Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One user consumes 2 licenses Civil 3D 2012

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
AllenJessup
514 Views, 23 Replies

One user consumes 2 licenses Civil 3D 2012

We have 5 network licenses for Civil 3D 2012. They also cover Land Desktop Companion 2009. When either LDC 2009 or C3D 2012 is opened it takes one license. If the other is opened from the same computer it should not pull a second license.

However I have one use who, if he opens one instance of each, pulls one license for each. Reducing the pool by two instead of one. I've tried and I can open both while only using 1 license. I can have C3D open and can open an LDC even when no licenses are available.

Both computers are Dell Precision workstations with Win 7 pro. The main difference is that the user pulls the license over a WAN instead a LAN like everyone else.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
DarrenP
in reply to: AllenJessup

have them try this: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=13894457&linkID=9240657

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 24
AllenJessup
in reply to: DarrenP

Thank. I'll try that in the morning before anyone comes in.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 4 of 24
AllenJessup

Actually I won't be trying it. There is no CascadeInfo.cas file. Good thought though.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 5 of 24
DarrenP

thats strange

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 6 of 24
DarrenP

does the license manager debug log say anything of use?

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 7 of 24
TravisNave

The CascadeInfo.cas file is in a hidden directory.  Licensing won't work without it so, you'll want to locate it and check it out.  C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Adlm is typically the folder. 

I was thinking though that if you try to pull a 2012 and then a 2009, you will use more than one license.  If you pull 2 or more 2012s together, it will only use one. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 8 of 24
AllenJessup
in reply to: TravisNave

@TravisNave wrote:

The CascadeInfo.cas file is in a hidden directory.  Licensing won't work without it so, you'll want to locate it and check it out.  C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Adlm is typically the folder. 

Is this supposed to be on the individual computers or the one I'm using as the license server? I can't find it on either. I also tried another users computer, who has XP pro, and it wasn't on his machine either.

I was thinking though that if you try to pull a 2012 and then a 2009, you will use more than one license.  If you pull 2 or more 2012s together, it will only use one. 

I can open 2012 and then LDC 2009 without pulling another license.

Our reseller suggested upgrading the license manager to the latest version. I'll try that first thing in the morning.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 24
DarrenP

yes its supposed to be on each users computer

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 10 of 24
AllenJessup

Is it a feature of the latest LM upgrades? I don't find it and I have everything set to display hidden and system files and folders. I do have a "C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Adlm" folder with files and subfolders in it. But no sign of that file.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 11 of 24
TravisNave

Is it possible that you have a stand-alone license?  There is no way network licensing will work without a valid CascadeInfo.cas file.

As for XP, the file is located under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autdoesk\Adlm.  Hidden as well.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=13894457&linkID=9240617

I would though recommend that you get the latest version of the NLM.  I posted the 2013 vendor daemon here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Autodesk-Network-License-Manager-2013/m-p/33873...

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 12 of 24
AllenJessup

Not possible that I have a stand-alone. I built the deployments myself. We haven't done stand alone in many years.

If that file is there it isn't just Hidden - It's INVISIBLE! I've looked for it using Win Explorer and PowerDesk. I've also used the PowerDesk file finder. Which should find files no matter how they are hidden. I've made sure that we're displaying both hidden and system file. This is what my ADLM directory looks like,

adlm.PNG

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 13 of 24
TravisNave

Yeah, I see that.  Hmm...  Congratulations.  You have defeated Autodesk licensing.  Let the audits begin!  Smiley Very Happy

Seriously though, that seems odd behavior to me.  I suppose it is possible that the licensing scheme for that product is slightly different, although Civil 3D 2012 is listed under the CascadeInfo.cas KB.  There has never been consistency...

Autodesk Forums:
Message 14 of 24
DarrenP

so it has to do with the WAN connection maybe if thats the only difference

i don't know what would cause this

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 15 of 24
AllenJessup

I know they made exceptions for running LDC 2009. When it came time that 2009 would have fallen of the end of the allowable previous released. Many people made a case that 2009 should continue to be available. Without a release of LDC available any projects that had been done in the early releases of Land and Softdesk would no longer be usable.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it. The expert at licensing at our resellers is on vacation this week and he's the one who would probably know.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 16 of 24
DarrenP

well if there is an expiration on it it should say in the license file

run the license file through here: www.licenseparser.com

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 17 of 24
AllenJessup

The only thing I can think of is that it's some sort of timing issue. The good thing is that if it is the WAN connection. I don't have to worry about it to long. He's moving back to this building within the month. Also we're running fiber to that building, but that may take longer.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 18 of 24
AllenJessup

No. It's a permanent license. But remember up until last year you could only run the current release and the last 3. There was some changes in the way the LM handles some of this. Our reseller explained it all to me last year, but I didn't make an effort to remember the details. My Mistake!

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 19 of 24
TravisNave

Well, you're more than welcomed to send me the LIC file over PM if you have access to it.  Maybe there's some sort of Single license 2009 + Subscription combination and/or an Options file involved? 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 20 of 24
AllenJessup

@TravisNave wrote:

I would though recommend that you get the latest version of the NLM. 

Well. This morning I successfully installed the latest NLM. Now I pull a second license when I start LDC 2009. That's not a big deal to me because I almost never open it.

I spoke to our reseller. It seems this is an issue they know about. But the person who may remember what conclusion they came to about this is on vacation until next week. Since this isn't a do or die issue, I think I'll wait until he comes back.

Thank you and everyone for their help.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report