10,872 Posts
897 Kudos
Post 11 of 17
10 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 12 of 17

Re: Registration/use of AutoCAD R-13 for DOS

10-26-2012 07:19 AM in reply to: MarkWilliamHunt

Well, I've received a response from the AutoDesk Customer Service Team ... Natasha tells me that you guys are exactly correct - that AutoCAD's R-13 may only be purchased from an Authorized Dealer.  Not likely, that ... So, I've thrown-away the CD-ROM.  IF ANYONE KNOWS how I can purchase an authorized-able copy of AutoCAD 2002 (Full) (not for my DOS computer - I'd run it on my Wife's WXP), perhaps you can tell me???  I see two eBay auctions, for AutoCAD 2002, right now ... but they're not likely to be legal ... Mark.

*Expert Elite*
7,867 Posts
652 Kudos
Post 13 of 17

10-26-2012 07:21 AM in reply to: MarkWilliamHunt

you can't buy that version anymore

you can only buy 2013

*Expert Elite*
10,872 Posts
897 Kudos
Post 14 of 17

10-26-2012 07:48 AM in reply to: DarrenP

Darren is right.  The product is expired as are all products thru version 2009.  You can get a trial version of 2013 to test out or you might see if you can qualify for the student version for free. 

10 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 15 of 17

10-26-2012 09:56 AM in reply to: TravisNave

Appreciate your comments, your experience.  I'm doing two things (now that I've given-up finding a copy of AutoCAD R-13 and/or AutoCAD 2002 thru' AutoDesk, or thru' an Authorized Dealer):  I've downloaded a copy of 'GStarCAD Professional'.  This may/might 'do that which I want' - permit me to 'play with' the 3d .DWG images that I've downloaded (this would be on the Wife's computer - WXP, SP3 - when she allows me to so play) (me, I use a Panasonic Toughbook CF-25, under MS-DOS 7.10se).  And this might be enough for me.  The second thing is - Natasha, at the Service Desk, told me that, sometimes, AutoDesk will *permit* the registered owner of a version of AutoCAD to *transfer* the license.  Thus, if I search - if I track - any such offerings of AutoCAD 2002 on eBay - then I might be able to convince the proposed seller that they should contact AutoDesk, and request such a 'license transfer'.  I've sent-out - last night - email to two such sellers, questioning their sales.  One has answered - and he writes that he's going to 'check-out' the idea of 'authorization codes' - he apparently didn't know, just as *I* didn't know - anything about it (not everyone who *has* such software is a CAD Professional).  So.  Mostly, 'I just can't get there from here'.  Well, that happens.  In the meantime, I've got a very acceptable solution: I downloaded a copy of AutoDesk/AutoCAD DWG TrueView 2013 - and it's impressive, very!, and I've started, last night, to 'play with' (rotate in three axis) the above-mentioned 3d .DWG images ... and, that was all that I really wanted.  Again, thanks: AutoDesk has created an impressive product, and your comments, and your guidance, has only helped to 'make it better' for me.  Mark. 

10 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 16 of 17

10-27-2012 01:55 PM in reply to: MarkWilliamHunt

Look, folks, at this eBay auction - 330818043388 - AutoCAD (DOS) R-13, plus (on the floppy) some registration information - probably everything that a guy needs ... except that it's illegal, yes?, Natacha tells me that only the *seller* can request that the license be transferred to the buyer.  Now, I've emailed to the seller - and haven't yet received an answer - and there is *no way* that I'm going to purchase it without the proper authorization (from AutoDesk/AutoCAD) - but - and here's my point - ***how in the world is eBay being allowed to sell illegal software?***.  This, I do not understand.  I fully-support the licensing authority (AutoDesk/AutoCAD) to make the decisions that have been made regards AutoCAD R-13.  Intellectual property rights, yes? - this software is *theirs*; they only license it.  Their decision(s), whether convenient or inconvenient to me, their decisions are their business, and I support'em.  But why is eBay being allowed to 'break the law'?  What's wrong here?  Here, on eBay, people who probably don't *intend* to break the law - both sellers and buyers - are, perhaps and sometimes, in a position where they argueably (sp?) have 'committed a crime'.  Basically, innocents (sp?), innocent people, 'victims'.  Why in the world wouldn't AutoDesk Staff - CAD Professionals - why would they not just 'tell eBay to not accept such auctions'?  Well.  OK.  I'll stop ranting.  Only ... well, heck, I want to buy this software, and I can't ... and purchasing AutoCAD 2013 would *not only* cost me $4,100, I'd need to buy a hot-Hot-HOT computer to run it ... *my* computer, and I have several, is either a 100mHz, a 150mHz, or a 166mHz (best).  Too much for a hobby, really, a hobby of pencil-sketching rotating/able valves & pipes & mechanical stuff on a screen.  Mark.

10 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 17 of 17

10-28-2012 04:46 AM in reply to: MarkWilliamHunt

Forum Members.

I've just - I couldn't sleep, and I've just - discovered the recently-ending court battle between AutoDesk and those-who-would-sell AutoDesk's software on eBay.

Sorry, AutoDesk, but I hadn't realized that there was a problem.

And this is *not* something - this issue, this court-resolved issue - with which I wish to be 'near'.

I'll not be 'searching for AutoDesk software on eBay.

And, 'Forum Members' - you'd do me a great favor if you'd delete this innocent, well-intentioned thread.

Thanks.

Mark. 

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post