Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"First Run Initialization" Every Time I Start AutoCAD 2012 Mechanical

54 REPLIES 54
Message 1 of 55
pete592
28467 Views, 54 Replies

"First Run Initialization" Every Time I Start AutoCAD 2012 Mechanical

Each morning when I start AutoCAD 2012 Mechanical, The startup banner comes up and does the "First Run Initialization" and its subsequent, lengthy loading and install process of every nut and bolt of the software.

I am running Vista, while the other two users in my office are still on XP (don't ask me why) and they are not experiencing this.  Theirs are much faster and more typical of a routine startup.

If there is any system information that may be helpful, please don't hesitate to ask.  I have no clue where to begin.

Thanks,

Pete

54 REPLIES 54
Message 41 of 55
david.scheu
in reply to: JrodSchultz

Perhaps, but the issue also occurs under XP, which doesn't have UAC.
Message 42 of 55
uroozv
in reply to: pete592

this is how i solved the problem on Windows XP. 
Right click>Run as..>uncheck the protect my computer........

Message 43 of 55
jpcastiglioni
in reply to: uroozv

uroozv, thanks for the data, it worked for me.
Message 44 of 55
david.scheu
in reply to: jpcastiglioni

Dang. Not working for me.

All these years on XP and I've never messed with that checkbox. But if I understand it correctly, the protection you are turning off is normally off anyway, and unchecking the box doesn't give any additional rights to the program that it wouldn't already have with a normal startup. So I don't really get why it would work, but I'm glad it does for someone. Cheers!

Message 45 of 55
uroozv
in reply to: david.scheu

another problem is that every time i restart windows, the setting goes back
to being checked again. so now i dont double click to open AutoCAD, instead
i right click, run as, uncheck the option and then start it.

Urooz Virk
*Architect*
*A-30 Kailash Colony*
*Chintel's Business Center, Suite G-6/7*
*New Delhi - 110048*
*999 99 13771*
*011 4064 7035*
Message 46 of 55
tqandah
in reply to: pete592

Iam trying to install AutoCAD 2014 on Win8 single language but could not run the installation, and the following msg apperars

Message 47 of 55
chrismendle
in reply to: tqandah

I get this exact message with 3dsmax 2015 on Windows 8. I am logged in as Administrator and have also tried "run as admin".

Message 48 of 55

Old thread that seems to have gone unresolved. We are running acad 2015, and it does the same thing. It also INSTALLS VBA Enabler in addition to the first run stuff. This happens every time. First load after computer start up, restart, subsequent loads, and even when starting another session while one is already running.  I haven't timed it, but I seem to remember autocad loading up in a matter of seconds, not minutes.  Seems everyone just accepts it and leaves it up as long as they can before it gets the jitters and keels over.  I was a walk on so I didn't get to see this set-up in action.  The only thing I can say with some amount of confidence is that this doesn't seem normal, and I personally find it unacceptable.

Message 49 of 55
michael_joos
in reply to: Anonymous

Wow!  Thank you Matthew Hocking!  I have been fighting this one for years.  How genius...yet so simple a fix.  Twenty minutes out of every day was dedicated to just staring at my computer while it loaded every single file known to mankind.  That is 86.6667 hours per year of wasted time.  Cannot believe Autodesk has not fixed this one.  But, I changed the properties to run as an admin....and boom!  There it is.  Immediate start up.  I hope this is the fix all and it continues to work after reboot.  Just a note to add , I am running Civil 3D 2016, so this looks like it probably works on all Autodesk products.

Thank you!  Thank you! Thank you! and Thank you!

Message 50 of 55
TravisNave
in reply to: michael_joos

This is what happens when IT refuses to let their engineers run as local
administrator or power users. It's disgraceful. I have been fighting
incompetent IT people for over a decade on this issue. All of my users have
local admin rights because I am a competent administrator. It's that simple.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 51 of 55
david.scheu
in reply to: TravisNave

Well, it is also what happens when IT *does* give their engineers administrator rights. I've always run AutoCAD that way, and always had the problem. I finally did find a "fix," of sorts, though. When I got a new machine, running 2015 on Windows 7, the problem disappeared. Likewise for my second user who had the problem - new machine, new install, no more "First Run Initialization." What's more, she does not have administrator rights, and does not run AutoCAD as administrator. And my third seat still runs AutoCAD on an old XP machine without admin rights, and he has never had the problem. (I'm almost afraid to upgrade him)!

Message 52 of 55
rkmcswain
in reply to: TravisNave

I've read most of this thread and there seems to be two different issues that may be getting confused with each other.

Issue 1: Getting the message "First Run Initializing" in the splash screen each time you restart AutoCAD (or an AutoCAD based vertical) after a machine reboot. Below is a screenshot of that occurring. From what I've seen and read other places, this is normal (i.e.: as designed) and benign. I'd like to know exactly why it occurs and what happens differently after a PC reboot that does not happen normally - but I can live with it. (My users and I have local Admin rights on Win7 btw)

FirstRunSm.png

Issue 2: Seems to be the presence of the secondary installer dialog (example shown below) - which is unrelated to the above. This occurs when AutoCAD can't find the registry components that should exist once the software has been run successfully for a given user. More reading on this here.

secondary.png

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 53 of 55
david.scheu
in reply to: rkmcswain

I've heard too that "First Run Initializing..." every time is normal behavior. I'm a little skeptical for two reasons.

1) Only some of my stations first run initialzed, and currently none of them do. So if it is normal behavior, I guess my now AutoCADs are acting abnormally. (But hey, I'll take that kind of abnormality any day!)

2) I can understand that some initializing might be required every time the program starts after a reboot, but several minutes' worth? That doesn't seem normal.

(And I don't know anything about Issue 2. Hope it stays that way.)

Message 54 of 55
nifortez
in reply to: david.scheu

I guess they can say it is normal now since almost everyone using the software gets it. It went away on my case ever since I upgraded to AutoCAD 2015.

I did a small workaround before, I disabled the splash screen so I don't get annoyed seeing the first run initialization every time I start AutoCAD.
Message 55 of 55
Mr_Philh
in reply to: bartdoedens

This worked for me with Acad 2018 and saved me so much time in loading the programme on Windows 7, thanks for Top Tip

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report