Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8
kknauss
301 Views, 7 Replies

Network Licenses

So here's a scenario:

An office is on subscription.

20 users are using AutoCAD 2005. The office has 20 network license seats. User number 21 tries to open AutoCAD 2005 and is denied access. User no. 21 proceeds to open AutoCAD 2004.

Will they be allowed access?
Is this legal?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cy_shuster
in reply to: kknauss

No, and no. 2004 and 2005 use different licenses, and are completely
independent.

It wouldn't work even if there were no users using 2005.

--Cy--

wrote in message
news:5314458@discussion.autodesk.com...
So here's a scenario:

An office is on subscription.

20 users are using AutoCAD 2005. The office has 20 network license seats.
User number 21 tries to open AutoCAD 2005 and is denied access. User no. 21
proceeds to open AutoCAD 2004.

Will they be allowed access?
Is this legal?
Message 3 of 8
kknauss

Yes, different licenses are used. We currently have a license files for both 2004 and 2005 in FlexLM. My understanding is that if on subscription you're allow to keep older versions of AutoCAD.

My question is if all lic. files are being used, will FlexLM allow someone to open an older lic. file? My guess is that it won't. But, if it does, would that be violation of the end-user lic. agreement?

Kerry
Message 4 of 8
TravisNave

Subscription does allow you to keep and use your previous licenses and use them. However, the license agreement clearly states that you cannot use more licenses than you currently own. This means that even though you can use your 2004 licenses with 2005, you can still only use them on a 1 for 1 basis.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 8
cy_shuster

Right. If you bought 20 seats, you're allowed to use up to 20 seats.

--Cy--

wrote in message news:5314608@discussion.autodesk.com...
Subscription does allow you to keep and use your previous licenses and use
them. However, the license agreement clearly states that you cannot use
more licenses than you currently own. This means that even though you can
use your 2004 licenses with 2005, you can still only use them on a 1 for 1
basis.
Message 6 of 8
JPM

Someone in a previous thread on this issue offered a solution that I am now using. I have AutoCAD 2007 and 2005 on my network (never did get around to installing 2006!).
I have set up phony groups in the .opt file for each version to reserve licenses. The lines are:
GROUP Limituse myuserid
RESERVE 12 licensename GROUP Limituse

This then limits these licenses so they can't be used by anyone other than my userid thus taking them out of circulation. I then split the licenses between the two groups so that there are a few licenses left for the stragglers still using the 2005 version. Works great as I can toggle the number as users move over to the 2007 version.

JPM
Message 7 of 8
TravisNave

That is a very good way to keep in line with the license agreement. Good thinking!!!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 8 of 8
kknauss

Thanks Everyone,

Very helpful and usefull responses. I appreciate it.

Kerry

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report