Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networked Inventor 2010 Suite companion AutoCAD Mech installs as standalone

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
kstate92
593 Views, 5 Replies

Networked Inventor 2010 Suite companion AutoCAD Mech installs as standalone

For about the third time during new or re-imaged computers setup by our IT guys, the Inventor Suite installs and works without issue as a networked license, but the companion AutoCAD Mechanical demands to be activated on startup.  I'm not sure how they fixed it the last couple of times.  I'm also not sure how they install in the first place, if their deployment is screwed up or if they're just using the stock installer off the disc.  The real problem is they're two states away and we're the only ones using this software.  By now, they absolutely hate working with Autodesk products given these recurring problems (and seemingly ever-changing products, bundles, license managers, etc...).

I did run across several threads about folks converting standalone installs into networked versions simply by changing a DWORD in the registry, such as:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Stand-alone-to-Network-2010-R18-0/m-p/2453652

but I couldn't find an exact match of my scenario.  Since I already have the mentioned ProductInformation.pit file and a LICPATH.LIC file (in the Inventor 2010 folder, but not the ACADM 2010 folder), I wonder if backing up the registry and changing the Dword in my attachment from 2 to 1 might be worth a try. I was hoping for some insights on this or if there is another solution that I'm missing.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
DarrenP
in reply to: kstate92

if the registry hack doesn't work

the only other way is  to uninstall autocad Mechanical and install as a network license

it sounds like they didn't configure Autocad Mechanical to install as a network and they just left as default which is standalone

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
kstate92
in reply to: DarrenP

Darren,

This is the part I don't understand.  Since the activation dialog lists Autodesk Inventor Suite 2010 when starting up AutoCAD Mechanical, doesn't that mean it *is* part of the suite and not a separate install?  Why would the default install behaviour be different than the main part of the Suite being installed?

How can I verify the installed Mechanical is actually part of the Suite and not a stand-alone?

KState92
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 4 of 6
DarrenP

the Inventor Suite consists of Autocad Mechanical and Inventor they both need to be configured separtely

just because you configured inventor to run as Network doesn't make mechanical run as network also and vice vera

this is fixed in the latest suites

you would have to have access to the deployment so you can check the deployment

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
kstate92
in reply to: DarrenP

The registry hack didn't work so I uninstalled Mechanical 2010 and re-ran the setup.exe on the Inventor DVD image and picked just AutoCAD Mechanical 2010 to install.  I almost missed the step where to expose the carefully hidden option of Standalone or License but it completed and now is running properly off the network license.

"this is fixed in the latest suites"

[Sarcasm] Gee, I can't imagine why. [/Sarcasm]

KState92
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 6 of 6
DarrenP

@kstate92 wrote:
"this is fixed in the latest suites"

[Sarcasm] Gee, I can't imagine why. [/Sarcasm]

this was a known issue with the eariler suites that autodesk fixed in the new suites

thats all i was saying

DarrenP

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report