Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parallels Desktop , Boot camp and Inventor 2014

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
marius
1628 Views, 4 Replies

Parallels Desktop , Boot camp and Inventor 2014

I have Inventor 2014 installed on an iMac 27, Boot camp with Windows 7 Professional. Last week I've tried a test to see if I can use Inventor with Parallels Desktop 8. So I've downloaded a trial version and install it. One of the options to install the virtual machine was to use Boot camp installation and any change you do in the virtual machine you will see it when you boot in Boot camp. The only problem was that the Inventor tried to re-lincese and I've got a message saying that I've reach the limit and I have to contact Autodesk to give me another one. As long as Windows didn't have to register why was Inventor? It is the same machine with the same network and videocard, HHDs and processor. Is it any way I can run Inventor using Parallels Desktop without relicensing (export license and import it back??). This is the same license I use at work on my home computer.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
TravisNave
in reply to: marius

Messing around in virtualization can hose your licensing.  The Autodesk licensing is very complex. 

That being said, the LSA does allow you to have a 2nd activation for the purpose you describe.  However, the system has locked you out.  You will need to activate manually.

1-800-551-1490 > Option 1 (English) > Option 1 > (Stand-alone)

You will need to provide your serial number and the request code.

Good Luck.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 5
marius
in reply to: TravisNave

I've got my activation code by email two days later and I've use it in Boot camp but I was afraid to use it in Parallels Desktop not to mess it up again. I still don't know how Inventor will run in Parallels and if it is worth to buy the new version that will be out tomorrow or not. The only reason I have Windows on my iMac was Inventor and it will be nice to be able to run it without rebooting. Will be possible to export the license from W7 Boot camp and reimported in the virtual machine? This is a home license, same with the one I use at work.

Message 4 of 5
TravisNave
in reply to: marius

I suspect it will be possible to use the license transfer to do this.  But regardless, you should be able to get a manual activation code for this purpose.  I wouldn't sweat it.  If it works good for you on Parallels virtual, then activate it.  If not, then no harm done.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 5
katereynolds1
in reply to: TravisNave

Hi, I'm running Inventor 2014 on Windows 8.1 in Prallels on an iMac 27" too.

I was going to start a new post but thought i could post here.. 

I'm wondering what settings i should use to configure Parallels for Inventor 2014. I have a standard iMac 27" with the folling specs and will really only use Invetor on Parallels and for basic 3D modelling of some surfboard fins - only a few parts and lofting etc..

Processor  3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory  8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Parallels has the option to configure the memory as follows

512mb-4GB memory and a drop down box of 1 or more CPU's.

I don't totally understand how i should set this up to provide a basic Inventor setup on Parallels.

If you have any information it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report