Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5
Steve_Be
624 Views, 4 Replies

Multiple NIC question

I have a server with 2 NIC's. What I would like to do is purchase a 3'rd USB NIC and use it for my FlexLM authentication. My question is, with 2 or 3 MAC's listed on the "server" tab of lmtools, does it matter which I use for licensing? Does it need to be the first one listed and if so how do I go about rearranging the order?

Thanks,
Steve
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
TravisNave
in reply to: Steve_Be

NIC order doesn't matter.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

> NIC order doesn't matter.

It might be like this now but it didn't use to be
like this.

Just a few years ago ptc (pro engineer) had
problems with ordering. If the network card wasn't the first one it would not
get accepted.

So it might work for Autodesk but it's definetly
not something you can rely on in all cases.

Message 4 of 5
Steve_Be

Thanks for your input.
NIC order (in the registry) does matter for PTC. I have 5 or 6 different CAD packages that will need to be served from this machine (the licenses that is).
What I would like to know is this. In the "System Settings" tab of lmtools, if you have multiple NIC's, they are all listed. Changing the order of the NIC's in the registry did not seem to effect the order they were listed in the lmtools box.
So my question is, in that little box, can I choose the 2'nd or 3'rd NIC for licensing or does it have to be the first one? And also, how can I change the order in which they are listed (if I need to)?

Thanks again,
Steve
Message 5 of 5
TravisNave

You can choose the 2nd or 3rd one. In fact, my license manager now is using my 2nd MAC, which I believe is my BlueTooth. Whenever I disable that functionality my NLM stops working. Granted, you can always clone the MAC address of one device over to the other if absolutely necessary. I do this occasionally.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report