Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package License and Feature Code

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
nicaMEP
446 Views, 7 Replies

Package License and Feature Code

I have read about the PACKAGE LICENSE.
1. Is it possible that to edit the license file since we are using only the AUTOCAD 2008 version, the 3 lower versions will not appear when I perform status inquiry? Only the Feature code of Autocad 2208 will appear?
2. Also, if I reserve a license for 1 user of Autocad 2008, do I need to create to reserve license for the Package code and the feature code? E.g. RESERVE 1 64300ACD_F USER smith RESERVE 1 54600ACD_2008_0F USER smith.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
TravisNave
in reply to: nicaMEP

1. No, it is not possible to edit the License file for this purpose. The PACKAGE allows you to run up to three versions back under Subscription and that is just the way it works. Simply ignore the older versions if you do not use them.

2. The total amount of licenses in your PACKAGE increment is how many you can use for all of your versions total. Since you are only using 2008, if you reserve a 2008 file, it will use up a license in that regard. In my experience, reserving a 2008 license uses up an available license. However, I will test more about how the reservation of the feature code is affected when you only express a product version instead of the package itself.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 8
nicaMEP

Thank you Travis for the reply. I have been reading a lot about network licensing.

1. If I delete the PACKAGE and have just the license for 2008, will it still work?even that we are on subscription?because having all the feature code appear though it is not being used (2006, 2007) seems to crowd when I perform status inquiry. Not to mention that under the Package Code the seats taken, also appears in the 2008 feature code. Which really seems to crowd.

2. Also, I tried creating a adskflex.opt file. I followed the procedure and how it is done but it can't seem to work. here is the copy of the opt file:

RESERVE 1 54700REVITS_2008_0F USER smith
EXCLUDE 54600ACD_2008_0F USER smith

I wanted "smith" to use the Autocad 2008 w/c comes from the Autocad Revit Architecture Suite not the plain Autocad 2008. After I perform the status inquiry, "smith" has taken one license from the plain Autocad. Though, 1 seat is already reserved to "smith" in the Suite. What am I doing wrong? or it still has something to do with the Cascading License?

3. Then we are encountering one user not able to access an autocad. How could that be? If the case is I have 3 seats of PLain Autocad and 3 seats of Suite, because of the cascading license, there wouldnt be any case that seats will run out. Right?
Message 4 of 8
TravisNave

1. I have had some luck just deleting the PACKAGE component altogether, but others have not. If you do still have just your plain AutoCAD 2008 license appended, that alone will work without the new 2009 stuff added. However, if you do add the 2009 Subscription license to your NLM, then it will supercede any and all 2006, 2007, and 2008 licenses that you may have appended in there also. That is just the way it works this time around. Therefore, if you are only using 2008 licenses and are not using 2009 yet, then I would remove the entire PACKAGE and ACAD_F Increments altogether. This will allow you to run your older working 2008 licenses in the mean-time.

2. It is very possible that your EXCLUDE on the 2008 feature is being ignored because the user is likely on the ACAD_F feature that is pulling the old 2008 license on roll-back. I can't confirm that this is how it works without testing it myself, but it seems likely. This is especially true given that the 2009 license simply makes the NLM ignore your 2008 features. If I had to guess, this is what I would imagine is going on. Furthermore, you are right in the fact that the PLIST of the Suite will pull a vanilla ACAD license if they are available because ACAD is cheaper than Revit. If simply removing the 2009 PACKAGE and INCREMENT do not solve this problem, you may actually have to yank the PLIST feature as well to avoid the cascading.

If I wasn't so busy today, I'd test this with my NLM and 2008-2009 licenses and adskflex.opt.

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 8
nicaMEP

Hello Travis,
I ended up asking for a new license file. I have anew license now with the 2008 listing only. So basically that resolves my 1st issue. I will then feedback regarding the PLIST and Cascading files if we encountered it.
Thank you so much for the help! Have a nice day!
Message 6 of 8
nicaMEP

I would like to ask more further on this networking problem I have. Currently, I have 20 licenses of Vanilla AutoCAD and 20 users. I have 6 licenses of Revit Architecture Suite and 6 users. Assuming all of them are using the AutoCAD only, but I am running out of licenses. There are some who cannot access even when the licenses should be equal to the users. And also, I tried reserving the licenses of the Revit Architecture Suite to its users so that they will not get the Vanilla AutoCAD (due to the cascading license) but still the reserve licenses doesn't work. This problem has been going on and on...Please HELP me..Thanks
Message 7 of 8
TravisNave

Your issue is likely because the Revit users are taking AutoCAD licenses, but AutoCAD can't take a Revit license. Therefore, you are running out of licenses. That's the way PLIST works, by taking cheaper licenses. First come first serve!

One creative way around this could be to exclude the Revit users from the Vanilla AutoCAD licenses. Since their Revit and Revit AutoCAD will always take a Revit license (when ACAD isn't available,) this would end up saving all of your AutoCAD licenses for your AutoCAD users. Might be worth testing.

Good Luck!

Autodesk Forums:
Message 8 of 8
matthew.roberts

you appear to have one copy available per user
ie
20 vanilla for 20 users
and 6 revit for 6 revit users
why not just install standalone copies for all involved?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report