Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulling licenses for 2015 products taking a very long time!

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
vaughndave
1600 Views, 12 Replies

Pulling licenses for 2015 products taking a very long time!

I have just installed the very latest LManager on a freshly formated Windows 7 Pro machine with all the latest windows updates. This machine is connected to our network on a rack directly into a 1GIG switch.License server is up and running just fine. I can also remote into it very quickly and do whatever I want as if I was sitting at the terminal.

Our problem is that when an employee wants to open their network seat of REVIT 2015 and/or Autocad 2015 (Especially!!) it takes a VERY long time for it to retreive the license (over 3 mins in some cases)! That is unacceptable and I am looking for help in this matter please!

Thank you,

Dave Vaughn

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
DarrenP
in reply to: vaughndave

you can try this: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Error-A...

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
vaughndave
in reply to: DarrenP

No, That is not the issue as we are able to obtain the license eventually, It is just taking a very, very long time.

Message 4 of 13
TravisNave

How do you know that it is taking a long time to get the license, and not something else?

Have you changed license servers or have additional license servers on the network for other products?

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 13
vaughndave
in reply to: TravisNave

When we open AutoCAD 2015 the screen stalls at getting license message.
We do have another license server running on another machine. I am wondering if they are fighting one another? We are testing a new machine with the 2015 vintage license manager as our other server will not work because it is a Windows XP machine.
Message 6 of 13
TravisNave

That could be it.  I would check the registry, the licpath.lic file, as well as the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE system environment variable to remove any instance of the other server.  Just isolate its connection to the new NLM.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 7 of 13
ukdxb012

We have seen issues like this where users in Australia were connecting to license servers in Sweden. We fixed this by pointing users to a closer more local license server with faster connections as the first license server it interrogates in the environment variable as mentioned before. Just a quick re-jig speeded things up.

If your users are attempting to get a license from a license server where 2015 licenses aren't available it will move on to the next and the next etc which wastes time acquiring a license in the first place.

If you do make changes to the interrogation order, I would make sure that the lisp ate.lic and registry keys for the license server match the environment variable.

Duncan Brannan
UK/EMEIA CAD Operations Manager
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: ukdxb012

If you are using a suite license, things can get a bit trickier:

My theory is that when you start Autocad, the computer will look on the first server for a plain Autocad license. If there is a suite but no plain Autocad, it will go to the next server etc, looking for the cheapest license it can find.

Only when it has looked at all servers will it take a suite license. If one or more of the servers is on a slow link, it can take ages for the PC to have these conversations with the servers.

For us, the only good solution was to either stop the computers from pointing to servers on slow links, or set the flexlm_timeout to a short enough value to get decent performance, or borrow the license.

All of these options are troublesome but they can cut several minutes off startup times.

Message 9 of 13
vaughndave
in reply to: ukdxb012

I am finding many variables on different client machines because of different Autocad vintages installed i.e. 2013, 2014, 2015.

First of all:

What is the Registry key that I should be searching looking for?

Second, Why does some of the software have a licpath.lic file and other installs do not? (I may have one for Autocad 2014, but not for 2013?)

Obviously if the pecking order is to search for the Environment Variable to be set, that's how I am getting it to work, but I would like to check all the other places for apples to apples.

Message 10 of 13
Southerner

I am seeing the same thing here.  It takes a minimum of 5 minutes and 15 minutes is not uncommon for getting a license from the Windows 2008R2 license server.  I have set ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE and FLEXLM_TIMEOUT on some workstations but it appears to make no difference.  The one I just tried after creating the two system environment variables on the Windows 7 Enterprise workstations on AD and it took 9 minutes and 45 seconds to get the license.  The log file on the server confirms the time the license was issued.  The workstations eventually get a license but after 5 to 15 minutes and this is on a system that has only 3 or 4 other users at this moment and up to about 25 users when being used by the Autocad class.  The server is running version 11.12 of the license manager so it is the latest.  I modified the license file to include the port (27000) at the end of the first line as suggested in other posts but nothing seems to make a difference.  This same server was used to issue 2013 and 2014 licenses and took nowhere close to 5 minutes let alone 15 minutes to actually issue a license once the workstation starts requesting a license.

Message 11 of 13
TravisNave
in reply to: Southerner

You might try adskflex.exe 11.7 to see if the problem is isolated only to the new 11.12 version.

11.7 will work for 2015 products.  You can download the .exe file from my post here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/installation-licensing/flexnet-licensing-error-15-quot-winsock-operati...

Let me know.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 12 of 13
Southerner

Hello Travis.

I am also issuing some 2014 licenses.  Will 11.7 only issue 2015 licenses?

Message 13 of 13
Southerner

The daemon is also issuing Matlab licenses on port 27009.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report