Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mental Ray for Maya 2014 doesn't seem to read default ENV VARs

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
digo_bh
1586 Views, 4 Replies

Mental Ray for Maya 2014 doesn't seem to read default ENV VARs

Hi,

We've got Maya 2014 mannully installed in our network and I am having an issue with mentalray trying to locate some .mi files.

These are the messages I get in my shell when try to render only a polygon sphere with mental ray

MI   0.0      6 MB error  121002: failed to open /usr/include/mi/mayahair.mi for reading, No such file or directory
MI   0.0      6 MB error  121002: failed to open /usr/include/mi/abcimport.mi for reading, No such file or directory

And this is in maya:

// Error: (Mayatomr) : mental ray init failed, can't start render

If i try to use the physical Sun and Sky I get more errors Like:

// Warning: (Mayatomr.Scene) : output data type "rgba_h" not directly supported by image format tif, conversion performed by mental ray //

And in my shell:

API  0.0      6 MB error  301090: while defining options "miDefaultOptions": undefined options symbol "miDefaultOptions"
API  0.0      6 MB warn   302012: while defining options "miDefaultOptions": undefined options "miDefaultOptions"
API  0.0      6 MB error  301031: while defining options "miDefaultOptions": call to undeclared function "maya_state"
API  0.0      6 MB error  301031: while defining options "miDefaultOptions": call to undeclared function "adskFrameBufferState"
API  0.0      6 MB error  301031: call to undeclared function "adskMayaDirectionalLight"
API  0.0      6 MB error  301031: call to undeclared function "maya_shaderglow"
API  0.0      6 MB error  301031: call to undeclared function "adskMayaVolumeEngine"
API  0.0      6 MB error  301031: call to undeclared function "adskFrameBufferData"
API  0.0      6 MB error  301032: while defining camera "perspShape": undefined shader "shaderGlow1:perspShape"
API  0.0      6 MB error  301032: while defining camera "perspShape": undefined shader "volumeEngine1"
API  0.0      6 MB error  301031: call to undeclared function "maya_vertexdata"
API  0.0      6 MB error  301031: call to undeclared function "adskMayaLambert"
API  0.0      6 MB error  301031: call to undeclared function "adskMayaFastShadow"
API  0.0      6 MB error  301031: while defining material "initialShadingGroup": call to undeclared function "adskMayaShadingEngine"
API  0.0      6 MB error  301032: while defining material "initialShadingGroup": undefined shader "lambert1:shadow"
API  0.0      6 MB error  301031: call to undeclared function "adskMayaVolumeEngine"

I've added the folder that contains theses .mi files to all my environment variables I could possibily add to. The path in my system that contains the .mi files are in: ( /linux/maya2014/mentalray/shaders/include )

export MAYA_SCRIPT_PATH=${MAYA_SCRIPT_PATH}:/linux/maya2014/mentalray/scripts:/linux/maya2014/mentalray/scripts/AETemplates
    export MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH=${MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH}:/linux/maya2014/mentalray/plug-ins:/linux/maya2014/mentalray/bin
    export MI_CUSTOM_SHADER_PATH=/linux/maya2014/mentalray/shaders/include:/linux/maya2014/mentalray/shaders
    export XBMLANGPATH=${XBMLANGPATH}:/linux/maya2014/mentalray/icons
    export PYTHONPATH=${PYTHONPATH}:/linux/maya2014/mentalray/scripts
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/linux/maya2014/mentalray/shaders:/linux/maya2014/mentalray/shaders/include

export MENTALRAY_INCLUDE_LOCATION=/linux/maya2014/mentalray/plug-ins:/linux/maya2014/mentalray/shaders/include
    export MENTALRAY_LOCATION=/linux/maya2014/mentalray/:/linux/maya2014/mentalray/shaders/include:/linux/maya2014/mentalray/shaders
    export MENTALRAY_SHADERS_LOCATION=/linux/maya2014/mentalray/shaders/include:/linux/maya2014/mentalray/shaders
    export MI_LIBRARY_PATH=/linux/maya2014/mentalray/shaders:/linux/maya2014/mentalray/shaders/include:/linux/maya2014/mentalray/plug-ins:/linux/maya2014/mentalray/bin

But I still continue getting the error:

So What I've done to make it work was to create a symlink from:

/linux/maya2014/mentalray/shaders/include    to       /usr/include/mi/

Doing that, maya reads the mi files and I can render properly with no naugthy messages from Mental ray.

But this is not ideal workflow for us. We need to be able to add the folder /linux/maya2014/mentalray/shaders/include or even others to a variable that mental ray looks at and is happy with it.

Could someone tell me which variable that is? I Can't figure out which ones mental ray still need. Had looked everywhere.

Thank you very much for your attention in advance.

Rodrigo Guimaraes

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
santd
in reply to: digo_bh

Hello digo_bh,

Thank you for posting to the forums.

Since this is a question more specific to Maya and mental ray, it may be better next time to post at The Area forums (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Maya/ct-p/area-c2) forums.

However, to provide you with further information in regards to your issue I would recommend two more environment variables to test:

MAYA_MR_STARTUP_DIR

MAYA_MODULE_PATH

The MAYA_MODULE_PATH defines the search paths for Maya module files. A module file describes the install location of a plugin which has been distributed as a module. Maya will append subdirectories of this install location to the following path variables: MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH, MAYA_PRESET_PATH, MAYA_SCRIPT_PATH, PYTHONPATH and XBMLANGPATH.

The following table list the default paths, which will always follow any path that you specify.

Default for Linux:

$MAYA_APP_DIR/maya/2014/modules
$MAYA_APP_DIR/maya/modules
/usr/autodesk/modules/maya/2014
/usr/autodesk/modules/maya

You may want to add your custom path plus the default "$MAYA_APP_DIR/maya/2014/modules".

Cheers,

David Santos

Message 3 of 5
digo_bh

Hi David

Thanks for your reply.

I've inlcuded a few paths to the 2 new variables you provided me, just to be safe, but mental ray still trows the same error trying to find the .mi files at /usr/include/mi/.

I know they are in  ${MENTALRAY_DIR}/shaders/include, but Maya still doesn't read these variables as expected.

export MAYA_MODULE_PATH=${MENTALRAY_DIR}:${MAYA_DIR}/modules:${MENTALRAY_DIR}/shaders:${MENTALRAY_DIR}/shaders/include
export MAYA_MR_STARTUP_DIR=${MENTALRAY_DIR}:${MENTALRAY_DIR}/shaders:${MENTALRAY_DIR}/shaders/include

Is there any other variable missing?

Regards,

Rodrigo

Message 4 of 5
santd

Hi Rodrigo,

I spoke with one of my colleagues who is more familiar with the Linux system and he provided me the following information:

I would start by creating a new mental ray mod file.  It is not clear if this was done.

I attached it and it looks like the following. I was not able to upload the file with the .mod extension so be sure to remove the .txt extension and make .mod.  You will see we use this to point to all the libraries.  You just need to change the first (+ LOCALE:en_US mayatomr 3.11.1.4 /apps/caid/mentalrayForMaya2014) line to match your path.

+ LOCALE:en_US mayatomr 3.11.1.4 /apps/caid/mentalrayForMaya2014

MENTALRAY_LOCATION:=

MENTALRAY_SHADERS_LOCATION:=shaders

MENTALRAY_INCLUDE_LOCATION:=shaders/include

MAYA_RENDER_DESC_PATH+:=rendererDesc

IMF_PLUG_IN_PATH+:=bin/image

PATH+:=bin

[r] scripts: scripts

[r] presets: presets

I hope this information is helpful.

Cheers,

David Santos

Message 5 of 5
digo_bh

Hi David,

With the file you provided, Mental Ray read its shaders and libraries normally now. So we can start render pretty pictures with it. 😉

I appreciatte your time and support.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Rodrigo Guimaraes

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report