Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper way to Borrow a License?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Milt-Fitz
1181 Views, 5 Replies

Proper way to Borrow a License?

To All,

I have a question in regards to borrowing a license.

Recently we added a few new users (as administrators) to the "BIM" computer so they could go out into the field to attend "BIM Coordination Meetings". The problem we have be having is if we "borrow" a license to use in the field the program does not understand that we "Borrowed a License " so now the meeting becomes a waste of time.

This has happened at least twice, and I wrote to the discussion group about this the 1st time thinking this was a user error since the field tech was new.

Now that it has happened to me I believe what he is really saying is happening meaning the program(s) say you have borrowed a license (or licenses) however when you are out of the office AutoCAD, Revit, or Navisworks does not open.

Is there a new setting, or procedure that  we do not know about? If so, please let me (us) know so we can help out our customers. Any help or comments from other users or Autodesk would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Milt Fitzgerald (a.k.a. Drafter1981)
Siemens Industries (Full-Time Office Position)
Fitz’ Digital Cad Service L.L.C. (Consulting Business)
https://sites.google.com/site/fitzdigitalcadservice/
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Milt-Fitz

What is your current version of AutoCAD? You either have the Portable License Utility (PLU) or the License Transfer Utility (LTU) to work from (nomenclature change only in reality)

Are the same Versions installed on the devices you are Exporting the Licenses to?

Does the program that the License is Exported to open and work before you leave the office?

Message 3 of 6
dgorsman

Are you borrowing the license to a laptop, or one in a docking station?  They typically shut down the network card when its not connected and/or in a docking station.  You may have borrowed the license to the docking station rather than the laptop, or if the network card is powered down to save battery life the computer is considered "different" and voila - no license available.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 6
Drafter1981

dgorsman,

Thanks again for your information. I'm working with my IT department to see if this is the case. So far with me logging on to my docking station, and logging off the borrowed license feature is working. I even left the office, or got out of network range to check and all three (AutoCAD, Navisworks & Revit) of the software packages seem to work. Now we need to see what happens with another user.

I'll try to keep you posted but I may not have answer until tomorrow (Tuesday).

Thanks Again

Message 5 of 6
brettgatti
in reply to: Drafter1981

License borrowing in Revit (and as far as I know - all Autodesk products that utilize FlexLM) is username based.

The license is "checked out" by the person who is logged in at the time of borrowing.  If a different user logs onto the  computer with the borrowed license, they will not have access to the license that the other user borrowed.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=10325397&linkID=9240617

Message 6 of 6
Milt-Fitz
in reply to: Drafter1981

dgorsman, brettgatti

Thanks again for both of your inputs and help. It seems you were both right.

dgorsman was right since I typically use the docking station while in the office with a network card, and brettgatti for providing the actual policy from Autodesk which does states you would need separate license for each profile user that “logs-in” even if we are only using one shared machine / computer.

After consulting with other  CAD managers we have found the best way to resolve the license issue, until we are able to get individual computers, with the network utility, is to use “One” (1) common log-in profile only. That way there are no excuses for not being able to work on the “BIM Machine” We have also been instructed to bring a second personal computer, or device to do other work, since the BIM Machine is just supposed to be use for BIM work only.

Siemens Industries (Full-Time Office Position)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report