Say we have 1 Plant Design Suite Premium license and 1 Plant Design Suite Ultimate license reserved for a group.
Todd launches Plant 3D and uses the Premium. Steve launches Plant 3D also, and uses the remaining Ultimate license.
Now, let’s say Todd tries to launch Navisworks Manage. He needs an Ultimate license.
1) Will Steve have to shut down his Plant 3D to return the Ultimate license so Todd can use it?
2) Will the license manager work instantly to swap out Steve’s Ultimate license and replace it with the Premium so Todd can have the Ultimate?
3) Does Todd have to close Plant, wait 1 to 2 minutes while the license manager drops Steve’s Ultimate and replaces it with freed Premium, so Todd can use the Ultimate?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Assuming you only have one license of each in reserve, then Todd would never be able to launch the reserved license that Steve uses because Steve's license will always be reserved regardless if he is in the program or not. That's also assuming each are not in the other's groups and there is only one seat of each license.
Therefore, I can only assume that you have more than one seat of each flavor and only one of them is reserved for each group of engineers. That being said, so long as there are licenses available of the other flavor, the program will check out Ultimate in place of Premium. However, since a Premium is still reserved, it will still remain reserved. Todd will not take Steve's reserved license but a second license if available. It will only take Steve's reserve if 1.) Steve isn't using it and 2.) Todd is part of the group that is reserved for Ultimate.
So to try and best answer your question, I am going to assume that both Todd and Steve are in both groups reserved for each product and that you have more than one seat of each product in the pool.
1. For Todd not to take an additional license of Ultimate, Steve would have to close out and allow Todd to use the reserve seat. Otherwise, the NLM will show a Reserve for Premium, a Reserve for Ultimate, and a Checked out License in addition for Ultimate that Todd is also using. If there are no available licenses, Todd would get a license -4 error.
2. No. The license manager only swaps out a license for a single user when it is available. It will not take a license away from another user even if there are "cheaper" licenses that the other user can use. Tood would be able to release his Premium for an Ultimate, if available, but it would not switch licenses with Steve. If there are no licenses available and Todd tries to launch an Ultimate product, then he will get a license -4 error.
3. Todd would have to close Premium. Steve would have to close Ultimate. Todd could then open Ultimate and Steve could open Premium. There is no way to make the license manager do a real-time swap of cascade between to users opening products. License release is real-time +-6 seconds and there should be no need to wait 2 minutes for this process. If it is reserved, it is technically always checked out anyway. It's just a matter of allowing the username access to that license.
I hope that answers your question.
Thank you. You're assumption is correct. They both have access to the Premium and Ultimate licenses. In the example I give we are assuming there a Reserve group with one Premium license and another with one Ultimate license. Todd and Steve are in both groups.
One thing I'm not quite 100% clear on is this - let's say someone launches a Premium level product but, because all the Premium licenses are taken, gets an Ultimate license instead. Then let's say a Premium license becomes available later. Does the license server cascade back the other way and release the Ultimate license to grab the Premium automatically, or does it hold on to the Ultimate until the user closes the product entirely?
Darren is right. It would be nice if it would do that but cascade only works at the time of acquiring the license or acquiring a higher license when activating a module within a program. Inventor Pro will take a Suite license and will update to a Pro license once a Pro module is used. But unfortunately, if there are no other licenses available and the app take a higher license on cascade, it will not trade it for a lower license when it becomes available. Closing the application is the only option, unfortunately.