Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Terminal Server Environment" license constraint

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
CAFMTech
2218 Views, 18 Replies

"Terminal Server Environment" license constraint

Hello,

I have run into a serious problem. I'm setting up an automated DWF publishing process for a client. The box which is running it is their server, to which I have access via remote desktop.

This particular publish process occurs in the background, so it always spawns a new AutoCAD instance for the background publishing. When this happens, I get "No more than 1 instance(s) of AutoCAD may run in a terminal server environment".

Why does this apply to me? Nobody will even be logged in when this runs! It is to be a completely automated process. This is not a Citrix server, it is a regular server that I am using as an AutoCAD workstation. Yes it supports remote access, as does nearly every networked PC I work with.

The background publishing method is out of my control to change. I do not see how this licensing constraint applies to what I am trying to do for my client! Does anyone have any information that can help me?

What constitutes a "Terminal Server Environment" anyway?

Thanks in advance.
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
TravisNave
in reply to: CAFMTech

For one, because Terminal Servers allow clients to launch multiple copies of one installed app, this violates the EULA. This is Autodesk's way of slapping you on the hand. The licensing constraint does apply to you because regardless of the fact that AutoCAD is in the foreground or the background, you are launching and using the application. Thus you need to be licensed and in the constraints of the license agreement.

Sucks? Yes. Sorry. Accessing from Remote Desktop constitutes your environment, per the EULA. See below:

"You may Install and Access one (1) copy of the Software on one (1) individual Computer, solely for Your internal business needs. You may not allow the Software to be Accessed, operated, or viewed from, or Installed or uploaded to, other Computers through a network connection. "

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 19
CAFMTech

Thanks for your response. However, I intend for this to run with nobody, including myself, logged in (as a Scheduled Task). So, how am I accessing it over the network if I'm not logged in?

What if I had my process first shut off terminal services, then run the publish routine, then re-enable terminal services? Would that work?
Message 4 of 19
TravisNave

Possibly. You might also only be seeing this message because you are using Remote Desktop. It may as well just run perfectly on the machine when you aren't connected to it. I have seen many instances where usign Remote Desktop makes programs behave differently than if you were physically at the machine. You could try using other remote software like PC Anywhere, GoToMyPC, WebEx, eBlvd, etc. to try and connect and see if the error persists.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 19
CAFMTech

Unfortunately, nothing is panning out for me here. I have the same problem whether logged in or not. I can't turn off the Terminal Server Service because Windows won't let me (it's a core service and turning it off could destabilize the machine).

How can I tell AutoCAD that this is not a multi-user situation? If I knew what it was looking at then I could maybe shut that piece down and get this thing to work!
Message 6 of 19
TravisNave

Probably difficult to answer being that the program is not meant to be run on a Terminal Services Server for license reasons...

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 19
jrehm

I've run it in Terminal Services without errors, but it runs like crap. Not at all something you would want to have to do.
Message 8 of 19
rpearson

I assume this is a stand alone version on a terminal server? If you install a network version then there shouldn't be any terminal services restraints...?
Message 9 of 19
cy_shuster

One license is supposed to be used by one person. Any kind of sharing is a
scheme to work around that, regardless of license type.

--Cy--

wrote in message news:6031356@discussion.autodesk.com...
I assume this is a stand alone version on a terminal server? If you install
a network version then there shouldn't be any terminal services
restraints...?
Message 10 of 19
TravisNave

Agreed! You're not going to find any support from Autodesk on this subject.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 11 of 19
CAFMTech

Thanks for your response. Let me clarify. It's not a terminal server. It is a Windows 2003 server with remote desktop active. There is no application sharing whatsoever taking place. The AutoCAD access is taking place on the desktop.

I'm not attempting to have more than one user use the app. I am running a 3rd party publishing routine that works by generating plot drawings, and then plotting them in a background process. One user, one session, two acad processes but there is nothing I can do to change the way this operates.

Since I'm not doing anything that could reasonably be defined as violating the license (multiple user sessions comes to mind, that's not what I'm doing) then I think I should be able to run my publish routine without being stopped by AutoCAD. At this point, this is not possible, causing additional time and expense to try to find a workaround.

Thanks.
Message 12 of 19
CAFMTech

I'm not attempting to share anything. I am running a program that spawns a background publishing process. There is nothing I can to to change the way this works. Please see my other post.

Thanks.
Message 13 of 19
rpearson

Are you saying that network version on a TS could possibly allow more users than licenses? Would't each session pull a separate license from the license server?
Message 14 of 19
TravisNave

How about installing it to another stand-alone Windows XP machine? Tried that yet?

Autodesk Forums:
Message 15 of 19
CAFMTech

Good question, unfortunately there are reasons that my access will have to be restricted to this particular server machine.

Thanks.
Message 16 of 19
cy_shuster

Check your EULA; the full agreement comes with every installation (no need
to ask here). It used to say that any installation on a server was not
permitted. If so, that's the reason your access is prohibited.

There are many APIs to AutoCAD, in order to automate user tools. Why is a
server required?

--Cy--

wrote in message news:6031596@discussion.autodesk.com...
Good question, unfortunately there are reasons that my access will have to
be restricted to this particular server machine.

Thanks.
Message 17 of 19
CAFMTech

Hi,
A server is not required. As a consultant, I have been given a VPN and access to the "box" where the products supported by my company are running so I can develop and maintain them remotely. Since I only have access to this machine, this is the machine where I am trying to make this automated publishing work. The fact that it happens to be a server O/S is not material, this is a desktop app not a client/server app. My product is an .arx that works with AutoCAD, it spawns a background process during publishing that AutoCAD doesn't allow as it assumes it means multiple users trying to use the same license at the same time.

AutoCAD is incorrectly assuming a multiple user environment. Technically I'm not doing anything that couldn't be done on WinXP.
Message 18 of 19
TravisNave

Unfortunately 32-bit AutoCAD 2009 is only supported on the following Operating Systems:

Microsoft® Windows Vista™, Windows® XP SP2 operating systems

Prior releases to 2009 also support Windows® 2000 Professional SP4

Autodesk Forums:
Message 19 of 19
CAFMTech

Thank you, I didn't know that. It does run on 2003 server, and seems to work fine as long as there is only one process running at a time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report