Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstall AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 - Windows 7 Professional

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
coopdetat
409 Views, 2 Replies

Reinstall AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 - Windows 7 Professional

Hello all,

Our network server got in a bind after being neglected for about a year and a half. Management finally hired a professional service to come clean it up. Unfortunately their solution was to change our login credentials and set up new users at every workstation. After this I could not reinstall AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 (standalone license, local administrator login) because it kept having errors such as not finding files and/or conditions it required. I uninstalled every Autodesk application from my workstation but I still got errors that caused the reinstall to fail. Then, I opened the registry and began removing all occurrences of AutoCAD and all occurrences of Autodesk until I saw that there were 450 pages of these entries under LOCAL_MACHINE. But, after that I was able to reinstall AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 and service pack 2. That was about a week ago. It had been running fine until yesterday which was the first time I ran a particular subroutine of a pipe and fitting application I wrote. The subroutine freezes or thaws various piping layers using the VPlayer command.  I have used this application since 1991 in its various stages of development and it has been months since my last tweak to the program. In all this time I have never had any problem with it crashing AutoCAD... until yesterday. I spent some time trying to isolate where the crash occurs.  It is a hard crash and it happens every time I select the accept button in my dialog. I was able to determine that the crash occurs when the particular subroutine dialog is dismissed (done_dialog).  I cannot prove whether the code that follows begins to execute or not.

My questions is:  Are there required registry entries in Windows 7 Professional for AutoCAD or Autodesk that pertain to AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012, VBA, Visual Lisp, or Viewports, that are not put there by the installation of AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012?  And, if so, do I need to reinstall my operating system in order to add those registry entries?

Any insight to the cause of the crashes and the required non-install entries to the registry will be greatly appreciated.

---------------------------------------------Signature--------------------------------------------
Civil Design Professional Since 1983 (Intergraph), AutoCAD since 1989

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Intel﴾R﴿ Core﴾TM﴿ i9-12900KF CPU 3.19GHz; 32 GB DDR4 4266 Dual Channel RAM
nVidia Quadro RTX 4000; AutoCAD Civil 3D 2023.2.1 Update
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Albert_Rius
in reply to: coopdetat

Hi,

There is no reason that something that was working preciouly is not working now.

Please check that the product is correctly installed and that no files are missing.

Control panel > program & features > AutoCAD Civil 2012 > Repair or Reinstall > Reinstall

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Albert Rius
Technical Support
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 3
coopdetat
in reply to: Albert_Rius

The reinstall/repair changed nothing; however, I switched my user login from local admin to my new network login which forced an install again. I had been working as local administrator on my workstation and making network connections using my network credentials which had been working well for over a year.  The recent reworking of our network server names and logins by an outside IT service upset my installation.  It had forced an install for the new user but the install failed regardless of what I did.  As I said before, it was only after cleaning much of the registry of "AutoCAD" and "Autodesk" references that I was finally able to install.  I did the install on my local admin login and that is where I began having the intermittent but frequent (DONE_DIALOG) crashes. Today, after the reinstall/repair failed to solve the problem I logged in using my network credentials, completed the forced install, and so far I am not crashing upon (DONE_DIALOG).  I'm crossing my fingers.  Something about logging in as local admin and using network credentials for drive mappings seems to be involved. I don't know what is different now vs. the past year or more; but, so far, so good.

Thanks for your assistance

---------------------------------------------Signature--------------------------------------------
Civil Design Professional Since 1983 (Intergraph), AutoCAD since 1989

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Intel﴾R﴿ Core﴾TM﴿ i9-12900KF CPU 3.19GHz; 32 GB DDR4 4266 Dual Channel RAM
nVidia Quadro RTX 4000; AutoCAD Civil 3D 2023.2.1 Update

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report