Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reserving Licenses through Options File

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ZSHS2011
558 Views, 8 Replies

Reserving Licenses through Options File

I am attempting to reserve licenses to our dept. heads through the use of the reserve statement in the options file.

TIMEOUTALL 3600
GROUPCASEINSENSITIVE ON

GROUP Depts user1 user2 user3 user4 user5

RESERVE 5 XXXXXBDSPRM_2013_0F GROUP Depts

REPORT +"C:\AutoCAD_Log.rl"

The code appears to be working, as it does reserve 5 copies. I can see that in the logs, and the timeout statement is also showing up.  However, when I perform a status check, it shows the users who are part of the department as taking up another license... so for instance

8 total licenses are used

5 are reserved

3 are for users (However of those 3 that are for users, 2 of those users are in the Depts group i set up)

I should only be showing 6 licenses in use, not 8.

What am I doing wrong?  When I look at the log, I see that the user is shown as user1@PC-name, and I tried that as well thinking perhaps that was the user name, but still no luck. 

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ZSHS2011
in reply to: ZSHS2011

I believe I may have resolved this issue.  I was not providing enough time between starting the re-read of the options and allowing the user to take a license.

So what I believe was happening was the user was getting their license first, then the options file was being applied after they already had their license, so the User who was part of the Depts group was not being moved into the Reserved section, and 5 more licenses were being reserved.

After testing it, the # reserved licenses does decrease when a listed user opens CAD, and increases when that user closes CAD.  I will keep monitor this closely, but I believe its resolved.   

Message 3 of 9
ZSHS2011

I take that back.  It still isn't working.  Below is the actual file (names and computers changed)

# Comments
TIMEOUTALL 3600
GROUPCASEINSENSITIVE ON
GROUP Depts user1 user2 user3 user4 user5
RESERVE 2 85787BDSPRM_F GROUP Depts
REPORT +"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autodesk Network License Manager\AutoCAD LICE\Options_log.rl"

and this is what is shows under that product when I check the server status.

5 Licences Used

2 RESERVATIONs for GROUP Depts (OUR_SERVER/27000)
    user2 computer2 computer2 (v1.000) (OUR_SERVER/27000 1901), start Fri 9/14 8:31
    user55 computer55 computer55 (v1.000) (OUR_SERVER/27000 2301), start Fri 9/14 8:31
    user56 computer56 computer56 (v1.000) (OUR_SERVER/27000 901), start Fri 9/14 8:31

User 2 have used one of the reservations correct?

Message 4 of 9
TravisNave

That is correct.  User 2 has a license checked out as a result of the RESERVE.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 9
ZSHS2011
in reply to: TravisNave

TravisNave,

I think you've assisted me with every question I've asked for far, thank you.  I really appreciate it!  (I inherited the job of Unofficial IT / Help Desk and the pervious guy left the place it in shambles.  I am trying to clean that mess up now)

But to the question on hand, why is it showing that 5 licenses are in use?  If I reserved 2 licenses for that group, and User 2 is part of that group, shouldn’t only 4 licenses be reserved (2 licenses for the non-group users, 1 reserved untaken, 1 reserved taken)?      

(For the record this is purely a “Out of curiosity” item at this time.  I decided to give the department heads access to a certain suite via the include / exclude commands rather than reserve a certain number of licenses.)

Message 6 of 9
TravisNave

Yes.  Try putting the RESERVE on the product instead of the Subscription Package.  You might have better results.  If you want to send me the actual text of the options file along with your debug.log file text, you can send it to my PM.

Sorry for the long delay.  I have been out the last two weeks on customer sites.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 7 of 9
orikaplan

Out of curiosity, Why would you RESERVE exactly 5 licenses for 5 users ?

I find this scheme cancels the advantage of owning a floating license manager, and decreases license availability throughout your organization.

I suggest either applying MAX rules (instead of RESERVE) or purchasing cheaper node-locked licenses for prominent developers instead of dissecting your license pool that way.

Just my two cents

Ori Kaplan

OpenLM License Management

Message 8 of 9
TravisNave
in reply to: orikaplan

@orikaplan wrote:

Out of curiosity, Why would you RESERVE exactly 5 licenses for 5 users ?

I agree with this assessment, but out of curiosity, why would you reply to a thread that was closed three years ago? 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 9
orikaplan
in reply to: TravisNave

Hi Travis.

You're right, I did not pay attention to the date, but is there really an expiration date on these blogs ? My logic flows so:

You replied --> You read it --> Probably others have read it too --> Maybe one of those others now has a light bulb over his head --> I did something right today  (-:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report