Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Network License Manager to new Server

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
czylstra
4797 Views, 6 Replies

Move Network License Manager to new Server

I am decommissioning the server that is currently running our Autodesk Network License Manager and need to move this service to a new server.

Version - FLEXnet Licensing v11.5.0.0 build 56654 i86_n3 (lmgr.lib)

What is the best way to do this? I assume the current license file is tied to the current server.

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
DarrenP
in reply to: czylstra

yes the license file is tied to that server you are going to have autodesk generate a new license file for the new server

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
TravisNave

Yes, the license file is tied to the server, so you will ultimately need a new license file. That's no big deal. You can get that from Autodesk Activations at 1-800-551-1490. Simply install (or copy even) the license manager files to the new server and configure the service to run using your new license file.
As for the clients, you can simply launch them and put in the hostname of the new server when it asks you to specifiy the license server system, or you can create a system environment variable on the clients named ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE with the value of @SERVERNAME <-- replacing with the actual hostname of your new server.
If you run into any issues, post them here. Take down your old server so that you are not running more than one concurrently on the same network. That causes unintended issues.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 7
TravisNave

BTW, the latest version on the 2011 media is 11.7 if you have and want to install that version.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 7
dbsitsupport
in reply to: TravisNave

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if someone can help me, when I move Network License Manager to  new Server. I've got a wrong IP ADDRESS in the LMTOOLS not the correct IP on my server. I have a new autodesk license , configured the Server NAME and SERVER ID. So when I open the license file, i can see the correct SERVER HOST NAME and SERVER ID.

However, when i was configured the LMTOOLS on my server, for some reason I am getting a wrong IP ADDRESS e.g. 169.254.170.21 and this is not the correct IP on my server. I have tried uninstall/reinstall same thing happen. So now all clients machine autodesk is not working! not really sure what mistakes I've done.

Any advise greatly appriciated.

Thank you so much!

Message 6 of 7
TravisNave
in reply to: dbsitsupport

If your server is getting a 169. address then it is not getting a proper network connection or an IP from the DHCP server.  Futhermore, your NLM server should not be set for automatic IP address anyway.  You should always set a static IP address on your server to prevent DNS issues.  So manually set your new server with the proper IP address in your subnet and then verify the connectivity from the client.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 7
dbsitsupport
in reply to: TravisNave

Thank you so much Travis for your advise.

So strange, My server has a static IP address I configured IP - Subnet Mask- default gateway + Preferred DNS Server. 
In addition, I did LMTOOLS configuration on my OLD server works well. However since my license was expired and I now have a new Autodesk license so my plan is to install to my new server but it wasn’t successful. I'll continue to investigate this issue and hoping to find immediate solution.

Thank you so much for you time and effort.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report