Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New physical server - how to make network license function with new server

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
sssteve72
353 Views, 5 Replies

New physical server - how to make network license function with new server

So we are getting a new server, you know the actual server the office runs on.  Of course the autodesk network license is part of this.

Of course the server name is different now so I assume this will cause the network license to stop functioning since the pathnames are changing.  We have ultimate building design suite with, revit, navisworks manage and I think Inventor installed.

What all needs to be changed to have a smooth transition?  I assume we have to update something with the network license manager on the server side.  But what about at each workstation ?

Custom Build with Win7 Pro 64Bit SP1
Gigabyte Tecohnology Co. X79-UD3
3.60 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3820
16GB GSkill Ripjaw Z PC3 2133 PC17000
PCI-E ATI FirePro V7800 2GB 256bit
ATA SanDisk SDSSDX24 SCSI Disk Device (256 GB)
Dell 2001FP, 2407WFPHC, ASUSVN289 in Triple monitor setup

Question - Are you the Common Denominator?
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
asburyj
in reply to: sssteve72

The first thing you will need to do is setup the license server on the new hardware. You can refer to the below guide.

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2011/11/quick-start-setting-up-a-license-server.html

You will need a new license file because they license files are bound by Mac address so they cannot be transferred from system to system. 

Next you will want to point all your clients from the old server to the new.

There are two options for pointing the clients to the new server.

Option 1: Update Licpath.lic files

This is the file that tells the product where to find the license server. Typicaly that file is found in every autodesk program's root folder (ex. C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Civil 3D 2013\). Open the Licpath.lic file in notepad and you will see what server the software is trying to pull the license from. The formatting will be something like "Server        Servername        XXXXXXXXXXXX"

You can update the "Servername" part to the correct server to the correct server name and save the file. You can then copy that file to any other effected machines/programs and they will point to the correct server. 

Options 2: Using the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE environment variable.

Setting this environmental variable on a system will override the licpath.lic files and direct all Autodesk software on a system to a specified server. Instructions on how to do this can be found at the below link. 

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-correct-a-program-...

Once all the clients are getting their license from the new server you can safely retire the old server. 

Jeffry Asbury
Message 3 of 6
sssteve72
in reply to: asburyj

If we update the licpath.lic file does this need to be done for each program on a particular workstation.  What I mean is, I see there are multiple files on a machine, one in a Navis Manage folder, one in Revit folder etc.  Does this operation have to be done for each programs licpath.lic file ?

Message 4 of 6
asburyj

Yes it would be for each program on each system. If you have multiple programs the environment variable is the usually the quickest option

Jeffry Asbury
Message 5 of 6
sssteve72
in reply to: asburyj

I assume we could make one file and just copy it to all the required folders if we did that.

Thank you!

Message 6 of 6
asburyj

yes, the file is the same for all programs so you can copy it to all the directories and replace the existing one. 

Jeffry Asbury

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report