Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Network Deployment Creation

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
669 Views, 5 Replies

Slow Network Deployment Creation

Slow creation of Network Deployments for AutoCAD and other Autodesk Products?

Ok, here's the final word on why it takes so long to create Network Deployments using AutoCAD's deployment tool...for 2006 through 2010 and most likely beyond:

You absolutelymust turn your antivirus OFF before creating a deployment.

Failure to do so will cause your deployment to take more than 10 or even 20 hours and may ultimately crash anyway.

This is especially true for Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition (and later).

On a reasonably fast Dual-Core machine, deployments should take no longer than 15 minutes.

Also, be careful to note that on your LAN, the Administrative Tools for Symantec Antivirus has a feature to turn Auto-Protect back on automatically after XX number of minutes. If this feature is used, you must go to the AV server, disable this feature, and then from the workstation where you create the deployments, dissable your Auto-Protect.

Make sure to return all AV settings to their original settings on both the workstation and server after creating your depolyments.

Procedures for other makes of antivirus products will vary.

Good luck to all who have suffered (as I have) with this horrible time wasting discovery.

For some reason, Autodesk seems to hide the solution to this issue. Sure, they do advise that you turn your antivirus off, but frankly, I rarely do because in 22 years of installing and supporting AutoCAD and Autodesk products, I've never, ever seen any issues arrise when installing them with antivirus enabled. And local installations do not suffer at all even now.

Only Autodesk's Network Deployments since about the 2006 product release seem to be affected.

This tip will be posted on several AutoCAD Users Groups and should be easy to find in a google search.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
TravisNave
in reply to: Anonymous

Agreed. I have been making this recommendation since at least Autodesk 2005 releases. Don't forget to make this change on both the server and client if you are creating the deployment from a client machine and onto a server share. Some corporate installations of Symantec Antivirus, McAfee, and others lockout the user option to disable the anti-virus. If so, please consult your IT staff or sit back and enjoy your coffee.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

You may have recommended people do this since 2005, but I could not find any reference to this solution or nearly even the problem using Google. And I don't know why.

(I also don't know why my original post got double-spaced between the paragraphs! Sorry.)

I'm hoping the powers-in-charge will leave this topic on the site for as long as this remains an issue. I know I struggled with this for days before I figured it out, and then of course, remembered the solution. It's not very often I run into issues with the antivirus being left on during any kind of an install. It used to be that way, but both application installers and the antivirus programs themselves have become much smarter in the past ten years, usually not interfering with each other any longer.

But in this case, they do, and I think many people can benefit from having this advise and thread be easily found by Google.

Thx,
Message 4 of 6
TravisNave

Yeah hard telling with Google. But it is listed in this forum a many number of times, including by yours truly.

For example:

http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=5049337௹

But I agree... Hopefully Google will fetch this one more readily.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

This was definitely helpful! Thanks again, Guys...Dave
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Fastest way I have found to build a deployment for a remote network server is to do it locally in a VM having the same name as the remote server. When done, copy the deployment to the server and off you go.

Nick Edited by: nickseman on Jun 19, 2009 1:17 PM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report