Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silent Install off Navisworks Freedom 2011 without the forced reboot?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
2188 Views, 2 Replies

Silent Install off Navisworks Freedom 2011 without the forced reboot?

Is this possible?

The PDF that accompanies the software doesn't mention anything about performing a silent, non-reboot install, neither does the Autodesk website. I have to send this application to machines in The Netherlands via SMS and I can't afford for every PC to be rebooted when Navisworks Freedom is installed.

I've tried using "setup.exe /s /w /v/qb" but at the end of the installation the PC is force rebooted.

I've also tried using /norestart or /noreboot on the command line with no success.

I've even directly edited the MSI's being called and added a line to the Property table:

REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS

But nothing seems to make a difference as everytime the application is installed the PC is forced to reboot.

Autodesk must know that software like Navisworks Freedom 2011 is going to be used in a business environment and as such, we can't afford to have machines rebooting after software deployment. Even Microsoft gives users the option of delaying a reboot after critical patch updates so for Freedom 2011 to force a reboot without warning is poor form.

Is there a way to install Autodesk Navisworks Freedom 2011 without having this enforced (and unwanted!!) reboot?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
hashim.mundol
in reply to: Anonymous

It would be on of the pre-requisites which would be forcing the reboot. following  thread  discuss about the doing the installation of only navisworks freedom and language pack using msiexec to which you can add /norestart

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Navisworks/Silent-install-for-Navisworks-Freedom-2010/td-p/26...

Next task would be to find the pre-requisite package which causes the reboot in your system. (I assume it is system dependent)

command lines for pre-requistes are mentioned in the setup.ini file.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
For more tips & tricks: http://upandready.typepad.com

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I eventually managed to get it working by creating an installation to deploy these three packages first:

1. Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5-SP1
  2. Visual C++ Redistributable Package 2008 SP1 (x86)
  3. MSXML Parser 6

I tried to create transforms for both the freedom.msi and NAVFREE_LP.msi files but neither would work with even the most basic MST applied - so I couldn't use a transform to move the shortcuts or add a property of REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS etc.

In the end I had to give up and just use the MSI's as supplied. At least this allowed Navisworks Freedom 2011 to be installed without a forced reboot.

I find it strange that the supplied "autodesk_navisworks_freedom_2011_installation_user_guide.pdf" makes no mention of the fact that the application needs other applications installing first? I've only found out after trying to install Navisworks Freedom 2011 on a 'blank' PC and monitoring the changes made. At least it's working now but I am dissapointed that a company like Autodesk has failed to mention pre-requisite software in the instructions or provided an easier solution for silent deployment.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report