Installation & Licensing

sws.official
Message 1 of 5 (345 Views)
Accepted Solution

Models Created By Unlicensed/Non-commercial Versions Of Maya

345 Views, 4 Replies
12-27-2013 05:32 AM

Hello, everyone

Me and a few friends are planning on making a game to be sold later on. Some of my friends have already made models from maya , the thing is im not really sure what kind of licenses they're using so here is my question:

Does using models ,created by unlicensed or non-commercial Maya product , in a commercially licensed Maya would put us in a legal risk when the product is sold using those models ?

Correct, for your commercial gain you need to pony-up for commercial licenses and create content only in those programs. I believe you can lease MAYA as opposed to a full license purchase http://www.autodesk.com/products/autodesk-maya/buy

You'll need to confirm in the MAYA forum (not here), other Autodesk software get a stamp on all printed output denoting EDU software was used with those objects.
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 5 (343 Views)

Re: Models Created By Unlicensed/Non-commercial Versions Of Maya

12-27-2013 05:37 AM in reply to: sws.official
Not allowed, just as you suspected.
Fix it now or get sued for millions later when you all hit the jackpot off non-commercial software licenses
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
sws.official
Message 3 of 5 (336 Views)

12-27-2013 05:51 AM in reply to: pendean
By "fix it now" you mean we should remake the models in commercial version ?
and how can we (or autodesk) tell if the model was created in non-commercial version ?
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 5 (309 Views)

12-27-2013 09:04 AM in reply to: sws.official
Correct, for your commercial gain you need to pony-up for commercial licenses and create content only in those programs. I believe you can lease MAYA as opposed to a full license purchase http://www.autodesk.com/products/autodesk-maya/buy

You'll need to confirm in the MAYA forum (not here), other Autodesk software get a stamp on all printed output denoting EDU software was used with those objects.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
sws.official
Message 5 of 5 (297 Views)

12-27-2013 11:32 AM in reply to: pendean
Alright. Thanks for your replies, They were very helpful and cleared a lot of fog i had about the commercial use :smileyhappy:

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.