Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revisiting the issue of Multiple Office Sites

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mmermel
275 Views, 3 Replies

Revisiting the issue of Multiple Office Sites

At issue is the lag time for opening drawings, plotting, inserting blocks and activating commands from tool plaettes on workstations at our remote offices.  The question: How do you handle your remote offices?  Do you have remote/redundant/mirrored servers at each site?  Do you use custom profiles at each site?  Do you store you libraries and lisp routines on servers or on the workstations?

We have 4 offices.  All our cad files, libraries, Acaddoc.lisp, pgp, etc. are hosted on a server in our main office.  We typically use a common profile for all office, with the support paths pointing to the same file locations on the server.

I resolved most of the issues for one remote user by installing our libraries, lisp routines and everything else onto his workstation.  This meant a custom profile and customizing a set of tool palettes for his use.  I do not believe this to be a good solution; it is a support nightmare.

Our inter-office connections are MPLS data circuits with T1 data connectivity (some bonded).  We have Riverbed devices between the offices.

Thanks

Mitch Mermel

CAD Manager

Matern Professional Engineering

Maitland, Fl

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
TravisNave
in reply to: mmermel

Contrary to popular belief (as you are probably experiencing) Riverbed does not work.  We tried it on our nationwide WAN and it does not work.  Your best bet is to use something like server mirroring or Vault so that clients can work locally rather than the network. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 4
dgorsman
in reply to: TravisNave

I'm sure they work under moderate-load conditions, such as working on some drawing files with periodic open/save/close operations.  But support files which are accessed repeatedly in rapid order really should be on a local server.  We've got our support files centralized on a server, which is automatically mirrored to the server in our other office nightly, and no speed issues.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 4
mmermel
in reply to: dgorsman

Do you have different profiles for each office? What about tool palettes? Mitch Mermel CADD Manager Matern Professional Engineering, Inc. Celebrating 25 Years of Quality Engineering and Service MEP/FP Engineering Consultants - A Solutions Based Firm mmermel@matern.net www.matern.net Tel: (407) 740-5020 ext. 609 Orlando I Fort Myers I Jacksonville I Tampa Consider the environment before you print this email.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report