Installation & Licensing

Installation & Licensing

adillberg
Message 21 of 47 (9,758 Views)

Re: "First Run Initialization" Every Time I Start AutoCAD 2012 Mechan

05-01-2012 11:43 AM in reply to: pete592

We are having a problem that seems very similar to this as well.

As an administrator typically we can run ACAD here at our office, however it is completely ridiculous to require users that have no business being admins, to be admins to run the program.

If we use a profile for ACAD the problem seems much worse.

Also, to run ACAD, a user can not simply be a local admin (which is BAD enough to require), they must be AT LEAST a Domain Admin. This a completely unacceptable. we need normal, NON-ADMINS, to be able to use ACAD. Having normal users as Admins is a HUGE security risk, and not only can but will cause network problems from users doing things they should not be doing.

Please help ACAD (or anyone else), this is a REALLY BIG problem.

Active Contributor
rms390
Message 22 of 47 (9,746 Views)

05-02-2012 03:57 AM in reply to: adillberg

lol they have known about this for a year now.... They don't fix the issue and im pretty sure 2013 has the same problem.  I downloaded the student version on my home pc to try it out and boom, first run initialization every fresh start of autoCAD

Contributor
david.scheu
Message 23 of 47 (9,737 Views)

05-02-2012 07:37 AM in reply to: adillberg

Adillberg, I think it's pretty clear at this point that having administrator rights does not necessarily make this problem go away (doesn't for me; hasn't for several other posters). Are you saying that it does for you?

User rights could be part of the problem, but for various reasons I don't think they are. (And if they are, it ought to be enough to run once as admin, and subsequently as a standard user.)

It would be helpful to know if anyone out there is running AutoCAD without administrator priveleges and not experiencing this problem. It would also be helpful to hear from anyone who has actually had the problem and then made it go away by elevating user rights. If so, does it come back if you switch back to standard user rights?

jhudtwalcker
Message 24 of 47 (9,591 Views)

06-04-2012 10:46 AM in reply to: pete592

can't make what you recomend.... the option is grayed out... ¿any idea? (with other software, I actually can)

Message 25 of 47 (9,279 Views)

08-04-2012 12:29 PM in reply to: jhudtwalcker

This is the issue ever since version 2012. In 2013, I'm also having the same problem. I hit the activation limit, because every time AutoCAD starts it requests a key. I've already 5 e-mails with keys I requested from A SINGLE, FRESH INSTALLATION OF AUTOCAD 2013 (I'm a student - I'd like to at least have one license valid on a laptop and another on my home box, in order to work comfortably wherever I am. That's already impossible). That's five activations of autocad 2013 over a timespan of 4 days - every day I came to work, plus today.

I had to stop using AutoCAD overall due to this fault, because version 2012 was rendered completely useless after installing it, uninstalling and installing again (apparently, installing and uninstalling software destroys the license manager). I've even made a completely fresh windows 7 x64 installation (the one I'm using right now) in order to install ACAD2012. Installed, problem persists. Good thing that inventor is still working, hope they won't switch to the same licensing scheme.

If anyone requests further information / screenshots, please let me know, I'll upload it on demand.

Contributor
cmiller
Message 26 of 47 (9,128 Views)

08-21-2012 07:16 AM in reply to: adillberg

Has anyone found a fix for this issue? I am an admin over my computer, my IT Tech assures me, we do not have roaming profiles, and I have the Run As Administrator checked. Nothing has fixed the issue.

We have 3 identicle, user dedicated computers in our dept and they all do it.

Can someone point me in the right direction if there is a fix. I can't seem to find anything.

Windows 7 64-bit

We have APDS Ultimate 2012

dperret
Message 27 of 47 (8,769 Views)

10-01-2012 06:57 AM in reply to: cmiller

Delete the original shortcut on the desktop.

Copy and paste the shortcut added in the start menu, autodesk....on your desktop or create a new one pointing to acad.exe

And voila....

Contributor
david.scheu
Message 28 of 47 (8,761 Views)

10-01-2012 08:30 AM in reply to: dperret

That didn't work for me. Tried copying (they were identical but tried anyway) and tried creating a new link. Same result each time.

Contributor
cmiller
Message 29 of 47 (8,759 Views)

10-01-2012 08:34 AM in reply to: david.scheu

Didn't work for me either.:smileyindifferent:

Active Contributor
ZSHS2011
Message 30 of 47 (7,357 Views)

02-21-2013 01:32 PM in reply to: adillberg

Hey All. Late to the party but I found one possible legit fix for this issue (at least in regards to 2013 AutoCAD Raster on Windows 7).

My company has every version of CAD under the sun, and when installing AutoCAD and initialing it, I chose AutoCAD Raster for Structural rather than vanilla AutoCAD Raster 2013.  I didn’t think much of it until it kept initializing.

So I went into the Registry and looked for anything anomalous between 2012 which was working and 2013 which was not. I found that a Registry key under:

Current User -> Software -> AutoDesk -> AutoCAD -> R19.0 -> AutoCAD Raster 2013

did not match

Current User -> Software -> AutoDesk -> AutoCAD -> R18.2 -> AutoCAD Raster 2012

The key should be" C:\Users\**insert user here***\AppData\Local\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2013 - English\R19.0\enu\"

but instead pointed to a folder in the Appdata that didn’t exist.

Same also had to be done for the other key showing the Roaming Folder location.

I believe that without those keys pointing to legit folders, AutoCAD assumes its not installed and trys to initalize it again upon the next load.

Hopefully this can be extrapolated (or at least serving as a starting point) for others.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.