Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Office 2010 32 bit isn't supported on 64 bit OS with AutoCAD Electrical 2015

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
scottmoyse
4591 Views, 14 Replies

Office 2010 32 bit isn't supported on 64 bit OS with AutoCAD Electrical 2015

The system requirements for all the Autodesk Products and Suites which install the 64 bit 2010 Access Runtime / ACE Drive / Redistributables onto a 64 bit Operating System, WILL NOT allow users to install the recommended 32 bit installation of Office 2010. They MUST upgrade to Office 2013 or revert to Office 2007 (not supported by some autodesk 2015 products).

It's important the Autodesk Development teams DON'T switch to installing the 2013 Access Runtime next year, otherwise it either won't install if Office 2013 32 bit is already installed, or Office 2013 32 bit will subsequently fail to install.

2014-08-29_16-34-04.jpg

Autodesk please update your Suite & Product system requirements to reflect this. This information can't be found anywhere... in fact often, system requirements for Suites can be in conflict with the System Requirements of the products within them.... odd.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
scottmoyse
in reply to: scottmoyse

I've also created a blog post about this here

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 3 of 15
pendean

Install MSOffice2010/2013 first perhaps: at least it was on all the PCs when we added Aut0CAD/LT 2015. No issues.

We are soon migrating to Office365 so I don't anticipate ever having to deal with MSOffice2013 or later installs in the future.

Message 4 of 15
scottmoyse
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:

Install MSOffice2010/2013 first perhaps: at least it was on all the PCs when we added Aut0CAD/LT 2015. No issues.

Install order doesn't help. You can't install a 32bit version of a product alongside a 64 bit one. Period. In addition AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT don't install Access 2010 Runtime, so you wouldn't have this issue.

pendean wrote:

We are soon migrating to Office365 so I don't anticipate ever having to deal with MSOffice2013 or later installs in the future.

Office 365 installs Office 2013. Soooo.....

But the problem isn't with Office 2013 anyway. If you install Office 2013 32 bit it will work just fine, since the Access Runtime 64 bit is from a different product... Office 2010.

I'm guessing you didn't read my OP completely and/or understand me correctly. I don't blame you, everytime I explain this to someone at Autodesk they don't get it either. The only one who has so far is CAM from the Autodesk Help team.

Someone will know this is broken somewhere, because a CAD/IT Manager in a large enterprise account somewhere will have told their account manager about it. 

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 5 of 15

Hello Scott,

Thanks for the posting for this issue. Here are some comments for the problem.

1. AutoCAD Electrical 2015 64bit(with Access database engine 2010 64bit) can work with Office 2010 32bit in the 64bit OS with the following steps.
    a. Install Office 2010 32bit
    b. Install the AutoCAD Electrical 2015 64bit(along with ACE, the Access database engine 2010 64bit will be installed as well)
    c. Now you can work with both Office 2010 32bit and AutoCAD Electrical 2015 64bit

2. There will be some issue with some other workflows.
    a. After the Steps in the item 1, If you do a update for the Office 2010 32bit, then the following error message will pop out. You need to uninstall the Access database engine 2010 64bit to modify the Office 2010 32bit. After that, install the Access database engine 2010 64bit again from ACE2015 installer.

b. If you install the AutoCAD Electrical 2015 64bit(with Access database engine 2010 64bit) first, then install the Office 2010 32bit, then it can’t be installed, following dialog will pop out, you need to uninstall the Access database engine 2010 64bit, then install the Office 2010 32bit, then install the Access database engine 2010 64bit again from ACE2015 installer.

ACE_Driver_Office.png

3. For the 2 issues in the item2, we already have a Technical Solution when the problem happens, please refer to:
http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-electrical/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcartic...

Note:
1. When you manually install the Access database engine 2010 64bit, please install it from the ACE2015 or PrDS2015 Installer, refer to the Technical Solution for the path. Please don’t download the Access database engine 2010 64bit from Microsoft website, as if you download the Access database engine 2010 64bit from Microsoft website and install, it will be blocked as the 32bit Office is installed in the OS.

Thanks,
Robin Shou
Quality Assurance
AutoCAD Electrical
Autodesk, Inc.
Facebook Page : https://www.facebook.com/AutoCADElectrical
Blog Page : http://autodesk.typepad.com/systemsdesign/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_6ApchKwjN-0Wh8PzIjA_O0P6HRazOwH
AutoCAD Electrical App: https://itunes.apple.com/app/autocad-electrical/id736763190

Message 6 of 15

Thank you, that is a PITA workflow and I saw that TS, but those file paths don't exist with the Suite media. I tried those steps in the TS and they didn't work. In fact, on two different sites now, I have tried installing the ACE redist after installing ACADE and the installation gets blocked. 

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 7 of 15

Hello Scott,

We will update the TS with the correct Path in the Suite, we just find out that the path is different in the Suite, thank you for pointing it out.

You mentioned that when you tried the TS workflow, installed the ACE Redist after installing ACADE, the installation gets blocked. Do you have the screen shot for the error dialog? When you install the ACE Redist 64bit, have you make sure the ACE Redist 64bit is already uninstalled? As the ACE Redist 64bit is installed along with ACADE. No matter what Office version(32/64) installed in the OS.

And also have you used the TS workflow to fix the issue successfully for one time? I want to know if the installation block mentioned by you is consistent or random.

Thanks, 
Robin Shou 
Quality Assurance 
AutoCAD Electrical 
Autodesk, Inc.

Facebook Page : https://www.facebook.com/AutoCADElectrical

Blog Page : http://autodesk.typepad.com/systemsdesign/

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_6ApchKwjN-0Wh8PzIjA_O0P6HRazOwH

AutoCAD Electrical App: https://itunes.apple.com/app/autocad-electrical/id736763190

Message 8 of 15

I realize that this is an old thread but we just ran into this today while imaging a lab. I'm sorry but this is the dumbest thing I've ever run across. We deploy the Autodesk software to hundreds of lab computers along with Office 2013 32-bit (because even Microsoft says not to use the 64-bit version of Office except for super large Excel spreadsheets). So now we're going to be faced with either not being able to update Office or having AutoCAD Electrical throw errors on us every time we turn around.
Message 9 of 15
scottmoyse
in reply to: mikeh361

@Anonymous wrote:
I realize that this is an old thread but we just ran into this today while imaging a lab. I'm sorry but this is the dumbest thing I've ever run across. We deploy the Autodesk software to hundreds of lab computers along with Office 2013 32-bit (because even Microsoft says not to use the 64-bit version of Office except for super large Excel spreadsheets). So now we're going to be faced with either not being able to update Office or having AutoCAD Electrical throw errors on us every time we turn around.

Make sure you install the Access Runtime from the Autodesk Installer. Its a special installer that doesn't perform the check to see if 32bit office is installed.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 10 of 15
mikeh361

That's fine for an initial install, Scott, but Microsoft releases patches for Office 2013 monthly. The way I read RobinShou's post that means 1 of 2 things (or both) is going to happen on a monthly basis. Either Office 2013 won't get updated because the 64-bit runtime is installed or AutoCAD Electrical will stop working because the runtime is missing/corrupted. Our students don't have admin rights on the computers which means if either of those happen our support calls are going to go through the roof.
Message 11 of 15
scottmoyse
in reply to: mikeh361

It's not an issue. Install Office 365 / 2013. Then install the Autodesk products... all the Office updates work perfectly well with the Autodesk installation of 64bit Access Runtime. It's simply a matter of the initial installation order being correct. This scenario may cause an issue:

• Install office 2013 32 bit
  • Install Autodesk Suite inc Access Runtime 2013 64bit
  • Upgrade to a later version of Autodesk Suite in the future and Access Runtime 2016 64bit gets installed
  • Install Office 2016 32bit... the Microsoft installer throws its toys out the pram. (an Office 365 upgrade from 2013 maybe ok, not sure).

But by then the issue may have been resolved.... or you plan for it. In the meantime, I no longer have any issues, it was fine once I realised that the Autodesk installer for Access Runtime 2013 didn't perform the 32/64bit check the Microsoft Installer (That I downloaded) did.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 12 of 15
beau.gerber

I have already installed my suite of Autodesk products before installing Office 32-bit. Can I get away with just uninstalling ACE, installing Office 32-bit, then reinstalling ACE? In other words is ACE the only product that uses Access or do I need to uninstall every Autodesk product that i have already installed and then install Office 32-bit?

Message 13 of 15
mikeh361
in reply to: beau.gerber

Yes that will work but it has to be Autodesk's version and not Microsoft's. What I ended up doing with my Office installs was checking if ACE was installed, uninstalling it, doing the Office install, then reinstalling ACE. It seems to work and we've received no complaints from our labs.

Message 14 of 15
m_latz
in reply to: beau.gerber

You can also remove that "LaunchCondition" from the AceRedist.msi from the original Microsoft installation package and save this as transformation. Then install your Office package with that transformation. The advantage is, that also updates on office work.

AceRedist2010LC.png

regards

Markus

Message 15 of 15
dgorsman
in reply to: m_latz

I'll throw on a little addendum to this thread.

The original Microsoft whitepaper on migrating to x64 Office is widely mis-quoted and/or misinterpreted as saying "don't use 64-bit Office".  That's not correct.  What it does do, is note that customizations which rely on ActiveX plug-ins or controls may not function because they are not all available for x64.  At the time this warning was necessary as there were some users who had extensively customized Excel or Access with third-party tools which had not produced x64-compatible controls.  The vast majority of users are not affected by this problem; anyone who is using MS Office products out of the box, or with VBA coding and no third-party dialogs etc. are not affected either.  Anyone working on a modern version is now working with either x64-compatible ActiveX controls or more likely are using dotNET for customization.

In short there is virtually no risk to using x64 MS Office, and doing so makes integrating it with other x64 applications easier.  We've been doing so for years now, along with x64 Autodesk products, with no problems.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report