Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Profiles and preventing "First Run" installation

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
jd239
5808 Views, 8 Replies

Roaming Profiles and preventing "First Run" installation

I'm using roaming profiles for Autocad 2014 (network deployment) in a computer lab.  Things seem to be working but every time Autocad is launched on the computers it has to go through the very long "first run" installation.  I have copied the Autodesk folder from %userprofile%\AppData\Local up to the roaming profile on the network but I'm still having this happen.  Are there other files/folders that need to be copied to the roaming profile to get past this "first run" operation?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
asburyj
in reply to: jd239

AutoCAD writes into appdata local and appdata roaming and also access locations in the user profile folders like my pictures.You can find some details on this in the article linked below.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Seconda...

Jeffry Asbury
Message 3 of 9
jd239
in reply to: asburyj

"To resolve this issue, you need to disable the deletion of locally cached profiles for users who will be running the application."

So the Autodesk solution to the problem of roaming profiles is to not use roaming profiles?  Great...

Message 4 of 9
asburyj

Yes, unfortunately roaming profiles are not compatible with AutoCAD. 

Jeffry Asbury
Message 5 of 9
becky.vredenburg

We used roaming profiles last year with AutoCAD and it worked beautifully. We installed the new education software this year, and now it's broken. TWO DAYS before school starts. We have no other option but to use roaming profiles in our environment since the students go from lab to lab and they need their profiles to follow them.
Message 6 of 9
wolfgang.tonheim

we´ve the same problem over here in an Educational Environment with the roaming profiles of the students, but only with AutoCAD Architecture, and only with version 2015, all other previous versions over the last years since 2010 are starting quick.

Message 7 of 9
nicolacantalupo

so if I save the custom CUIx file to a folder on the server (so the CUIx file is not deleted when you restart the PC where it is installed autocad) and I make sure that, autocad take the graphical settings from that file. in this way I have solved the problem?

Message 8 of 9

Hello @becky.vredenburg@wolfgang.tonheim @nicolacantalupo,

Sorry to hear to are facing difficulty. Roaming profiles cause issues because there are certain user files with permission restrictions that need to be accessed when the software launches. In most cases, institutions resolve this issue by either giving full permissions or a predefined user account and password that the instructor sets for a specific PC (no roaming). In addition to the possibility of setting up a cloud-based virtual environment for users. You can utilize Autodesk A360 cloud-based software with user log-in to have students save files & save program settings. 

Please le me know if you have any more questions. 

Thank you. 

Message 9 of 9
nicolacantalupo
in reply to: natasha.l

and what do you think if I use one of those programs that allow you to "run as .." , in this case a non roaming user, but a local account

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report