Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Installation/Deployment Questions

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
brent_e_barbour
277 Views, 5 Replies

Network Installation/Deployment Questions

What’s the most efficient way to install Product Design Suite 2017 on a small network with only 4 CAD workstations? 2 of the workstations get APDSU and 2 get APDSP. This network, server, and workstation is isolated from the internet. I put the server online temporarily only long enough to download the installs.

1st attempt; I created deployments in silent mode. I accessed the deployment files from each of the workstations. They appeared to be running. I let them run over the weekend. When I came in on Monday, they were still running.

2nd attempt; I accessed the install files on the server from a workstation. It’s been hung up on “61 of 75 remaining” for quite a while.

3rd attempt; I’m copying the setup files to a local drive on a workstation. It’s still copying so I haven’t tried anything yet, but that’s probably not a very efficient method.

I read about writing a script file to deploy and have reviewed the “read me” txt files, but I’m not exactly sure what to write or how to use the script files. How do I specify which workstation gets what? Please give me an example of the code. Do I run the script file from the server or from each workstation?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

@brent_e_barbour

Creating deployments is probably the easiest method but at the same time you are only installing it on 4 machines.  Not sure if there's a benefit in doing so.

Also as I indicated here...  Have you tried that yet? I have done numerous deployments and single installations (without deployments) and only had minor issues.   But like I said run the first install in a non-silent mode  

For scenario #2, make sure there's no hidden window/dialog waiting for your input.  Also running the actual install files over your network may cause delays due to your network infrastructure.  

Scenario #3.  You don't really want to do that especially if your network is slow.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 6

There could be an issue with the network connectivity between the server and the clients. Since you're copying the deployment onto the client machines, you'll need to change the deployment target locations within the shortcut as well as the 2 ini files within the Img directory...

To find the paths within the ini files, search the file for the original path...

Within the shortcut, there's 2 paths within the target and 1 for the Start in field

If this information was helpful, please consider using the Accept Solution

Message 4 of 6

I have been unsuccessful in creating a new deployment not in silent mode.  I keep getting errors.  I'm still trying.  Also, I followed your link and read your post for 2017 installation.  I'm still processing and haven't attempted your suggestions yet.  Meanwhile, we're down and will be very unproductive until I can get this figured out.  I hate Autodesk upgrades, but it's a necessary evil.

Message 5 of 6

Download the software from the Autodesk Virtual Agent

Once there, use the Download Links option to navigate to the application you need to download.

NOTE: If there are multiple parts for the download, you'll need to click each part to download them, one they are downloaded double-click Part1 (which will automatically extract the remaining parts) to begin the installation.

If this information was helpful, please consider using the Accept Solution

Message 6 of 6

Thank you everyone for your help! I resolved me issue. This is what I did….

1. I backed up the Vaults through ADMS.
  2. I upgrades Vault Basic Server and migrated the Vaults. 
  3. I created a Product Design Suite deployment from the server on a shared drive with “Silent Mode” UNCHECKED. This is key. Running deployments in silent mode is what screwed me up and will never tell you if it’s hung up so installs will go forever.
  4. I removed every previous Autodesk component from each individual workstation. After painstakingly removing each component one at a time through control panel, I discovered the Autodesk Uninstall Tool which made it MUCH easier.
  5. I activated the deployment on the shared drive through each workstation. 

I only do this once a year so I need to remember all these tricks for next year when 2018 is released. I’d be interested to read your critiques or if any of you know of any easier methods.

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report