Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offline folders for customization

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
129 Views, 4 Replies

Offline folders for customization

Has anyone tried or had success with using offline folders for customization in conjunction with a laptop? All of our customization lives on the network, and I would like to make that network folder Offline on the laptop, so the laptop could use the same profile as a desktop install. My understanding is that when the laptop is plugged into the network, the contents of the offline folder is compared, and anything new on the network is copied to the local store. This would make my life easier ;) So, I will probably give it a try anyway, but I thought I would ask here and see if anyone has had good luck with this approach. Best, Gordon
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes! I was happy to see this post because I think it is the best way to do it and it is not a pain. No matter what version you use, you simply have to have the network stuff mirrored on the C drive. Do this with the robocopy program, its free and I can send it to you. What you do is put the robocopy statement in the users login script (or you can make it run through the startup folder) and tell it what to mirror from the server to local. Then in your acad paths, put both server and local paths, but put the server ones first. It works great. I have a ton of files on the server, and do have any network paths in acad. I simply assume the local files are there. This is a good assumption because the startup makes it so, never had any problems with it. It speeds up acad as it looks locally for all stuff. I also have a routine that runs in the acad startup (acad.lsp) that resets paths according to a data file. So the system heals itself no matter what happens with folders and all. Let me know if you need help on this as its fun once it is working. "Gordon Price" |>Has anyone tried or had success with using offline folders for customization |>in conjunction with a laptop? All of our customization lives on the network, |>and I would like to make that network folder Offline on the laptop, so the |>laptop could use the same profile as a desktop install. My understanding is |>that when the laptop is plugged into the network, the contents of the |>offline folder is compared, and anything new on the network is copied to the |>local store. This would make my life easier ;) |>So, I will probably give it a try anyway, but I thought I would ask here and |>see if anyone has had good luck with this approach. |> |>Best, |> |>Gordon |> James Maeding Civil Engineer/Programmer
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

James, it sound slike you are getting the effect that I want, but I am looking to do it a little differently. On the network we have an S drive shared, with all the custom content. In Windows, I can make this drive Offline, so that when not connected to the network, Windows still presents an S drive, but with local content. When you connect to the network the local content is refreshed, but the machine uses the network S drive. Disconnect and you are automatically using the updated local content again. My hope is to make this work, and let Windows earn it's keep. If all else fails, I can use a 3rd party app like you suggest, or write my own script, but the benifit of using Offline files is that the profile is consistent for every machine. THe laptop still sees an S drive, but the content is refreshed from the network automatically. I could even make updates to a network ARG file stored on that S share, and even when disconnected from the network, the laptop would have the newest version (relative to the last contact with the network). All of that assuming it can actually be made to work 😉 If not, I will be using the approach you mentioned. Best, Gordon Price
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Gordon,
Yes it can be done. I am currently doing what you have just described. Our customization is located on the network and I simply set those particular folders I want to work offline. In combination with license borrowing, this has been a great tool and allows my laptop users complete mobility without using multiple profiles. Post if you want some steps.

John Kizior
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

"John Kizior" wrote in message news:21258531.1080338445519.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Gordon, > Yes it can be done. I am currently doing what you have just described. Our customization is located on the network and I simply set those particular folders I want to work offline. In combination with license borrowing, this has been a great tool and allows my laptop users complete mobility without using multiple profiles. Post if you want some steps. Ho yeah, I want some steps! So you are able to limit offline functionality to just specific shares? My reading of the WinXP help files sounded like maybe it was all or nothing, which would not work. ANd are you able to configure so the local version of the network content has the same permissions as the remote version, and updates from the server are transparent to the user (ie just a slower logoff, no dialogs asking for the OK to update)? Best, Gordon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report