Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2020.2.7 Hotfix Update issues

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
emccarthy89
1659 Views, 11 Replies

Revit 2020.2.7 Hotfix Update issues

Has anyone had issues starting up Revit after downloading the latest hotfix for 2020?? A number of users in my company have not been able to start Revit after downloading the hotfix, it gets stuck on the start-up window.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Revit on PC, and have been able to start up Revit again, but once installed the hotfix it again would not start up.

Thanks! 

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
natasha.l
in reply to: emccarthy89

Hello @emccarthy89

I have reviewed the documentation we have regarding applying Revit hotfixes. The common issue is related to improper installation practices.

I recommend conducting a clean uninstall, then downloading the full installer using the Browser Download from your Autodesk account, (not the Autodesk Desktop app) pointing to the folder location where the RVT.msi is located. 

Related Article: 

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable." due to missing RVT...

Please "Accept Solution" if a reply or replies have helped resolve the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Message 3 of 12
emccarthy89
in reply to: natasha.l

Hi @natasha.l thanks for your reply. 

The issue is when I download the hotfix, after clean uninstall/ install, Revit no longer opens. I have installed Revit through the browser, and downloaded the hotfix via Autodesk Desktop app updates. 

Message 4 of 12

Yes same issue here. The 2020.2.7 Hotfix breaks Revit, causes it to hang on startup.

Update was installed through the Autodesk Desktop updater app. Uninstalling the hotfix didn't fix it, needed to completely uninstall/reinstall Revit.

Message 5 of 12
toma3UPSR

I have the same issue after installing the 2020.2.7 hotfix.  Revit won't start.  I tried uninstalling the hotfix.  Still Revit won't start.

Have same issue with 2019.2.5 hotfix.

Message 6 of 12
mdavis22569

Hi @emccarthy89 

Were you able to get this resolved?  Just doing a quick follow up 

Mike

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
systemswest

With a week's time, I had to remove FOUR installations of Revit 2020 that were upgraded to 2020.2.7, all by way of the Autodesk Update App, because the application failed to open after the update was applied. After the first incident, I had to make sure that it wasn't a mistake, so after I cleaned it up--using Autodesk's own manual removal documentation--I reinstalled Revit 2020 and then systematically updated it, patch at a time, still using the Update app; with each major patch (2.2, 2.3, etc.), I would stop updating and open the application. However, as soon as I applied 2.7, Revit 2020 wouldn't even open, not even after 20 minutes.

Once again, I manually removed Revit 2020, reinstalled it, then applied all patches up to 2.6, but NOT 2.7. Shortly after that first incident, three other users applied the 2.7 update, each of which resulted in Revit 2020 failing to open. At that point, I issued a company-wide directive to users of Revit 2020 to NOT install the 2.7 patch until Autodesk comes up with a solution.

Autodesk documentation indicates that patches cannot be removed individually; the entire application must be removed. However, I note that starting with Revit 2022, it appears that individual patches CAN be removed.

Message 8 of 12
emccarthy89
in reply to: mdavis22569

Hi All, 

I have had another user in my office re-install Revit 2020 through the browser and subsequently install the hotfix 2020.2.7 through the browser also and he had no issues (yet) starting up Revit afterwards. Access to browser download via the desktop app - see attached steps to do this and please share if it works. Note you can also uninstall a hotfix through the browser. If you have it already downloaded you will have option to uninstall at step 3.

Thanks

Message 9 of 12
toma3UPSR

Several users in this office have installed both 2019 & 2020 hotfixes with no issues.

I tried uninstalling - No go.  Reinstalling - No go.  I finally had to slam a recent disk image back to my OS drive and all is well now.  Macrium Reflect image saved me a re-install of 2019 & 2020 and took about an hour to do.

Message 10 of 12
mdavis22569

Unfortunately .. I tend to find this to be an issue with permissions / Profiles more often than anything else. 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
toma3UPSR

This is the first time I have ever experienced an issue with a Revit Hotifx or update.

I did a large Windows update just prior to the Revit Hotfix.  I suspect that Windows update may have spawned my issue.

Message 12 of 12
Thanos603
in reply to: toma3UPSR

In order to troubleshoot this issue, a journal file from an impacted system would be extremely helpful.  It may help to identify which component is failing to load and causing Revit to become non-responsive.

Another suggestion is to temporarily disable any add-ons or additions.  If Revit launches after this action, the next step would be to enable add-ons one at a time until Revit will no longer load.

Lastly, a previous commenter noted that they were installing each of the Revit updates/hotfixes individually.  This should not create a problem but it is unnecessary because Revit updates and hotfixes are cumulative and include all changes from previously released updates/hotfixes.

Tony Michniewicz
Autodesk Software Delivery

Anthony Michniewicz
Principal QA Analyst

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report