Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
189 Views, 3 Replies

peer-to peer question

We run a peer-to-peer network of standalone computers. We do some standardization in the main menu. so we can use the Screen Menu, since it changes so nicely from one command to the other, and we can add screen menus to use with AutoLISP routines as well. In switching over to ACAD 2004, I find that accessing menus of the various users on the various computers has become very complicated, because Autodesk has granted everybody the ability to have his own menu. I can change all of that, but would rather be able to work with it. I would like to set the Support folders under Documents and settings\username\etc.\support to be shared. But when I try to share it with Windows XP, it doesn't work. In fact any subfolder of Documents and Settings won't share, even though it lets you go through all the motions. Any hints out there from somebody who has had similar experiences? -- ____________________ Bill DeShawn Please reply to group only Thank you http://my.sterling.net/~bdeshawn
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Create your own directory structure, etc, and copy the directories and files to the directory that you can now share. Then go into options and point CAD to the directories you created so that it doesn't use the ones in "Documents and Settings". You can save your profiles (.arg) to a mapped drive too and start CAD with the /p switch. Example: "C:\Program Files\Land Desktop 3\acad.exe" /p "u:\yourprofile.arg" Regards Rich "Bill DeShawn at Gregg Creghton's Office" wrote in message news:407af42f$1_1@newsprd01... > We run a peer-to-peer network of standalone computers. We do some > standardization in the main menu. so we can use the Screen Menu, since it > changes so nicely from one command to the other, and we can add screen menus > to use with AutoLISP routines as well. In switching over to ACAD 2004, I > find that accessing menus of the various users on the various computers has > become very complicated, because Autodesk has granted everybody the ability > to have his own menu. I can change all of that, but would rather be able to > work with it. I would like to set the Support folders under Documents and > settings\username\etc.\support to be shared. But when I try to share it > with Windows XP, it doesn't work. In fact any subfolder of Documents and > Settings won't share, even though it lets you go through all the motions. > Any hints out there from somebody who has had similar experiences? > > > -- > ____________________ > Bill DeShawn > Please reply to group only > Thank you > http://my.sterling.net/~bdeshawn > >
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Yeah, Rich. When I said I could change all of that, that was how I would have done it. Thanks for the reply, though. I might end up having to do that. Even after unchecking "simple file sharing" it still didn't work. (xp pro). When getting in there, I noticed that file sharing didn't recognize other computers on the network. How do I get XP file sharing to see the other computers like EXPLORER does? -- ____________________ Bill DeShawn Please reply to group only Thank you http://my.sterling.net/~bdeshawn "rich keitz" wrote in message news:407afc70$1_3@newsprd01... > Create your own directory structure, etc, and copy the directories and files > to the directory that you can now share. Then go into options and point CAD > to the directories you created so that it doesn't use the ones in "Documents > and Settings". > > You can save your profiles (.arg) to a mapped drive too and start CAD with > the /p switch. Example: > > "C:\Program Files\Land Desktop 3\acad.exe" /p "u:\yourprofile.arg" > > Regards > Rich > > "Bill DeShawn at Gregg Creghton's Office" wrote in > message news:407af42f$1_1@newsprd01... > > We run a peer-to-peer network of standalone computers. We do some > > standardization in the main menu. so we can use the Screen Menu, since it > > changes so nicely from one command to the other, and we can add screen > menus > > to use with AutoLISP routines as well. In switching over to ACAD 2004, I > > find that accessing menus of the various users on the various computers > has > > become very complicated, because Autodesk has granted everybody the > ability > > to have his own menu. I can change all of that, but would rather be able > to > > work with it. I would like to set the Support folders under Documents and > > settings\username\etc.\support to be shared. But when I try to share it > > with Windows XP, it doesn't work. In fact any subfolder of Documents and > > Settings won't share, even though it lets you go through all the motions. > > Any hints out there from somebody who has had similar experiences? > > > > > > -- > > ____________________ > > Bill DeShawn > > Please reply to group only > > Thank you > > http://my.sterling.net/~bdeshawn > > > > > >
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

I'm confused..... I'm not sure what your problem is.... If "Simple File Sharing" is checked it means that there is basically no security on your share and anyone can use it. (Highlight "Simple File Sharing" press F1 key and read the help text.) If "Simple File Sharing" is un-checked it means you must use the Security Tab on the Share to grant permissions for other to use the Share. Turn on "My Network Places" in the Start Button properties and you should be able to use that to browse your network and see all the computers and map a share to a drive letter by right-clicking the Share. If you don't see other computers then go into System in the Control Panel and make sure your computers are in the same Workgroup. You can use whatever Workgroup name you want as long as all the computers are in the same Workgroup. (Microsfot uses WORKGROUP as the default name.) "Bill DeShawn at Gregg Creghton's Office" wrote in message news:407b105e_2@newsprd01... > Yeah, Rich. When I said I could change all of that, that was how I would > have done it. Thanks for the reply, though. I might end up having to do > that. Even after unchecking "simple file sharing" it still didn't work. > (xp pro). When getting in there, I noticed that file sharing didn't > recognize other computers on the network. How do I get XP file sharing to > see the other computers like EXPLORER does? > > -- > ____________________ > Bill DeShawn > Please reply to group only > Thank you > http://my.sterling.net/~bdeshawn > > "rich keitz" wrote in message > news:407afc70$1_3@newsprd01... > > Create your own directory structure, etc, and copy the directories and > files > > to the directory that you can now share. Then go into options and point > CAD > > to the directories you created so that it doesn't use the ones in > "Documents > > and Settings". > > > > You can save your profiles (.arg) to a mapped drive too and start CAD with > > the /p switch. Example: > > > > "C:\Program Files\Land Desktop 3\acad.exe" /p "u:\yourprofile.arg" > > > > Regards > > Rich > > > > "Bill DeShawn at Gregg Creghton's Office" wrote in > > message news:407af42f$1_1@newsprd01... > > > We run a peer-to-peer network of standalone computers. We do some > > > standardization in the main menu. so we can use the Screen Menu, since > it > > > changes so nicely from one command to the other, and we can add screen > > menus > > > to use with AutoLISP routines as well. In switching over to ACAD 2004, > I > > > find that accessing menus of the various users on the various computers > > has > > > become very complicated, because Autodesk has granted everybody the > > ability > > > to have his own menu. I can change all of that, but would rather be > able > > to > > > work with it. I would like to set the Support folders under Documents > and > > > settings\username\etc.\support to be shared. But when I try to share it > > > with Windows XP, it doesn't work. In fact any subfolder of Documents > and > > > Settings won't share, even though it lets you go through all the > motions. > > > Any hints out there from somebody who has had similar experiences? > > > > > > > > > -- > > > ____________________ > > > Bill DeShawn > > > Please reply to group only > > > Thank you > > > http://my.sterling.net/~bdeshawn > > > > > > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report