Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-Install AutoCAD LT 2014 Trial on same Computer- Comm Failure error

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
2923 Views, 8 Replies

Re-Install AutoCAD LT 2014 Trial on same Computer- Comm Failure error

This is a saga of sorts.  Here is what happened.  

1 - I installed AutoCAD LT 2014 Trial and it worked fine.  

2 - I wanted to uninstall the trial and used the Crystalidea Uninstall Tool application to uninstall and remove traces of all the Autodesk apps that had been installed with the trial.  I have used that app to uninstall many programs and like it and trust it.  In this instance, it appeared to have been successful.  

3 - But all or nearly all of the elements of the LT trial will still there when I restarted.  And Uninstall Tool did not report them as there.   And none of them would run, and none of them were available for uninstall in the Control Panel, and the Autodesk Uninstall program could not find any Autodesk apps to uninstall either.  

I am now trying to reinstall the LT 2014 trial so that I can uninstall it with the Autodesk Uninstall program.  But I keep getting a Communication Error Failure when I try to do the new install.  

I need help getting the LT 2014 trial re-installed please.  

Jack

W7 Pro on Lenovo T420 laptop

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dembkod
in reply to: Anonymous

jackerbes

Hello. This is an error we see sometimes with the install now option. Check the drop-down on the install now button and select “Download Now”. This will download the whole product. Then install.

For uninstall I would use Ms Fixit

Thank you for taking part in our community!

David Dembkoski
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: dembkod

M$ Fixit ran for trying to uninstall LT 2014 two hours and accomplished nothing.  So I finally just stopped it. 

And I did all the things on the "How to troubleshoot problems when you install or uninstall programs on a Windows-based computer" page after I ran Fix it and now cannot find any references anywhere (contral panel, fixit, Autodesk uninstall) to all the stuff that was still there.  

I have deleted every single file, folder, location, and evereything I can find that referred to Autodesk and AutoCAD LT 2014 and still cannot get the reiinstall going. 

But I am going to go try it again now...

Jack

Message 4 of 9
pendean

You need to stop using the default download manager from the website: that was the instruction above from the staffer.

You appear to be still using the download manager: so the problem will always exist.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

When I go the trial download page

http://www.autodesk.com/products/autodesk-autocad-lt/free-trial I do the following:  

I click on  Download trial, English, windows 64-bit

I check the block in the notice, click the down arrow, choose download now, and it downloads the AutodeskDownloadManagerSetup.exe (I save it to the desktop).  

When AutodeskDownloadManager runs itself it offers me only this file for a downloads and that is saved to the desktop too:

AutoCADLT_2014_SWL_English_Win_32_64bit_wi_en-us_Setup.exe

If I try to run the setup.exe file from the desktop I get the communications failure error.

If I run the download manager setup.exe file it "repairs" the install and then downloads and runs the setup.exe file above.  

I have not found any way to run the setup file without it having being run by a just been downloaded download manager.  And when it does run and do a setup, all I get on the start programs menu are the programs seen in the image.  None of which work.  I cannot find any shortcuts to LT anywhere.  And there are no *.exe files in the Autodesk program files folders.  

Jack

Message 6 of 9
pendean

64bit LT2014 downloaded fine here, the EXE launches just fine, no download manager, no communications errrors. Click on the Downlond Links entry then AutoCAD products then LT then the 2014 version you need

http://autodesk.creativevirtual15.com/autodesk/bot.html?isJSEnabled=1&businessArea=Root.Front%20Desk...#

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the new link, it is encouraging!  I was able to download and get the file to extract. 

I now have two setup files in these two folders, but am not sure which one to run, and a little scared that I might run the wrong one :>)  : 

c:/Autodesk/AutoCADLT_2014_SWL_English_Win_32_64bit_wi_en-us

c:/Autodesk/AutoCADLT_2014_SWL_English_Win_64bit_dlm

I'll run the one you think is best.  I just want to get a full install so I can uninstall it (I have finished with the trial and will not be buying this now). 

Jack

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Sometimes I think I must be seeing things.  

Yesterday I thought I saw two folders with setup.exe files in them (as I described in my last post).  But this monring, there is only one setup file and it is in the  c:/Autodesk/AutoCADLT_2014_SWL_English_Win_32_64bit_wi_en-us folder. 

So ran setup.exe and got the communications failure error.  And I also ran the AutodeskInstallNow.exe file and got the same error. 

So I still can't seem to get the AutoCAD LT 2014 trial installed. 

Jack

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

After numerous downloads and attempted installs I still had all or the majority of all the the files installed on my laptop.  But the program would not run, the Autodesk uninstall program would not find it, nor would a Microsoft Fix It or anothe uninstall software. 

To get rid of this failed install of AutoCAD LT 2014 Trial Version I am going to have to format my hard drive and re-install my opereating system.  Very annoying. 

As far as the trial itself, it is absolutely the role model for bloatware.  It installs and runs so many bits and pieces without explanation or options to insall a "lighter" version that it is simply too much to be considered a "light" install.  And the user interface is so "busy" and crowded that there is very little drawing area on a 14" laptop screen.  

I was looking for a simple software for making 2D vector drawings, AutoCAD LT 2014 is not that.  

But thanks for the chance to find out without buying. 

Jack

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report