Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network OS Recommendations

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
255 Views, 13 Replies

Network OS Recommendations

Currently we are running Novell SB 5 as our server OS. We are going to be upgrading our server and server software here in the next couple of months. We will most likely be switching to network license management of AutoCAD licenses within the next 12-18 months and will need to be able to manage more than 11 licenses. From what I have gathered, Novell is not supported with FLEXlm. First, can someone verify this? Secondly, any recommendations for the upgrade Network OS that would function well with FLEXlm. Thanks, Andrew Roberts
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Can't comment on FLEXlm, but I can on OS. I have several WinDoze servers - NT4, 2K & 2003, however my primary CAD & Print server is Novell 6.0. I would stick with Novell. You can run FLEXlm on an NT workstation or from an accounting server, etc. Rich "Andrew Roberts" wrote in message news:407aa87f$1_1@newsprd01... > Currently we are running Novell SB 5 as our server OS. We are going to be > upgrading our server and server software here in the next couple of months. > We will most likely be switching to network license management of AutoCAD > licenses within the next 12-18 months and will need to be able to manage > more than 11 licenses. From what I have gathered, Novell is not supported > with FLEXlm. > > First, can someone verify this? > > Secondly, any recommendations for the upgrade Network OS that would function > well with FLEXlm. > > Thanks, > Andrew Roberts > >
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

My understanding was that the network license management software needed to be run on a "server" designated machine. And that the software for license management with the latest version and/or for AutoCAD2005 is not supported on Novell. Now I'll admit that I don't know everything about IT items, but unfortunately I know enough to be the in-house guy for the easy-medium problems. The workstations that we have in house are mostly WinXP Pro with a few Win98 Beta. Could we set up a workstation to be an "extra" server (with no production on it) to run the license manager? "rich keitz" wrote in message news:407ab87c$1_2@newsprd01... > Can't comment on FLEXlm, but I can on OS. I have several WinDoze servers - > NT4, 2K & 2003, however my primary CAD & Print server is Novell 6.0. > > I would stick with Novell. You can run FLEXlm on an NT workstation or from > an accounting server, etc. > > Rich
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

Andrew Roberts wrote: > My understanding was that the network license management software needed to > be run on a "server" designated machine. And that the software for license > management with the latest version and/or for AutoCAD2005 is not supported > on Novell. Now I'll admit that I don't know everything about IT items, but > unfortunately I know enough to be the in-house guy for the easy-medium > problems. > > The workstations that we have in house are mostly WinXP Pro with a few Win98 > Beta. Could we set up a workstation to be an "extra" server (with no > production on it) to run the license manager? > > "rich keitz" wrote in message > news:407ab87c$1_2@newsprd01... > >>Can't comment on FLEXlm, but I can on OS. I have several WinDoze > > servers - > >>NT4, 2K & 2003, however my primary CAD & Print server is Novell 6.0. >> >>I would stick with Novell. You can run FLEXlm on an NT workstation or > > from > >>an accounting server, etc. >> >>Rich > > > You can do that, and it doesn't have to be much of a machine as long as it's reliable. In my experience you do not have to use a server OS on a Flexlm machine, win2k pro or xp pro will do just fine. We just took an old workstation that was being taken out of circulation to use as our license server. It's been chugging along just fine for 3 years.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

"Andrew Roberts" wrote in message news:407aa87f$1_1@newsprd01... > Currently we are running Novell SB 5 as our server OS. We are going to be > upgrading our server and server software here in the next couple of > months. > We will most likely be switching to network license management of AutoCAD > licenses within the next 12-18 months and will need to be able to manage > more than 11 licenses. From what I have gathered, Novell is not supported > with FLEXlm. > > First, can someone verify this? > > Secondly, any recommendations for the upgrade Network OS that would > function > well with FLEXlm. > > Thanks, > Andrew Roberts > Running flex on NT Workstation/XP Pro will limit connections to 10, the TCP connection limit. That said, MS's Small Business Server provides a lot of value for a relatively low price. Mike
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

That being said, which I am concerned about, it would be wise to move to the MS SB network OS. I guess a follow-up question would be is FLEXlm the only license management software available for AutoCAD? Thanks for the info! Andrew Roberts > Running flex on NT Workstation/XP Pro will limit connections to 10, the TCP > connection limit. > That said, MS's Small Business Server provides a lot of value for a > relatively low price. > > > Mike > >
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Are you sure? I thought the limit of 10 connection is on 2K and XP (and above when they arrive.) NT4 and older should work. I used to run a 45 node Win 3.11 peer-to-peer network. Damn Admiral wouldn't cough up the money for a real network, but hey whatever works.... Use a computer too old to run CAD for FLEWlm and buy a $5 copy of NT4 from eBay. (For that matter buy a NT4 Server from eBay. Who cares, it's just going to sit there and serve up licenses. Here's a "new" $20 NT4 Server (5 CALS): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41886&item=3671534296&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW Here's a " new" $5 NT4 Workstation: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41886&item=3671160443&rd=1 You don't need to worry about CALS if all you're running on the NT4 Server is FLEXlm. And if you're using a NT4 Workstation then CALS are a mute point. Regards, Rich >Mike Donahue" wrote in message news:407acdcf$1_3@newsprd01... > > "Andrew Roberts" wrote in message > news:407aa87f$1_1@newsprd01... > > Currently we are running Novell SB 5 as our server OS. We are going to be > > upgrading our server and server software here in the next couple of > > months. > > We will most likely be switching to network license management of AutoCAD > > licenses within the next 12-18 months and will need to be able to manage > > more than 11 licenses. From what I have gathered, Novell is not supported > > with FLEXlm. > > > > First, can someone verify this? > > > > Secondly, any recommendations for the upgrade Network OS that would > > function > > well with FLEXlm. > > > > Thanks, > > Andrew Roberts > > > Running flex on NT Workstation/XP Pro will limit connections to 10, the TCP > connection limit. > That said, MS's Small Business Server provides a lot of value for a > relatively low price. > > > Mike > >
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

Hi Mike, FLEXlm runs fine on any Windows OS (server or workstation), there is no limits to 10 connection for FLEXlm on server nor workstation, if you check dictation on this same news group "Limit to 10 users" you will find out that people running 100 licenses on a workstation at the same time and they never had any problems. Hope it helps. Efim "Andrew Roberts" wrote in message news:407ad9c2$1_3@newsprd01... > That being said, which I am concerned about, it would be wise to move to the > MS SB network OS. I guess a follow-up question would be is FLEXlm the only > license management software available for AutoCAD? > > Thanks for the info! > > Andrew Roberts > > > > Running flex on NT Workstation/XP Pro will limit connections to 10, the > TCP > > connection limit. > > That said, MS's Small Business Server provides a lot of value for a > > relatively low price. > > > > > > Mike > > > > > >
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

"Efim Tetelman (Autodesk, Inc)" wrote in message news:407addce$1_1@newsprd01... > Hi Mike, > > FLEXlm runs fine on any Windows OS (server or workstation), there is no > limits to 10 connection for FLEXlm on server nor workstation, if you check > dictation on this same news group "Limit to 10 users" you will find out > that > people running 100 licenses on a workstation at the same time and they > never > had any problems. > > Hope it helps. > > Efim Interesting. Saw that. By default, Windows should refuse any connection requests over the count of 10. The flexlm heartbeat must not be active enough to conflict with that setting. I would feel uncomfortable running 100 stations, myself though. Maybe this has morphed into something hard-coded in 2000 into a EULA item in XP? Here's the relevant MS articles. XP: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314882%22 2000: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;122920 Mike
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

So this means that the Novell OS software could potentially still be used when we go to upgrade. Then in order to use the network licensing software, set up a work station to handle this duty ... would this workstation need any OS upgrades, or will WinXP Pro be sufficient? "Mike Donahue" wrote in message news:407ae101$1_2@newsprd01... > > "Efim Tetelman (Autodesk, Inc)" wrote in > message news:407addce$1_1@newsprd01... > > Hi Mike, > > > > FLEXlm runs fine on any Windows OS (server or workstation), there is no > > limits to 10 connection for FLEXlm on server nor workstation, if you check > > dictation on this same news group "Limit to 10 users" you will find out > > that > > people running 100 licenses on a workstation at the same time and they > > never > > had any problems. > > > > Hope it helps. > > > > Efim > > Interesting. Saw that. By default, Windows should refuse any connection > requests over the count of 10. The flexlm heartbeat must not be active > enough to conflict with that setting. I would feel uncomfortable running > 100 stations, myself though. > Maybe this has morphed into something hard-coded in 2000 into a EULA item in > XP? > Here's the relevant MS articles. > XP: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314882%22 > 2000: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;122920 > > Mike > >
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Win XP Pro, or Win 2000 will be fine. Regards, Efim "Andrew Roberts" wrote in message news:407ae62d_1@newsprd01... > So this means that the Novell OS software could potentially still be used > when we go to upgrade. Then in order to use the network licensing software, > set up a work station to handle this duty ... would this workstation need > any OS upgrades, or will WinXP Pro be sufficient? > > "Mike Donahue" wrote in message > news:407ae101$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > "Efim Tetelman (Autodesk, Inc)" wrote in > > message news:407addce$1_1@newsprd01... > > > Hi Mike, > > > > > > FLEXlm runs fine on any Windows OS (server or workstation), there is no > > > limits to 10 connection for FLEXlm on server nor workstation, if you > check > > > dictation on this same news group "Limit to 10 users" you will find out > > > that > > > people running 100 licenses on a workstation at the same time and they > > > never > > > had any problems. > > > > > > Hope it helps. > > > > > > Efim > > > > Interesting. Saw that. By default, Windows should refuse any connection > > requests over the count of 10. The flexlm heartbeat must not be active > > enough to conflict with that setting. I would feel uncomfortable running > > 100 stations, myself though. > > Maybe this has morphed into something hard-coded in 2000 into a EULA item > in > > XP? > > Here's the relevant MS articles. > > XP: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314882%22 > > 2000: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;122920 > > > > Mike > > > > > >
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

Mike Donahue wrote: > "Efim Tetelman (Autodesk, Inc)" wrote in > message news:407addce$1_1@newsprd01... > >>Hi Mike, >> >>FLEXlm runs fine on any Windows OS (server or workstation), there is no >>limits to 10 connection for FLEXlm on server nor workstation, if you check >>dictation on this same news group "Limit to 10 users" you will find out >>that >>people running 100 licenses on a workstation at the same time and they >>never >>had any problems. >> >>Hope it helps. >> >>Efim > > > Interesting. Saw that. By default, Windows should refuse any connection > requests over the count of 10. The flexlm heartbeat must not be active > enough to conflict with that setting. I would feel uncomfortable running > 100 stations, myself though. > Maybe this has morphed into something hard-coded in 2000 into a EULA item in > XP? > Here's the relevant MS articles. > XP: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314882%22 > 2000: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;122920 > > Mike > > I'm pretty sure* that flex doesn't keep a connection open for any measurable amount of time. My understanding is that it quickly checks out a license and then sends the occasional heartbeat. The liklyhood of hitting 10 open connections at the same time is extremely low. Even hitting 2 or 3 would be unlikely if the process is as quick as I understand it. *disclamer: I can't back up any of these claims with anything but personal experience.
Message 13 of 14
patrick_aps

Alltough the buying of these NT4 licenses may sound cheap, if you have no expericece in setting them up, you could waste a lot of time in downgrading the OS of the computer from XP to NT4. Having lots of different OS is not a way of standarizing and bringing down IT costs.
My advise: The old CAD station on XP. Be sure to have some spare parts of it (power supply, hard disk). Keep it always on. You even can use it to connect a printer/plotter to it and share it. Of build a DVD-+R drive into it to make disks of whole projects for archiving or so.
Perhaps make even a Ghost image of it on a 2nd disk that you keep out of the computer. As long as you don't change the network card, the TCP/IIP adress (this machine should have a fixed adress) or the computer name, the disk can be replaced.
As all your workstations will have a Novell Client, i guess the 10-connetion limit will not be present. This has, in my meaning only to do in a 100% pear-to-pear network.

Just try it and keep it simple.
Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

I agree with most of your suggestion. However, there's nothing wrong with using a NT4 (workstation or server) for a FLEXlm server. XP = hacker target (lots of administration time) NT4 = under the radar now (low adminstration time) Rich "patrick_aps" wrote in message news:6319229.1081838510811.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Alltough the buying of these NT4 licenses may sound cheap, if you have no expericece in setting them up, you could waste a lot of time in downgrading the OS of the computer from XP to NT4. Having lots of different OS is not a way of standarizing and bringing down IT costs. > My advise: The old CAD station on XP. Be sure to have some spare parts of it (power supply, hard disk). Keep it always on. You even can use it to connect a printer/plotter to it and share it. Of build a DVD-+R drive into it to make disks of whole projects for archiving or so. > Perhaps make even a Ghost image of it on a 2nd disk that you keep out of the computer. As long as you don't change the network card, the TCP/IIP adress (this machine should have a fixed adress) or the computer name, the disk can be replaced. > As all your workstations will have a Novell Client, i guess the 10-connetion limit will not be present. This has, in my meaning only to do in a 100% pear-to-pear network. > > Just try it and keep it simple.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report