Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registration/use of AutoCAD R-13 for DOS

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
MarkWilliamHunt
1643 Views, 16 Replies

Registration/use of AutoCAD R-13 for DOS

I use AutoCAD 2000 (full).  It's good - it meets my needs.  But I purchased an AutoCAD CD-ROM - an original, not a copy - for AutoCAD R-13 (for DOS).  I don't have any registration codes, CD codes, authorization codes, whatever.  What are my options?  I use DOS a lot ... and I'd like to experiment with R-13.  And I'd be happy to 'pay for that privilege'.  Thanks.  Mark.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
DarrenP
in reply to: MarkWilliamHunt

did you just buy it?

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 17

eBay.  This sort of thing - older AutoCAD misc software, lots of books, AutoCAD R-13, as well as those Revisions even older! - as well as newer ones (expensive!), obviously - can be purchased on eBay Mark.

Message 4 of 17

... and, yes, I just purchased it - a few weeks ago.  Mark.

Message 5 of 17
DarrenP

ebay is not an authorized autodesk dealer so i highly doubt autodesk will provide you any type of activation

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 17
DarrenP
in reply to: DarrenP

pretty much what you did was illegal

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 7 of 17
MarkWilliamHunt

Illegal?  Now - I'm not surprised much, anymore, I'm 61 years old - but this surprises me.  There's a lot of AutoCAD software being sold & bought on eBay.  How can this be, if it's illegal?  I don't buy bogus software ... I'll mention, here, that I am not in any way a 'CAD professional'.  Rather, I've an interest in the ability of AutoCAD to rotate 3d images.  I want, you see, to be able to pencil-sketch - to draw - valves and mechanical stuff.  A hobby.  And ... I can do that under AutoCAD 2000 (not the 'i' version) and Windows 98.  Just ... it's just that I wanted to try to do that under DOS ...  Mark.

Message 8 of 17

Darren is right.  The license agreement specifically states that the software cannot be resold, leased, transferred, etc.  Every copy on eBay is illegal.  Essentially, all you are buying is the media but not the right to use it.  It's fraud and you should report the seller for software piracy.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 9 of 17

Ah.  Well, if simply *buying* the media is legal - then I'm relievedI'd not even put the CDROM into my 166mHz computer - I knew that registration information was required (so what would be the point?).  I think ... I think that I spent $1.00 on the auction, with shipping of course.  So, I'm not 'out' much.  And the buyer - as I remember - didn't promise anything, the buyer specifically wrote that the CDROM was without 'codes' or 'numbers' or such (words, or the lack of words, to that effect).  So, what the heck.  I didn't know - not being a CAD professional - anything about the licensing issues that you've mentioned.  It's just that ... I've been visiting the local community college, and I've sat-in on one of their AutoCAD classes.  It's fascinating, truely fascinating.  So ... I started trying to follow-up on a long-held dream: learning to pencil-sketch thru' the rotating images of 3D .DWG files.  Here's what I think: you guys, you CAD professionals (and you AutoCAD employees) - there's a LOT of AutoCAD software up-for-sale in eBay.  IF THIS IS ILLEGAL - and you write that it is, and I'm not disputing this - then somebody, one of you guys, should tell eBay.  I'm sure that they'd stop it.  Thanks so much for your information - your guidance - and I'll STOP this R-13 project.  Mark. 

Message 10 of 17

Sent a question/request to AutoCAD Customer Service.  Should have an answer - "Thank you for contacting us. We have received your request (Case Number: DELETED) and have assigned it to the Autodesk Customer Service Team who will assist you. Your Case number can be found at the top of this email." - soon.  Told'em about eBay.  Again, thanks for your forum-help.  Mark.

Message 11 of 17

Message 12 of 17

Well, I've received a response from the AutoDesk Customer Service Team ... Natasha tells me that you guys are exactly correct - that AutoCAD's R-13 may only be purchased from an Authorized Dealer.  Not likely, that ... So, I've thrown-away the CD-ROM.  IF ANYONE KNOWS how I can purchase an authorized-able copy of AutoCAD 2002 (Full) (not for my DOS computer - I'd run it on my Wife's WXP), perhaps you can tell me???  I see two eBay auctions, for AutoCAD 2002, right now ... but they're not likely to be legal ... Mark.

Message 13 of 17
DarrenP

you can't buy that version anymore

you can only buy 2013

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 14 of 17
TravisNave

Darren is right.  The product is expired as are all products thru version 2009.  You can get a trial version of 2013 to test out or you might see if you can qualify for the student version for free. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 15 of 17

Appreciate your comments, your experience.  I'm doing two things (now that I've given-up finding a copy of AutoCAD R-13 and/or AutoCAD 2002 thru' AutoDesk, or thru' an Authorized Dealer):  I've downloaded a copy of 'GStarCAD Professional'.  This may/might 'do that which I want' - permit me to 'play with' the 3d .DWG images that I've downloaded (this would be on the Wife's computer - WXP, SP3 - when she allows me to so play) (me, I use a Panasonic Toughbook CF-25, under MS-DOS 7.10se).  And this might be enough for me.  The second thing is - Natasha, at the Service Desk, told me that, sometimes, AutoDesk will *permit* the registered owner of a version of AutoCAD to *transfer* the license.  Thus, if I search - if I track - any such offerings of AutoCAD 2002 on eBay - then I might be able to convince the proposed seller that they should contact AutoDesk, and request such a 'license transfer'.  I've sent-out - last night - email to two such sellers, questioning their sales.  One has answered - and he writes that he's going to 'check-out' the idea of 'authorization codes' - he apparently didn't know, just as *I* didn't know - anything about it (not everyone who *has* such software is a CAD Professional).  So.  Mostly, 'I just can't get there from here'.  Well, that happens.  In the meantime, I've got a very acceptable solution: I downloaded a copy of AutoDesk/AutoCAD DWG TrueView 2013 - and it's impressive, very!, and I've started, last night, to 'play with' (rotate in three axis) the above-mentioned 3d .DWG images ... and, that was all that I really wanted.  Again, thanks: AutoDesk has created an impressive product, and your comments, and your guidance, has only helped to 'make it better' for me.  Mark. 

Message 16 of 17

Look, folks, at this eBay auction - 330818043388 - AutoCAD (DOS) R-13, plus (on the floppy) some registration information - probably everything that a guy needs ... except that it's illegal, yes?, Natacha tells me that only the *seller* can request that the license be transferred to the buyer.  Now, I've emailed to the seller - and haven't yet received an answer - and there is *no way* that I'm going to purchase it without the proper authorization (from AutoDesk/AutoCAD) - but - and here's my point - ***how in the world is eBay being allowed to sell illegal software?***.  This, I do not understand.  I fully-support the licensing authority (AutoDesk/AutoCAD) to make the decisions that have been made regards AutoCAD R-13.  Intellectual property rights, yes? - this software is *theirs*; they only license it.  Their decision(s), whether convenient or inconvenient to me, their decisions are their business, and I support'em.  But why is eBay being allowed to 'break the law'?  What's wrong here?  Here, on eBay, people who probably don't *intend* to break the law - both sellers and buyers - are, perhaps and sometimes, in a position where they argueably (sp?) have 'committed a crime'.  Basically, innocents (sp?), innocent people, 'victims'.  Why in the world wouldn't AutoDesk Staff - CAD Professionals - why would they not just 'tell eBay to not accept such auctions'?  Well.  OK.  I'll stop ranting.  Only ... well, heck, I want to buy this software, and I can't ... and purchasing AutoCAD 2013 would *not only* cost me $4,100, I'd need to buy a hot-Hot-HOT computer to run it ... *my* computer, and I have several, is either a 100mHz, a 150mHz, or a 166mHz (best).  Too much for a hobby, really, a hobby of pencil-sketching rotating/able valves & pipes & mechanical stuff on a screen.  Mark.

Message 17 of 17

Forum Members.

I've just - I couldn't sleep, and I've just - discovered the recently-ending court battle between AutoDesk and those-who-would-sell AutoDesk's software on eBay.

Sorry, AutoDesk, but I hadn't realized that there was a problem.

And this is *not* something - this issue, this court-resolved issue - with which I wish to be 'near'.

I'll not be 'searching for AutoDesk software on eBay.

And, 'Forum Members' - you'd do me a great favor if you'd delete this innocent, well-intentioned thread.

Thanks.

Mark. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report