workarounds: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?id
That is a problem, however after many restarts I've never been able to get the license server to start ever, so I don't think I'm getting to the point you're speaking of, but I'll give it a look.
Go into system preferences > Network and disable all network interfaces except the wired one that was originally used to generate your license key.
Then power off, unplug the cable for 10 seconds and power back on.
Another tip: after you run the un the "/usr/local/flexnetserver/lmutil lmhostid -n" command, also run the "ifconfig" command in the terminal and compare the "ether" values in the command output to the host ID value you got from the lmutil command. I'm sure it must match one of those entries. Possibly a network interface that's not listed in the system preferences panel, that's why you couldn't see it before.