Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MentalRay dll not loading-MAX17

52 REPLIES 52
SOLVED
Message 1 of 53
mfeldhaus
28310 Views, 52 Replies

MentalRay dll not loading-MAX17

When opening an existing Max16 file (with mental ray as render) in 17, I get missing dll errors for mental ray.  The path in 17 is set to the location where the files are located, but they don't to load.

Obviuosly I can not select mental ray as the render in 17. So I have been playing with ART but not getting the same results as MR gives.  I need to stay with MR to finish current projects.  More time spent with ART and adjusting settings might help....we will see.

Thanks.

-M

52 REPLIES 52
Message 2 of 53
tony.su
in reply to: mfeldhaus

After I install 3ds max 2017, I can use mental ray.

So you can't render for only one scene or all scenes.

Could you zip and upload one, I'll test it.

1.jpg 

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 3 of 53
mfeldhaus
in reply to: tony.su

Thanks for the offer tony.su.  Not just existing files show the error, but I can start a new file and load my maxstart.max file and receive the error.  (see attached) This file has mentalray set as the renderer, so obviously the error shows.  If I start a new file with a generic setup, no error msg is generated but MentalRay is not listed as an available renderer....neither is Iray.  (see attached) 

The plugin manager shows them as loaded and a valid path.  (see attached)  For whatever reason the dll's are listed as missing. 

Any ideas?

Thanks for your assisstance.

-M

Message 4 of 53
tony.su

I'm not sure why.

Could you reinstall 3ds max?

And could you tell me what's OS you use?

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 5 of 53
mfeldhaus

I have tried you suggestion to re-installed Max, which has not helped.  I am running Windows 7 sp1.

Thanks.

-M

Message 6 of 53
tony.su

For some reason, mentalray.dlz wasn't installed.

1.jpg

So could you try to install MentalrayPlug again?

Attchment you can find it.

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 7 of 53
mfeldhaus

Hey Tony.

I ran the installer and the same results - see attached. I did a new install and also tried a repair. If I rename the maxstart.max file to say, maxstart1.max so that it doesn't load, max will load without the error msg.  But the iray and mental ray renderers are not available in the setup drop down.  See attached.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks for your help.

-M

Message 8 of 53
tony.su

Before you reinstall 3ds max, you should uninstall 'NVIDIA mental ray and IRay feature plugins for 3ds max 2017' and 'NVIDIA mental ray and IRay rendering plugins for 3ds max 2017'

1.jpg

And when you install Max, check if you can install mental ray plugins.

1.jpg

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 9 of 53
mfeldhaus

Hi Tony,

I did as you requested and uninstalled Max and the Nvidia plugins.  When running the install on Max I did not see the option to install the Nvidia plugins.  I completed the Max install and then looked at the installed programs - Nvidia MentalRay plugins are installed.  Ran Max and still no MentalRay rendered to select.  I ran the Mental ray standalone installer you sent yesterday, repair and then loaded Max again.  Still can not see mental Ray as an option under Renders.

More ideas to try?

Thanks for your time, let's see if we can't get this thing working.

-M

Message 10 of 53
mfeldhaus

Ha! a clue.....  🙂  .......after a closer look, what I see installed are the "feature plugins" at 4.26mb, what I am missing is the "rendering plugins" at 228mb.  I don't beleive the rendering plugins have ever been listed as installed, just the "feature".  Can I get an installer for the rendering plugins?

Thanks.

-M

Message 11 of 53
tony.su

try this one.

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 12 of 53
mfeldhaus

Tony

Success!!  That file did the trick.  I will play around and see if all is well, but initially all loads and I can se the MentalRay renderer.

Thank you for your help.

-M

Message 13 of 53
joelgray

I have the same issue. Mental Ray didn't install and it doesn't show up in the configuration list after a reinstall. I'll try the Mentalray.rar file you guys have posted here. What happened in the first place though? Why didn't this work the first time I installed it?

Message 14 of 53
mfeldhaus
in reply to: joelgray

joelgray,

Let us know if it works.

-M

Message 15 of 53
joelgray

Yes, it did work. Thank you. I'm still puzzled why Mental Ray was not an option in the installer and the files weren't part of the download. I spent many hours looking online for an answer to this issue. I guess I should have started here first.

Thanks again.

Joel Gray

Message 16 of 53
mfeldhaus
in reply to: joelgray

Hi Joel,

Great.  I was thinking I was the only one having the issue, so I am glad to hear it works for you too.

Have a great day.

-M

Message 17 of 53
tony.su

Where you guys got the install installation package? I'm curious. Because the file I gave was copied from installation package I had dowdloaded.

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 18 of 53
Math06

Hello, i have a problem with MentalRay when i execute the logiciel 3ds Max 2017. Message error DLL missing : mrmaterialattribs.gup, Classe : mental ray : material custom attribute. I already uninstall and re install the logiciel and MentalRay so i don't know where is my error ... Can you help me pls ? 🙂

Message 19 of 53
mfeldhaus

My download came from the link on my account management page for Autocad Design suite premium.  Been using 17 on a new project and all seems to work with the MR renderer.

Thanks,.

-M

Message 20 of 53
tony.su
in reply to: Math06

try to reinstall metal ray for 3ds Max.

Tony Su
Product Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report