Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

network deployment and my need..

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
287 Views, 3 Replies

network deployment and my need..

Hi,
I manage the computer labs in our university. We are upgrading to Autodesk 2009 in the fall.
In the past I am told that a network deployment has always been created and then installed on the "base image" used for all the pcs on campus. Is this the purpose that the network depolyment serves?

To get more detailed. I create one base image, then use microsoft sysprep, and symantec ghost to create and deploy the images to the lab pcs. We have a autodesk network license that we run off a license server.

Couldn't I just install the software directly on to the "master image" pc instead of making network deployment packages?

I am just a bit confused as to what purpose the network deployment serves and if it pertains to my use.

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
TravisNave
in reply to: Anonymous

If your licenses are Network seats that connect to a central network license manager, then yes you can just create your sysprep Ghost image with the Autodesk product pre-installed. If the licenses are stand-alone activations, then you cannot. Hope that helps. It's exactly what I do with my training labs. However, I have moved from Norton Ghost to an Acronis Snap Deploy PXE Server for image and deployment. Might look into it. It's very nice!

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Thanks for the quick response.

I think I may have come up with a reason that it is done with a network deployment.

When students logon to the computers, which are in a frozen state (any mods a user makes are removed from the system on restart), when the student logs in a profile is created for them on the pc (I know, its stupid to create a profile that will be deleted on restart they won't let me change it though). If a standard install is used I can not customize some of the file locations and paths, where as by using a network deployment I can change the paths and file locations that would go into the "users profile", and change them to go to the ALL USERS profile. Saving login time for profile creation.

Darn, that sucks because creating network deployments takes forever !!! 😞
Message 4 of 4
TravisNave

That may be true, but I don't see why you can't do this for one system and make an image of it once the modifications are complete and working. Unless of course you are doing something completely non-standard with your network and profiles. I know that school settings are often a bit more strict than business ones.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report