Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plugin Path Errors with Mental Ray

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
justin.barsketis
431 Views, 5 Replies

Plugin Path Errors with Mental Ray

Hello,

My institution is trying to update our Maya software to the newest service pack (SP5) and we are having issues getting Mental Ray to work (not showing up in the plugin manager). After some debugging I believe the issue stems from us having to move the Maya directory into a different location and some environmental variables not reflecting this new directory.

Specifically, when I execute

getenv MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH

results in

putenv "MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH" "/Users/template/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/2015-x64/plug-ins:/Users/template/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/plug-ins:/Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/2015/plug-ins:/Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/plug-ins:/Applications/Graphical/Autodesk/maya2015/Maya.app/Contents/MacOS/plug-ins:/Applications/Graphical/Autodesk/maya2015/plug-ins/bifrost/plug-ins:/Applications/Graphical/Autodesk/maya2015/plug-ins/fbx/plug-ins:/Applications/Autodesk/mentalrayForMaya2015/plug-ins:/Applications/Graphical/Autodesk/maya2015/plug-ins/substance/plug-ins:/Applications/Graphical/Autodesk/maya2015/plug-ins/xgen/plug-ins"

Notice "/Applications//Autodesk/mentalrayForMaya2015/plug-ins" needs to point to the Graphical directory like the rest of the plugins

When I execute putenv "MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH" "/Users/template/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/2015-x64/plug-ins:/Users/template/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/plug-ins:/Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/2015/plug-ins:/Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/plug-ins:/Applications/Graphical/Autodesk/maya2015/Maya.app/Contents/MacOS/plug-ins:/Applications/Graphical/Autodesk/maya2015/plug-ins/bifrost/plug-ins:/Applications/Graphical/Autodesk/maya2015/plug-ins/fbx/plug-ins:/Applications/Graphical/Autodesk/mentalrayForMaya2015/plug-ins:/Applications/Graphical/Autodesk/maya2015/plug-ins/substance/plug-ins:/Applications/Graphical/Autodesk/maya2015/plug-ins/xgen/plug-ins"

To reflect the new directory, the plugin shows up in the plugin manager, but crashes when loaded. If I restart Maya, the changes are not saved and the old directory is still referenced.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Don't forget to download the updated mental ray!

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-maya-2015-servi...

David Lau
Message 3 of 6

Hello David,

I do have the most recent version of mental ray I believe, I downloaded SP5.

When I do a vanilla installation in the default directory mentalray is working fine, it is only when I move directories that I have problems.
Message 4 of 6

I will test this on Maya on the Mac.  Can you confirm the problem?

1. Install Maya 2015 Sp5 and Plug-in.

2. Run Maya and confirm plug-in loads.

David Lau
Message 5 of 6

Hello David,

To replicate the problem.

1. Install Maya on computer with mental ray

2. Move Maya to a sub directory, or another folder. At my institution this is a "Graphical" Folder

3. Run Maya, notice Mental Ray does not work but ever other plugin gets the new update directory paths.

I have solved the issue though,

1. I installed Maya 2015 SP5 without mental ray on one computer, on another I installed it with.

2. I copied over the mentalRay directory to the computer without it

3. Using Maya.env I manually set MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH, MAYA_PRESET_PATH, MAYA_SCRIPT_PATH to include the updated mental ray directory.

Message 6 of 6
david.lau
in reply to: david.lau

Yeah.  That is not going to work.  Maya on Mac hard codes some paths.

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2012/08/maya-on-mac-dont-rename-the-application-make-alia...

I also talk about it in our Webinar....

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2014/12/some-newly-published-mac-solutions-mac-webinar.ht...

It is best to not move it.  I would put maybe an alias in Graphical of Applications/Autodesk folder to keep your apps 'organized'.   That may make it work bettter.

David Lau

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report