Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reserving Vault Pro licenses

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Carl_mgfx
406 Views, 4 Replies

Reserving Vault Pro licenses

We have a license server running with 23 seats of Vault Pro.

The breakdown of who uses the licenses is as follows:

18 Draughtsman

1 floating license

2 for Processing

Total = 21

Spare = 2

However we are running out of licenses??  This prompted us to dig deeper and we found the following scenarios

User A logs in to Inventor and Vault client with the same username (same workstation) - 1 license is pulled

User A logs in to Inventor and Vault client with 2 different usernames (same workstation) - 2 licenses are pulled

User A logs in to  Inventor and Vault with 2 different usernames - 2 licenses are pulled

User A logs in to  Inventor and Vault with 2 different usernames (same workstation) - 2 licenses are pulled

User A logs in to  Inventor and Vault with the same username (different workstations) - 2 licenses are pulled

and so on.... each scenario will have 2 licenses pulled except the first listed.

So when looking through the Vault log I noticed users were logging on to Vault from different workstations (pulling 2 licenses).

So my questions are as follows.

1. Is there a way to limit the amount of simultanious log ins per user? (Especially when from different workstations)
  2. Does the Vault server request the licenses from the license server or does the client do that?
  3. How does this affect the license options file?
  4. Can I implement an options file that reserves x amount of Vault licenses per group and hope that sorts it out?

Your feedback will be much appreciated.  Thanks in advanced. 

Kind Regards
Carl van Rooyen
Application Engineer

Inventor 2019, Vault 2019,
HP ZBook 15u G4, Win 10 64Bit (ver 1709), i7-7500U, 16 GB Ram
Intel HD Graphics 620 with AMD Firepro W4190M
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
DarrenP
in reply to: Carl_mgfx

1. no i don't believe there is way if the users are logging in from 2 different workstations or users i don't think there is no way to stop that from happening  someone else would have to chime in if there is a way

2. the vautt server is the one that requests the license this is why an options file doesn't work

3. options file does not work with vault

4. same anwser as No. 3

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Carl_mgfx

Hi Darren

Thank you for the feedback.  It will be nice to see what imput anybody else has with regards to simultanious logins.

I have another question though.

What would cause a liscense being removed from a user who is actively working on Inventor (logged in to Vault) and also with the Vault client open and  logged in?  It is almost as if the license times out.  

Kind Regards
Carl van Rooyen
Application Engineer

Inventor 2019, Vault 2019,
HP ZBook 15u G4, Win 10 64Bit (ver 1709), i7-7500U, 16 GB Ram
Intel HD Graphics 620 with AMD Firepro W4190M
Message 4 of 5
DarrenP

yes that could be whats happening

is the log in sitting idle for a few minutes or does it happen when the user is actively using the program

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
DarrenP
in reply to: DarrenP

i found this that explains the vault license timeout: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault/Vault-Office-2012-license-timeout/m-p/3244650/highlight...

DarrenP

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report